General Carowinds discussion
Saw this today. Looks like the park has a petition that will be heard on July 17th to rezone 24.16 acres in North Carolina on the north corner of the property near Interstate 77.

Here is the link: http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-093.aspx

It appears according to the website they are re-zoning from I-2 (General Industrial) to I-1 (Light Industrial).

I've some research, and found that some hotels in Charlotte are zoned as I-1.

I'm interested to see what comes of this.
This must be the hotel.

Here are the uses that are permitted in I-1 but not I-2. You would only apply for a rezoning from I-2 to I-1 if you wanted to build one of these uses:

• Automotive sales and repair
  • Boat and ship sales and repair
  • Financial institutions
  • Hotels and motels
  • Manufactured housing sales
  • Offices up to 400,000 square feet
  • Retail establishments, shopping centers and business, personal and recreational services up to 70,000 square feet
  • Theaters, motion picture
They would be smart to include some kind of sports complex. We just had neighbors travel for the weekend to Disney World for big soccer tournament. Youth teams from across the country were there.
As a parent, we've personally traveled for youth soccer, swimming, tennis.
Seems like that would be a great way to fill hotel rooms AND bring guests into the park.
^ I don't forsee a sports complex included in any of it. Disney and Carowinds are two totally beast. I would love to see something like castaway Bay in that plot. Since the park now has a 10 month season I think they can get capacity in their own hotel. Something like that with a Waterpark AND water coaster wold get me to stay a night. I would just hope if they do a retail area, it wouldn't be so far from the park entrance ND more or less incorporated into it like Knotts and citywalk.
There aren't any good hotels near Carowinds so it makes sense. Kinda wish the park would add some of those deluxe cabins to Camp Wilderness though.
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stoc ... =288345512

I seen where Cedar Fair L.P. owns a plot of land behind the park but Carowinds L.L.C. is labeled as the owner of the NC side of Carowinds. Is all of the Cedar Fair parks set up like this or does this have to with the former Carowinds Corp that went bankrupt in 1974?
By cadi40
I wonder if the possible hotel will be large like a Hotel breakers or more along the lines of a breakers express.
Last edited by cadi40 on July 9th, 2017, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how I feel about a Hotel. I guess it's not as exciting because we live here. However, it would be lovely being we are growing to a destination park.................. ( Thank you Fury 325, Intimidator, Afterburn, Carolina Harbor, County Fair Rides, New Entertainment, and Harmony Hall.) These additions truly made Carowinds a destination park in my opinion. Once the park expands Planet Snoopy, and maybe add another major coaster without removing any current ones, then I think we will be ready for a Hotel for sure.
On a side note, it's amazing how many hotels are off the exit already. What is it like 5 or 6???????? Only 3 of them are good. Also, another sit down restaurant on the blvd would be nice also.
coasterbruh wrote:^ I don't forsee a sports complex included in any of it. Disney and Carowinds are two totally beast. I would love to see something like castaway Bay in that plot. Since the park now has a 10 month season I think they can get capacity in their own hotel. Something like that with a Waterpark AND water coaster wold get me to stay a night. I would just hope if they do a retail area, it wouldn't be so far from the park entrance ND more or less incorporated into it like Knotts and citywalk.
Oh yes,I agree. I do see a nice looking pool with more lounge chairs. I like how you think though. That is exactly what they need to do. Bring it on.
Chris wrote:After seeing Breakers and Breakers Express for the first time this year, I am extremely excited to see what Cedar Fair and Carowinds can do with a hotel and/or retail establishment.
The Breakers Exp is really nice.
If Carowinds does expand that land, they need more hotels. Carowinds only has a few around them, and with the growing attendance each year, they could use a few. But if they do add it, they would have to make an off-road so people can get in and out.