General Carowinds discussion
User avatar
By CoasterAddict11
#109124
The 2020 operating schedule has been released. https://www.carowinds.com/explore/calendar-and-hours

-Opening Day is March 21 (passholder preview night the evening before).
-Daily operations April 3-19 for local spring breaks.
-Summer daily operations from May 22 to August 23.
-Scarowinds runs September 18 to October 31. Friday and Saturday night Haunts only in September, then Sunday nights in October.
-Park open for regular Carowinds on Saturdays and Sundays in November 11am to 7pm.
-Winterfest runs November 27 (Friday after Thanksgiving) to December 31 (daily beginning December 17).
By super7
#109126
After the fiasco last November when they closed at 3 PM on a Saturday with clear skies and 50 degrees, it’s shocking they are trying November again. After that mess nobody but local pass holders are going to risk coming in November.
By Glitch99
#109128
FezzyGamer wrote:Wait so how exactly would the permanent time change affect the park? I might sound dumb but it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Because approx half of park attendees would be essentially crossing time zones to get there. It wouldnt affect the park, per se, but would create some confusion with customers/employees living on a different clock than the park operates.
User avatar
By yawetag
#109130
coasterbruh wrote:for half the year. . .


Actually for over half. You bring a point, though.

If SC is going to keep Daylight Savings all year, it won't affect the park much at all. Daylight Savings begins in early March (March 8th this year) and ends in late-October/early-November (November 1st this year). That means for a vast majority of their operating schedule (other than the late-fall and Winterfest, basically), it won't matter what state you're in, as they'll have the same time.

Edit: From the bill: "If the United States Congress amends 15 U.S.C. Section 260a to authorize states to observe daylight saving time year round..." This is all moot unless Congress allows states to do it.
By Glitch99
#109132
yawetag wrote:
coasterbruh wrote:for half the year. . .


Actually for over half. You bring a point, though.

If SC is going to keep Daylight Savings all year, it won't affect the park much at all. Daylight Savings begins in early March (March 8th this year) and ends in late-October/early-November (November 1st this year). That means for a vast majority of their operating schedule (other than the late-fall and Winterfest, basically), it won't matter what state you're in, as they'll have the same time.

When I mentioned it only affecting the first month of the season and winterfest, I'd forgotten that they changed DST from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March. And with it ending the first Sunday of November, it really is only winterfest that would be affected (and their continued attempt at November weekends).

Just curious (in general, not park related) - Local tv would have to either preempt the "10 o'clock" hour of network prime time every night, or not show their local news until midnight... And things like New Years celebrations would be isolted to in-state only (or happen late). Living in SC would require quite an adjustment - but then after 4.5 months it'd go back to "normal", requiring even more adjustment.

I dont see it happening; if anything, I'd see Congress enacting a duplicate law nationwide to eliminate DST (or stay on "DST") year-round. It's one thing out west, where everything is already cascading backwards from the Eastern Time zone, this would put the state ahead of everyone else.
User avatar
By Hiveminded
#109133
From a reddit comment on r/Charlotte, this is obviously how its going to work:

Imagine being on The Fury at Carowinds around closingtime, and as soon as you cross into SC the ride just comes to a screeching hault. "We're sorry, but this part of Carowinds is closed for the day, please visit the other half of the park."
User avatar
By yawetag
#109134
Glitch99 wrote:And things like New Years celebrations would be isolted to in-state only (or happen late).


New Year's isn't during DST, so no effect on it.

If Congress approved states to stop doing it, I would guess almost every state would stop. This site says only 17 states have tried to pass DST laws and failed; 25 have either pending, adopted, or enacted laws (both Carolinas show as "pending").
By RollerBee
#109135
There is no law requiring states/territories to observe DST, Arizona, Hawaii and many territories do NOT observe it.

https://www.transportation.gov/regulati ... aving-time

As to why SC passed a useless law waiting on Congress to pass a law or approval from Congress...
Either the state reps are clueless to the Uniform Time Acts or more likely they just passed a law to fool voters into thinking they are doing something useful.
By Glitch99
#109136
yawetag wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:And things like New Years celebrations would be isolted to in-state only (or happen late).


New Year's isn't during DST, so no effect on it.

Right, so SC won't "fall back" the first weekend in November. So when it reaches midnight in SC, it'll only be 11PM on the rest of the east coast.
User avatar
By yawetag
#109137
Glitch99 wrote:
yawetag wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:And things like New Years celebrations would be isolted to in-state only (or happen late).


New Year's isn't during DST, so no effect on it.

Right, so SC won't "fall back" the first weekend in November. So when it reaches midnight in SC, it'll only be 11PM on the rest of the east coast.

Yep, and I realized that as I was going over this thread in my head last night.
By uscbandfan
#109138
Hiveminded wrote:From a reddit comment on r/Charlotte, this is obviously how its going to work:

Imagine being on The Fury at Carowinds around closingtime, and as soon as you cross into SC the ride just comes to a screeching hault. "We're sorry, but this part of Carowinds is closed for the day, please visit the other half of the park."


:lol: Fury doesn't operate during the part of the year in question but, still pretty funny.

Yeah, things will get weird. Maybe congress will just abolish switching back and forth for everybody, let DST be the norm, and it wont be a thing. Arizona will just permanently be on Pacific time. (Hawaii doesn't switch either.)

The business address is in NC so I would assume Carowinds would stay on NC time. If so, they’re gonna have a lot of SC people standing around for the first hour of the day waiting for them to open.
  • 1
  • 293
  • 294
  • 295
  • 296
  • 297
  • 301

Users browsing this forum: A-z coasters and 1 guest