General Carowinds discussion
By coasterbruh
uscbandfan wrote:ld stay on NC time. If so, they’re gonna have a lot of SC people standing around for the first hour of the day waiting for them to open.

I mean, it wouldn't be any different than any other park in an area with different time zones. For instance, Holiday World doesn't have this problem. This wouldn't be anything groundbreaking or out of the norm.
By yawetag
Holiday World isn't on a state line that may potentially have different times in parts of the year. If you're confused on HW's opening time, you have a problem understanding timezones.

If NC and SC end up having different times (which, I'll restate, probably won't ever happen), there's an understanding for the confusion.
By coasterbruh
Holiday World IS in a state, that has two different time zones all year. Placement, on the time zone line or not, has no merit when it comes down to the example uscbandfan mentioned. Carowinds operating hours would be determined by the time zone the address is in. The only potential issue, and this is by a stretch, is if the south gate has different opening times vs the north gate.
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:
uscbandfan wrote:ld stay on NC time. If so, they’re gonna have a lot of SC people standing around for the first hour of the day waiting for them to open.

I mean, it wouldn't be any different than any other park in an area with different time zones. For instance, Holiday World doesn't have this problem. This wouldn't be anything groundbreaking or out of the norm.

it would be groundbreaking in that it's going to put SC at least an hour ahead of the rest of the US for 4.5 months each winter. Anywhere else has a timezone they match up with, even if they're not located in that time zone, and the Eastern Time Zone has always led the way into each day.

Besides, there's a big difference between making this change, and having always lived with the situation. Over a few years everyone will eventually get use to it, but there will be a lot of confusion that'll take a lot more than a couple days to get past.
By coasterbruh
We get use to the normal DST quite well. I think you are discounting folks. . .
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:We get use to the normal DST quite well. I think you are discounting folks. . .

An employee who lives 20 minutes away in SC has to leave the house at 4:30 to get there in time for their 4:00 shift (and wont get home from their 11PM clock-out time until well after midnight). That's slightly different than adjusting to a blanket time change. Student employees living in SC would have it especially rough. It introduces the concept of jetlag when visiting a friend on the other side of the street. I just think it's fascinating the scenarios that people could suddenly find themselves adjusting to.

If your live is spent primarily in one state or the other, you're right it wouldnt matter at all. But the NC park draws a lot of attendence from SC, and it's people who have been going to Carowinds for years but would suddenly start needing to remember it's in a different time zone.
By uscbandfan
Good point. I think about my daughter who leaves her high school at 4:00, swings by the house to change to get to get job by 5:00. That would pose a problem for students in SC who work in NC. In the case of my daughter, she wouldn't be able to work at the place she works because she couldn't leave school and get to her job in time.

The counter point to that are people who work in SC and live in NC. My daughter gets home from her job at 11:00. That would change to midnight. She already needs more sleep than she gets.

There would definitely be an adjustment. Schedules would have to be looked at more closely for everybody. On the bright side, if you live and work on the state line, get a dentist and a doctor in the other state. Then you could make your appointments early (or late depending on which state you lived in) and not have to miss work.
By RollerBee
uscbandfan wrote:Good point. I think about my daughter who leaves her high school at 4:00, swings by the house to change to get to get job by 5:00. That would pose a problem for students in SC who work in NC. In the case of my daughter, she wouldn't be able to work at the place she works because she couldn't leave school and get to her job in time.

The counter point to that are people who work in SC and live in NC. My daughter gets home from her job at 11:00. That would change to midnight. She already needs more sleep than she gets.

There would definitely be an adjustment. Schedules would have to be looked at more closely for everybody. On the bright side, if you live and work on the state line, get a dentist and a doctor in the other state. Then you could make your appointments early (or late depending on which state you lived in) and not have to miss work.

The way y’all act you would think the Timezone lines follow State Lines.....

They don’t. In some cases the Timezone lines predate some state lines.
By yawetag
I'll state again: NC is also talking about taking the "always DST" option if it were available. So all this might be moot.

RollerBee, the problem isn't timezone lines, but the fact SC would be in an essentially-different timezone than NC for about half the year. It would make it an extra step in figuring out times you have to leave/arrive for events that might be across the state line.

Yes, this has happened for decades in the United States, but people don't often travel between these timezones for everyday stuff. In places where this is common (northwest Indiana, for example), that area has moved into the timezone that's most convenient for the people there.

I think we're all discussing situations that would probably never happen. If Congress decided to allow states to use DST year-round, almost every state would take the option. Those that don't will find some pushback and eventually change as well.
By uscbandfan
yawetag wrote:I'll state again: NC is also talking about taking the "always DST" option if it were available. So all this might be moot.

RollerBee, the problem isn't timezone lines, but the fact SC would be in an essentially-different timezone than NC for about half the year. It would make it an extra step in figuring out times you have to leave/arrive for events that might be across the state line.

Yes, this has happened for decades in the United States, but people don't often travel between these timezones for everyday stuff. In places where this is common (northwest Indiana, for example), that area has moved into the timezone that's most convenient for the people there.

I think we're all discussing situations that would probably never happen. If Congress decided to allow states to use DST year-round, almost every state would take the option. Those that don't will find some pushback and eventually change as well.

:thumbup:
By Grobble
More than 1/2 the states have bills introduced or referendums to have permanent DST, some already passed bills. Some have not been implemented b/c they have contingency on neighboring states to do the same for ease of business. ie...Oregon won't implement until Washington & California do. Washington signed their bill & California will be voted on in 2020 & seems to have only small opposition. A bunch of states in the southeast, northeast, have pending bills, FL,TN, AR already have signed bills or resolutions. A bunch of states in the northeast & Midwest have bills in legislatures.. Permanent DST will either happen piece meal among neighboring states or nationally by the US Senate, in the near future There is a bill in the US Senate to just do it nationally, but that has been stalled in committee by a few people, though it has bi partisan support in the overall Senate.
By pproteinc
So right now it’s basically going to be Arizona, Hawaii and territories Puerto Rico and the Virgin Island that don’t do any time change?

ION: Here’s a little sign upgrade

By Cameron
Anyone else get the email to provide feedback on two new themed areas the park is considering?

It was nice to see carowinds thinking about going into as much detail as the pictures they provided.
Attachments