Harmony Hall Timelapse, by Wormy
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

JamminJ here. A new season brings a new name. It's what everyone called me anyway. :lol:

Use this thread for any construction updates or new things you see in the park, big or small. Unfortunately the hype leading up to Opening Day was unwarranted, as no prep work for 2015 has really even begun. But the park has a bunch of projects with all the various food places and waterslides, so of course this year's attractions and food additions would take precedence.

I have a feeling that certain projects for next year won't get underway for a while, so just use this thread to keep up with the ongoing various construction with Harmony Hall, Chickie and Petes and pretty much anything else you see. We will play it by ear and this thread could turn into exclusively 2015 stuff or that could be a whole new thread in the future.

Everyone is welcome to post their pics from their trips to Carowinds in the oncoming months, if you need a good free image hosting site, I would recommend http://www.imgur.com.

As various things progress and more pictures get posted remember some important rules.

1) Don't go into any unauthorized areas. If you even have to question if you are allowed to be somewhere, don't go there. This site represents a large community and it's too easy for one person to ruin the reputation of the site, and it's users. Don't be that guy.

2) Don't take your camera on any rides. As tempting as it might be to get an "exclusive view" it is against park rules to take a camera on rides. Even if a ride operator tells you it's okay, IT'S NOT! Of course this doesn't apply to Carolina Skytower. Take as many pictures as you want from there.

3) Don't post any of these pictures on any other websites. Instead feel free to link to this page telling others to come here to view the pictures.

4) I'm assuming as with the Intimidator construction in 2009, whatever next year brings will bring a lot of new people to this message board. Please be respectful to each other. It doesn't matter if you are a old user responding to a new user or vice versa. Together we can make the forum better, and attract more interest to Carowinds, and this forum.

Some of these pics aren't the greatest since the weather was uncooperative to say the least. As usual a link to a higher resolution picture will be under the picture posted.

So let's not bury the lead here...

LINK.

A fence!

LINK.

A peek over the fence shows the result of the tornado that hit the Go-Karts. The buidling is gone, but a mess remains. It looks eerily similar to the beginning of the Log Flume demolition in 2009, on a much smaller scale.

LINK.

LINK.

The whole area just looks naked and barren now, with the Go-Karts and Skyflyer gone. I'm sure that won't last too terribly long.

Some pics of the area from the Skytower..

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

The former bus parking lot looking empty as ever.

...Scanning...

The most visible project currently is the new Harmony Hall Marketplace going up in the old Intimidator field. It's going up very quickly and is deceptively large.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

Harmony Hall is the most visible thing under construction right now, and I have a bunch more pics of it in my gallery linked at the bottom of this post.

...Scanning...

The old Country Kitchen is no more, and has been replaced by Chick-Fil-A. It remains to be seen if Chick-Fil-A will be the only thing occupying this building, as that definitely seems like a lot of building for a fast food place. Especially one that is closed on Sundays. The outside looks nice with it's new coat of paint, but meanwhile the insides are being completely gutted.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

Meanwhile the old Chick-Fil-A building is being converted into a new Funnel Cake stand.

LINK.

...Scanning...

The old Outer Hanks is well underway into becoming a fully enclosed Chickie & Pete's. I'm really looking forward to this one actually as I thought they should have fully enclosed it long ago.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

...Scanning...

On to the new slides for this year, here is the patch of dirt where they will occupy. There are already some supports in, and all of the slide pieces are on the parking lot side of Thunder Road waiting to be installed.

LINK.

Snoopy Junction is still somewhat standing. The attendant manning the sign to tell people it was closed, informed me that it isn't a priority right now while Harmony Hall is under construction. But it is still there, and on this year's map, which is a good sign.

LINK.

...Scanning...

On to things that are already done, my favorite is the Ricochet repaint. I have been calling for it for years since it has looked terrible since about 2008. It now sports a funky blue and electric green paint job. Afterburn's new paint job also looks fantastic, but I didn't get any photos as grey track on grey clouds doesn't look too good.

LINK.

LINK.

The most visible change is the relocation of Skyflyer, now named Ripcord to match the rest of Cedar Fair's SkyCoasters. It was a really tight fit and looks nice, but I can't help but lament at the loss of yet even more trees.

LINK.

LINK.

Here are the rest of my pictures from Opening Day. LINK. I may post some minor things tomorrow, but I think I covered everything major. Anyone else feel free to add where I've missed.

Some other notes:

-Hurler is fantastic now.. until the 2nd turn. You can really feel the GCI influence.
-The park was completely dead all day, so we rode every single coaster in the park except Taxi Jam which we were denied. Even terrible Cobra and Nighthawk I took a spin on for the first time in 5 years.
-Carowinds has Geagua Lake ponchos. I would have rather had Villain myself.
-Really cool of Carowinds to do little commemorative pins for Afterburn's 15th anniversary. I'm glad we were all able to get one.
-Boo Blasters needs an overhaul badly. The guns haven't worked in forever, and now half the targets don't work either. Isn't very fun to shoot a non-working gun at a non-working target.
-I'm tired.
By coasterbruh
Man...your brave for taking -ride pictures...I'm shocked you weren't ejected from the park! Hahaha...why chick filet in such a large building? Also, there is still plenty of room next to harmony hall for a good size flat ride...or some trees. I'm sure we'll see the flat before the trees though...
By Edwardo
I may add some pix later. I echo everything Jay says though I didn't have a bad second turn experience in Hurler. I believe that ride will be much better when the rehab is done, much like thunder road (but can we please get the last two bunny hops on the silver side retracked?).

It was weird being there with SO much construction going on. I can't wait to see it all done.
By CPFriedman
When I was on the hurler, in the middle of all the turns I saw the sign for the Gr8 Skate. Not actually sure if it was the sign, but it was the logo.
By gabed
It really is incredible to see how much the park has changed over the last six months. Everything is looking great, especially Ricochet's new paint job. I hope I can get to the park soon and see all of this year's improvements. Now I can't wait until all of this year's projects are completed so the park doesn't seem like one big construction zone. (Not that that's a bad thing) :wink:
By KenB
Oh noes they're tearing up Carowinds! But only to build lots of (hopefully) good stuff.

I'm hoping Chickie's and Pete's is really good, as Outer Hanks has been my go-to spot for park food ever since it opened. OH was no cheaper than other places in the park, but the food was always pretty good in quality, even when some of the other places such as Wings declined to nearly inedible. It is nice to see it being enclosed which will be nice on those hot days.
By Wormy
Fashionably late. Stupid Flickr app wasn’t cooperating this weekend with live updates from the park. Whatever, but yes it was windy today.

Can’t emphasize enough what Jay said about “illegal” on-ride pics, but here’s a hint - from Drop Tower, choose the seats overlooking the Thrill Zone addition, and it’s pretty obvious the initial straight shot the new coaster may take…

Side note. Every coaster site out there is scrambling to update its look and technology. Bear in mind that the software that powers this site is continually “under construction” as well, but there are some cool bells and whistles on the horizon, so stay tuned.

Some highlights from today and yesterday,
[photosnack]pdcm2npp[/photosnack]
and the rest here.

Thanks for all the weekend opening contributions. Make ‘em count people.

Postscript: Hey uh, park webcam peeps? Whatcha got next? I play nice..
By swampfox43
Wow! Great photos Jay & Doug. Amazing what a blue sky can do to a photo. I was wondering if they ran Windseeker today with the high winds we had.

I can't remember an opening day where the park had this much construction still ongoing. I wonder why they started so late on all these projects? And how did I miss the carousel yesterday?
By Jonathan
I wonder if it has anything to do with the tax/subsidy deal with the city of Charlotte not being signed off on until near the end of August. A lot of this stuff could have been contingent upon that.
By RollerBee
Plaza is completely gone now except for the sign. Sadlly, Intimidator closed early due to wind yesterday as did Skytower. Hurler was fast yesterday and turn three is smooth.