General Carowinds discussion
By cwgator
Techedchart1551 wrote:cedar fair and abrupt closings... yeah that's happened three times within the chain within the past month or so. THREE RIDES: RRR, Orbiter at CW, and Volcano at KD. None of those rides got a send off. Here is the reasoning: A. can't ride them, it's the off season. B. Volcano and I believe RRR had a lot of downtime.

Volcano last ran for the public the weekend of May 12th last year. It wasn't an abrupt closing. They worked on it the rest of the year to try and reopen it. Obviously the cost would be too great to get it running again which is why they decided to remove it. There was no way they'd have a sendoff on a ride that's not working.
By Techedchart1551
in response to the post above:
I said that volcano had a lot of technical problems, so they couldn't give a sendoff, however, I wish they could've tweeted a few weeks prior that could tease the ride's closure or something like that
By cwgator
Techedchart1551 wrote:yeah, it's all been so abrupt and chaotic. we all need some fair warning before a ride closes.

The rides that have closed "abruptly" as you put it have reached the end of their useful life. RRR for all we know had become a costly maintenance nightmare as is (if it's actually being removed). It was one of the first ever built. As far as Orbiter goes, it was one of 3 of that model left on the entire planet so parts were definitely hard to get for it.

Not every ride is going to get a "proper send off" or last rides like there were with Thunder Road, Firehawk and even Witches Wheel (CP). Those rides were still in safe operation when they were announced to be leaving. Sometimes rides close because faults are found in the off-season, or because parts are not available anymore, or various other reasons not given. It happens.
By Techedchart1551
OML i said that while some may not be in working order, the park would give us fair warning. Even if it's not working, fans of the ride could at least get to an event where they could take a special behind the scenes tour of the ride before it got scrapped. If it's not working, just do something else to give fans time to mourn the ride before it disappears the next season.
By cwgator
They gave fair warning when they found out. They aren't going to open in the off season for a group to say good bye to a flat ride that's not going to be returning....lol
By Techedchart1551
:lolno:

you know how they have winter warm up?

Get another special event going for fans to take a tour of said ride, big tour if it's a coaster, not big tour if it's a flat ride.

one time tour- one time.
By Chris
Techedchart1551 wrote::lolno:

you know how they have winter warm up?

Get another special event going for fans to take a tour of said ride, big tour if it's a coaster, not big tour if it's a flat ride.

one time tour- one time.

This has got to be a joke. Right? Surely this isn't real?
By Coasterphreak
The other thing to remember about RRR is that technically it wasn't an Intamin creation, it was a KECO creation, and KECO had a tendency to put attractions together by any means necessary on a shoestring budget.
By Techedchart1551
that was my idea to give rides a sendoff without getting the ride up and running
(in response to chris)
By jeffdavis
I think it's bad press to announce a ride removal unless it's tied to an announcement of a bigger/better attraction in its place. Therefore I understand the quiet closures of WWF and RRR. Can you imagine the park wanting to get the message out that there is now one less ride than before?
By CarowindsFan
jeffdavis wrote:I think it's bad press to announce a ride removal unless it's tied to an announcement of a bigger/better attraction in its place. Therefore I understand the quiet closures of WWF and RRR. Can you imagine the park wanting to get the message out that there is now one less ride than before?

Agree 100%
By Techedchart1551
guess you're right, i just think that volcano's closure doesn't really fall with that though, since they almost never get a new attraction- hence KD might go into another ten year gap
By phareous
Techedchart1551 wrote:OML i said that while some may not be in working order, the park would give us fair warning. Even if it's not working, fans of the ride could at least get to an event where they could take a special behind the scenes tour of the ride before it got scrapped. If it's not working, just do something else to give fans time to mourn the ride before it disappears the next season.

Yeah I can't ever have seen them doing a tour of RRR... there are all logs, chains, etc. in the ride that make the rapids (and thus a trip hazard), and the bottom half of the course stays full of water. There isn't much to see that you can't see from riding the ride...except maybe the computer room and the paths to the various observation points.
By Techedchart1551
well, yeah but maybe they could walk along the queue, then to the maitenence area, then maybe the control room before the ride gets torn down
By phareous
Techedchart1551 wrote:well, yeah but maybe they could walk along the queue, then to the maitenence area, then maybe the control room before the ride gets torn down

The maintenance area is just a holding pond they put boats in. To work on boats they use a crane to remove them and take them to a building somewhere else in the park...so nothing like you would see for a coaster. I was always curious what the inside of the computer room looked like though...you could see the top of it about half way through the queue (near where the people exiting boats walk up the stairs)