Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By Techedchart1551
So, I'm not coming down on the GP or anything, but I thought this would be sorta funny. Here are a few quotes I've overheard from people about theme parks and/or roller coasters.

"Yo, have you been on the Lightning Rod? That thing scared me! I thought you'd be going up slowly but it just flew straight up the track!"

(So I'm going to carowinds for band in two days as of when this is posted)

"Have you been on the Copperhead Strike yet? It's so fast, and it sends you straight into a corkscrew right after the launch!"

"The Fury 325 is the tallest and fastest coaster on earth."

"I won't ride coasters without floors. It's too unsafe."

(Heard this yesterday)

"Oh my god! People were stranded on a roller coaster at dollywood! I hope they were okay!" -person after reading a news article about an E-stop on firechaser express.

Again, i'm not trying to be rude to the GP, but what are some funny things you've heard people say about theme parks/roller coasters that gave you a good laugh?
By Kw6sTheater
I took two of my friends to Carowinds back in the summer of 2016. One of them refused to ride Fury with me, but he was a good sport and did other rides like Afterburn and Carolina Cyclone. The other, who rode Fury with me twice, did many other rides as well. However, when we drove back home, I asked them this question; “Why didn’t you guys want to ride Intimidator?” Their response? “It’s taller than the Fury, right?” :lol: I proceeded to nonchalantly explain to them the substantial height difference between the two coasters.
By mdsmith98
So I have a few that I heard on preview night this year.

While in line for Fury, someone asked their friend “How tall is Fury?” Their friend replied with “I think it’s 365 feet tall.” I face palmed SO HARD.

Also in line for Fury, I heard another person tell their friend “Did you know the wheels come off the track during the ride? That’s crazy!”

I have nothing against the GP as a whole (since they are the main ones that allow us to have those nice shiny new coasters), I just like laughing at them every so often :lol:
By Kw6sTheater
mdsmith98 wrote:So I have a few that I heard on preview night this year.

I was also at Passholder preview night! Unfortunately though, I was only able to get 1 ride on Copperhead Strike (75 minutes’ wait) and did nothing else at the park — as I had to head up north to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for a Coasting for Kids event the very next day.
By mdsmith98
Kw6sTheater wrote:
mdsmith98 wrote:So I have a few that I heard on preview night this year.

I was also at Passholder preview night! Unfortunately though, I was only able to get 1 ride on Copperhead Strike (75 minutes’ wait) and did nothing else at the park — as I had to head up north to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for a Coasting for Kids event the very next day.

Nice! I was at media day and rode it a few times then. I got two rides on it on preview night.
By Techedchart1551
I just heard this one today while talking with a few friends who are going to carowinds with me on saturday. I overheard a conversation about Fury.

So a few people were skeptical about riding fury, as they have never ridden something so tall or fast. They say they'll ride it, I think at least one might chicken out.

"I'm gonna raise my hands in the air during the ride." one of them says

"You can't do that! that's unsafe" another says

I face-palmed so hard and I said that it's totally safe to raise your hands in the air, it's a choice whether or not you choose to do so.
By Coasterphreak
The one I tend to hear at least once a year:

"I heard somebody actually died on this one like twenty years ago!" usually in line for Hurler or Goldrusher. This tends to be preteens and teenagers.

Another good one is "my buddy knows a guy that fell out and was in the hospital for weeks" on Nighthawk. This tends to be guys that know better and want to scare the crap out of their buddy/group/girlfriend.
By shizzzon
While walking up to Maverick at CP-

4 20yr old males, 1 of them acting like their tour guide-
Oh, no guys, dont waste your time getting in line to that. The lines about an hr long and is just so overhyped. (Our wait time was 22 min).
It's only 100ft tall and not that long. It doesnt even have a record..

I was laughing so hard at the perception of something must have a record to be good.

One day, his friends will ride it and make their decision.
By fishels
This jerk “know it all type” in my high school wasn’t aware that the laws of psychics actually make a coaster go through the course.

So he’s sitting there telling my SCIENCE teacher about how the new intimidator ride at Carowinds had a strong motor making you go over the hills fast(lol). And how cool that was because it was a NASCAR ride.

The whole class gets silent and bursts out laughing as I explain to him that’s not the case. His face was really red and the teacher laughed so hard he had to exit the room.

I was really polite about it but the teacher full on roasted him and proceeded to do a PowerPoint on gravity.

I will forever treasure that memory :lol:
By Chris
fishels wrote:This jerk “know it all type” in my high school wasn’t aware that the laws of psychics actually make a coaster go through the course.

So he’s sitting there telling my SCIENCE teacher about how the new intimidator ride at Carowinds had a strong motor making you go over the hills fast(lol). And how cool that was because it was a NASCAR ride.

The whole class gets silent and bursts out laughing as I explain to him that’s not the case. His face was really red and the teacher laughed so hard he had to exit the room.

I was really polite about it but the teacher full on roasted him and proceeded to do a PowerPoint on gravity.

That sounds extremely terrible, and down right bullying. Wow, that teacher should be ashamed. Their job is to teach those who don't know, not "full on roast them." And then the whole class laughs at the red faced kid when you explain it to him? I can definitely see why he had to exit the classroom. :cry:

Not sure how that is a memory that you will cherish forever. Wow.
By fishels
Chris wrote:
fishels wrote:This jerk “know it all type” in my high school wasn’t aware that the laws of psychics actually make a coaster go through the course.

That sounds extremely terrible, and down right bullying. Wow, that teacher should be ashamed. Their job is to teach those who don't know, not "full on roast them." And then the whole class laughs at the red faced kid when you explain it to him? I can definitely see why he had to exit the classroom. :cry:

Not sure how that is a memory that you will cherish forever. Wow.
It was not about lack of knowledge. It was about who he was pretty much. Let me clarify.

It was the teacher who left the classroom laughing.

It was not some tragic incident where someone was being terribly abused. He even laughed at himself during the PP presentation. Was he embarrassed? Sure. But nowhere near as embarrassed as the countless times he spread fake rumors about me, or the countless “ugly” kids he made fun of in front of the whole class... or all his girlfriends who endured him cheating/abusing them for years. Etc.

It was just great to have one opportunity to correct him and see him have no clue for once. Especially since I was so polite to him about it. So I feel no guilt as I personally didn’t step out of line.

He and the teacher got along really well, so it wasnt a mean spirited roast at all if that makes sense. Although I think the teacher was aware at how much I disliked him and went through with it to embarrass him a bit more than necessary. Things were completely back to normal in 10 mins and he remained his cocky and popular self to this day.

I still chuckle thinking about a motor under the hood of our coasters :lol: