General Carowinds discussion
By tarheel1231
Another concept for the Boardwalk re-do:

Again, this concept is entirely dependent on whether or not the park decides to remove Cyclone, and given that KI's Vortex recently closed, it's not entirely unprecedented.

The main/headlining new attraction would be a Zamperla Disk'O coaster named The Surfer, after the park's former tagada attraction. The park could market it as a new coaster, softening the blow of having one removed.

The other new attraction would be a Zamperla Watermania called Buccaneer Blasters. It's a compact water flat ride, which would fill a gap in the park's ride lineup without being as maintenance-heavy as, say, a log flume or water coaster. Also, since it's manufactured by Zamperla, the Cedar Fair could work out some sort of package-deal with them to get the Disk'O.

Next, Southern Star would be moved over to this side of the park to replace Sweet Frog. Sweet Frog would be moved into the empty side of the "Carolina Boatworks" building next to Chickie's and Pete's.

And finally, Peanuts Pirates would be moved to the plot of land between Ricochet and Scream Weaver, and renamed The Flying Dutchman after another former attraction.

Other than that, there would be more water along the midways to make it feel more like a Boardwalk, like the one at Knott's. I think these changes would make this section one of the best in the park and comparable to Blue Ridge Junction and County Fair. It's already got a fair amount of theming, but these rides would go a long way to making it feel more atmospheric. It also adds to the potential ride list for Winterfest.
By tarheel1231
Here is my prediction/wish for 2021:

As the name suggests, it isn't really a new area so much as it is an expansion from Crossroads. However, it has a distinct feel to it and has the vibe of a Mini-Cars Land. Now onto the attractions:

1. Carolina Turnpike: The main/headlining new attraction here would be the rumored Antique Cars ride similar to Kings Mills Antique Autos at Kings Island. It takes the name of one of the park's former attractions, which originally opened as "The Speedway."

2. Demolition Derby: Dod'gems would be moved to this section of the park to compliment the Antique Cars, and it would be themed to a Demolition Derby event. The wall in the back of the building would have a mural of an audience. The cars would have distinct color schemes and designs like the cars on Flying Cobras.

New Project.png
New Project.png (380.29 KiB) Viewed 23912 times

3. Coke Refresh Station: This would be another Coca Cola Marketplace-type of dining location, but themed to a Texaco gas station:

4.Crossroads Body Shop: The Dinosaurs Alive entrance building would become a gift shop themed like a car garage. As far as decor goes, think Blue Ridge Country Kitchen or the station on Copperhead Strike.

5. New Bathrooms: The bathrooms would be moved to make way for the expansion, and placed closer to the south gate.

Other: The pathway that used to go behind Woodstock Express would be re-opened, eliminating the dead end from the end of Camp Snoopy.
By gabed
You could probably throw in the renovation of the PvZ building if that Screamscape rumor about the Carowinds Theater removal ends up being true
By Rabidfrog
If they redo P vs Z I have a question (that I may have brought up before)...

Why With all the technology of today does the interactive theatre have to be one theme? Leaving the guns and cycle-seats, why couldn’t the “game” change (like what shows on the screen)?

I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to have 5-10 different themed games (For the screen). You could Mostly have kid friendly Ones, but have 3-5 rotating ones during different seasons. Then during Things like winterfest you haVe Christmas themed ones (maybe stopping cookie bandits, or the grinch and minions or what have you). This would also be perfect for things at pumpkin fest and scarawinds. Scarawinds could be crazy intense specifically. I understand not wanting to pump a ton of money into this thing, but I can’t imagine having several game scenarios would cost that much more than having one.

Does anyone else already do this?
By carolinaman
Rabidfrog wrote:If they redo P vs Z I have a question (that I may have brought up before)...

Why With all the technology of today does the interactive theatre have to be one theme? Leaving the guns and cycle-seats, why couldn’t the “game” change (like what shows on the screen)?

I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to have 5-10 different themed games (For the screen). You could Mostly have kid friendly Ones, but have 3-5 rotating ones during different seasons. Then during Things like winterfest you haVe Christmas themed ones (maybe stopping cookie bandits, or the grinch and minions or what have you). This would also be perfect for things at pumpkin fest and scarawinds. Scarawinds could be crazy intense specifically. I understand not wanting to pump a ton of money into this thing, but I can’t imagine having several game scenarios would cost that much more than having one.

Does anyone else already do this?

Yes, when I went to IAAPA, Triotech had a booth set up where you sit in a seat, buckle up and put on 3D glasses. It was a shooting game/movie that kept score just like PvZ, but it can be changed to another game/movie as requested by the park/operator. Now the seats were not themed to any particular movie or game. So that makes a big difference. So yes, it is possible.
By yawetag
I would assume it's the cost and theming. Repaint the vehicles to be "basic" and then use lighting packages and video to theme it for whatever you're running.

The other issue would be programming the vehicles. I guess you could have the same "program" and just change the images that's projected on the screen - but even that would be boring after some time.

It would be neat, though, to have some sort of voting mechanism while in line or getting into your seat - pick one of three options and the one chosen most will be the story that runs.
By Glitch99
Rabidfrog wrote:

I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to have 5-10 different themed games (For the screen).

It certainly wouldnt be that hard. But I suspect it would be far more expensive than you think. I think it would be more complex than merely adding various skins onto a single core program. And even if it were that simple, I dont see a company building 10 versions of their game with the intention of only getting paid for one. You wouldnt pay 10x for 10 games, but you'd pay far more than 1x (even paying 2x for 10 themes, you've doubled the cost of running that attraction).

But yes, a little variety would be nice (especially when your nephew can sit there and play for an hour straight), even if the theme remained the same.
By JWitter
tarheel1231 wrote:Another concept for the Boardwalk re-do:

Boardwalk.png

Again, this concept is entirely dependent on whether or not the park decides to remove Cyclone, and given that KI's Vortex recently closed, it's not entirely unprecedented.

The main/headlining new attraction would be a Zamperla Disk'O coaster named The Surfer, after the park's former tagada attraction. The park could market it as a new coaster, softening the blow of having one removed.

Surfer.jpg

The other new attraction would be a Zamperla Watermania called Buccaneer Blasters. It's a compact water flat ride, which would fill a gap in the park's ride lineup without being as maintenance-heavy as, say, a log flume or water coaster. Also, since it's manufactured by Zamperla, the Cedar Fair could work out some sort of package-deal with them to get the Disk'O.

watermania.jpg

Next, Southern Star would be moved over to this side of the park to replace Sweet Frog. Sweet Frog would be moved into the empty side of the "Carolina Boatworks" building next to Chickie's and Pete's.

southstar.jpg

And finally, Peanuts Pirates would be moved to the plot of land between Ricochet and Scream Weaver, and renamed The Flying Dutchman after another former attraction.

peanpira.JPG

Other than that, there would be more water along the midways to make it feel more like a Boardwalk, like the one at Knott's. I think these changes would make this section one of the best in the park and comparable to Blue Ridge Junction and County Fair. It's already got a fair amount of theming, but these rides would go a long way to making it feel more atmospheric. It also adds to the potential ride list for Winterfest.

So the dark blue areas would be water? (sorry if that's a dumb question) what about that green area?
By JWitter
tarheel1231 wrote:Here is my prediction/wish for 2021:

Crossroads.png

As the name suggests, it isn't really a new area so much as it is an expansion from Crossroads. However, it has a distinct feel to it and has the vibe of a Mini-Cars Land. Now onto the attractions:

1. Carolina Turnpike: The main/headlining new attraction here would be the rumored Antique Cars ride similar to Kings Mills Antique Autos at Kings Island. It takes the name of one of the park's former attractions, which originally opened as "The Speedway."

tiques1400.png

2. Demolition Derby: Dod'gems would be moved to this section of the park to compliment the Antique Cars, and it would be themed to a Demolition Derby event. The wall in the back of the building would have a mural of an audience. The cars would have distinct color schemes and designs like the cars on Flying Cobras.

New Project.png

3. Coke Refresh Station: This would be another Coca Cola Marketplace-type of dining location, but themed to a Texaco gas station:

texcogas.jpg

4.Crossroads Body Shop: The Dinosaurs Alive entrance building would become a gift shop themed like a car garage. As far as decor goes, think Blue Ridge Country Kitchen or the station on Copperhead Strike.

2019-12-02 (3).png

5. New Bathrooms: The bathrooms would be moved to make way for the expansion, and placed closer to the south gate.

Other: The pathway that used to go behind Woodstock Express would be re-opened, eliminating the dead end from the end of Camp Snoopy.

What's with the path that goes down between Afterburn and the autos ride? Is that the walkway to a new wooden coaster? Come on, hit us with another idea that area can't remain blank!
By tarheel1231
JWitter wrote:What's with the path that goes down between Afterburn and the autos ride? Is that the walkway to a new wooden coaster? Come on, hit us with another idea that area can't remain blank!

I was thinking the pathway would circle around Afterburn's batwing and lead to the South Gate, and that it could be left open for a flat ride or an eventual expansion into the parking lot. As far as where I'd put a wooden coaster, I felt Carowinds Theater/Rapids would be a good place. Which leads me into my next concept:

Country Gardens

This area of the park has desperately needed a rennovation, so this is how I'd transform it. Southern Star and Dodg'ems would be moved to different locations in the park (here and here) in order to give an unobstructed view to the back of the area. The new additions are:

1. McClelland House: Named after a former attraction at Carowinds, this is based off of the rumor that Carowinds Theater will be moved here to replace Plants vs. Zombies. The facade would be similar to the original entrance to the park, and there would be a floral fountain in front of the building.

2. Aviary: This would go in Dodg'em's spot and serve as the anchor thrill ride to this land (as well as the only ride). It is a Huss Condor similar to Falcon's Flight at Worlds of Fun. I feel that it would be an ideal replacement to Dodg'ems since it is a tower ride with decent visibility from other areas of the park.

3. Greenhouses: Since this area is themed to a garden, the greenhouses behind Carolina Cyclone would be relocated to Yo Yo's spot. Yo Yo would simply be removed since the park has Zephyr, making it redundant.

4. Other: Not much else to add. The bathrooms would be renovated and the midway games would be removed. Overall, the area would look visually similar to the gardens at Biltmore Estate, with lots of floral designs and cobblestone pathways:

By RollerBee
^The old County Fair area once you get past Dodgems has been a ghost town since Thunder Road closed. I feel like you are suggesting a Busch Gardens Williamsburg style area for a park that hasn’t had anything like since Plantation Sqaure was renovated into Paramount Plaza.

If we were talking about an area that was part of a main walkway I would feel but I really like in the location you are suggesting this for it would be underutilized by guests.

And again the problem with tying into bringing back anything like th main gate is the symbolism that comes with it.

As far as tying into the family history that predates Carowinds...

I do believe it was a cotton farm with a good size plantation house.
By tarheel1231
RollerBee wrote:^The old County Fair area once you get past Dodgems has been a ghost town since Thunder Road closed. I feel like you are suggesting a Busch Gardens Williamsburg style area for a park that hasn’t had anything like since Plantation Sqaure was renovated into Paramount Plaza.

If we were talking about an area that was part of a main walkway I would feel but I really like in the location you are suggesting this for it would be underutilized by guests.

And again the problem with tying into bringing back anything like th main gate is the symbolism that comes with it.

As far as tying into the family history that predates Carowinds...

I do believe it was a cotton farm with a good size plantation house.

Yeah, reading the description, the timeline (built in the 1860’s) is a bit... yikes. I feel that the architecture could still work without being immediately evocative of slavery (Boo Blasters is right across the way), as long as it’s explicitly named as a theater, but the ’McClelland’ name can go.

As far as the underutilization part, I can see that, but the goal was to make it sort of a dead zone that acts as a quiet space removed from the rest of park. It’s why I put the Condor in the ride pad closest to Blue Ridge, since it’s heavily trafficked. The removal of Southern Star also allows sight lines to the end of the area where the theater would be.

[EDIT] Actually, I think a more appropriate facade would be one modeled after the Dock Street Theater from Charleston. It’s even older than the McClelland House, but it’s not explicitly a plantation house so I feel it could work.

By coasterbruh
Honestly, what COULD bring people down to the old county fair? Even when TR was there it was always a dead area.
By tarheel1231
We're less than three years out from the park's 50th, so I figured I would make another 50th anniversary wishlist post:

Miscellaneous wishes:

-State line painted gold
-Celebration Plaza overhaul completion, with Premiers' facade redone and renamed "Emporium". Carowinds Cafe redesigned to look more like this
-Fireworks celebration every night similar to Kings Island
-Merchandise with old rides (Thunder Road, White Lightnin', etc.)
-Asphalt in park removed and replaced with brick pavers

As far as rides are concerned, this is what I would to do Boo Blasters:

Ringo Racoon's Mayhem Mansion:

Carowinds used to have original characters that greeted guests at the front gate, and Ringo Racoon was the least creepy one. So I think he would be the best character to bring back for the attraction. This attraction would be part of a Crossroads re-do.

STORY

Someone has finally gotten their hands on Granny's prize-winning recipe! Ringo Racoon managed to successfully nab Granny's cookbook from the County Fair while she wasn't looking, and now he's retreated to an abandoned mansion to try and reproduce the recipe. Granny has enlisted your help in trying to retrieve the her cookbook. Equipped with jelly blasters, you and your family must navigate Ringo's carefully-crafted obstacle course in order to catch him in the act, and take back the book.

RIDE

The inspiration for this ride came from the Knott's Beary Tales ride returning to Knott's next year. The concept is similar to another post I made, in which it's an interactive dark ride made by Sally Corp. This is how the ride would be changed:

-The queue line would be completely enclosed/merged into the building, with a preshow playing in the queue section.
-The animatronics would be removed completely in favor of screens
-The cardboard cutouts would be replaced with more realistic physical sets (like the inside of the barn on Copperhead Strike). It would be similar to Maus Au Chocolat at Phantasialand but without the rotating cars:

Last edited by tarheel1231 on December 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By coasterbruh
Your proposed Carolina Cafe design looks even more out of place than the current one . . .