General Carowinds discussion
coasterbruh wrote:We lazy, post them here . . .

tarheel1231 wrote:I can't find an attachments page on accela.

chknwing wrote:so do we just wait for you to feel like sharing what you found?

Here you guys go:
http://docdro.id/lWIHkcR

What might be somewhat noteworthy is on the landscape plans, pages 27 and 28, it shows a proposed "Sportsplex Building" to the northwest of the hotel:

Just in case anyone isn't aware, "N.I.C." is a common construction acronym meaning "Not in Contract" and is used on plans to show where something will be built but isn't included in the scope of the current plan set.
Last edited by Cup on March 8th, 2018, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coasterbruh wrote:Thanks cup! Hummm . . . so sports complex is in the works. Interesting.

I’ve been pretty sure that was coming for a while. ESP since the one at Bojangles Coliseum fell thru.
Yeah judging by the size of the area on google maps, they could feasibly fit a multi-court basketball complex there, but something on the level of SportsForce in Sandusky would be way too large.

I found the article for the planned Sportsplex by Bojangles Coliseum, and this quote from the article stuck out to me:

“If you talk to any (convention and visitors bureau) or sports commission, they will tell you the biggest lacking part of their (sports inventory) is covered indoor space,” said Richard Blalock, vice president of special projects with GoodSports. “Basketball, volleyball, mat sports – that’s the biggest need of the market.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/l ... 06091.html

So if this does turn out to be an indoor facility, Carowinds will definitely be filling a gap in the market.
Not to mention, I'm not sure if they can fit another parking lot or not. They may be able to, depending on the size of the structure. If anything, they may rely on a mix of a new, small parking lot the same size or smaller than the hotel lot, and they may also rely on the bus lot for large school groups visiting the complex. I doubt they would be able to fit a large new parking lot unless it's the same size or smaller than the new hotel parking lot.
Of course it's a sports complex. They MUST have something to fill up that hotel during the off season. Seems like many we know (in Charlotte, Raleigh and even Wilmington) have all trekked to Myrtle Beach over the past few months for some kind of kid sports tournaments on the weekends (girls volleyball, basketball, etc).

Bet in the spring, they could offer science (STEM) field trips on weekdays to fill up those rooms too. Students could study physics, mechanical engineering, etc and become theme park designers. That would also fill up some rooms.
I think this is a great idea, Add some retail and dining too! Charlotte is obviously a better place to have a sports tournament or game rather than Sandusky. It's a huge market but lacking in Charlotte. At my work, I get customers visiting from all over for sports tournament, most recently a lady in Charlotte for a few days from Richmond for Volleyball.
How is that obvious? If it were obvious then why didn’t CF put in one here before Sandusky? Which is in between several large population centers like Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, and Cindy?
I wish Charlotte didn't make Accela accessible for the public. It's meant for us Civil Engineers to submit projects to land development for plan review and permitting. It wasn't made for folks to get the sense of pride that they shared the information first on this forum.
Justin wrote:I wish Charlotte didn't make Accela accessible for the public. It's meant for us Civil Engineers to submit projects to land development for plan review and permitting. It wasn't made for folks to get the sense of pride that they shared the information first on this forum.

you must be fun at parties