General Carowinds discussion
By Dukeis#1
I am truly pissed. I was happy with the park's desision to just leave it stationary, but now they've decided to get rid of it all together, I'm not quite sure what the park is coming to. Next thing you know, they'll be trying to remove the Skytower.

(But then again, I guess I should be happy that it made it to 2003, considering the Monorail got removed a decade earlier)

If the Carolina Stearnwheeler is gone, all I can say is that I will be much more likely to buy a Season Pass to Dollywood or Busch Gardens instead, which both offer more than just rides that can spin you upside down 200 times. Coasters are good, but when your destroying the fabric of what made your park great to add them, your really loosing your touch.

(Particularly when there's that Huge parking Lot Behind Thunder Road)
By CarowindsZone
Well, opinion since it was asked for.Is that The Carolina Sternwheeler should have been repair at any costs, they could have asked people like me and you for money. Hopefully the riverboat will return soon. God Bless our beloved Carolina Queen Riverboat, may she forever be remembered in our hearts. I think if Paramount Parks is going to just give-up like this, they need to past the torch to someone that will keep things like the Carolina Queen.
By Jonathan
First, we don't even know if they've removed it permanently. And second, I usually respect all your posts, but that's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The removal of one decoration would change your opinion of a park that drastically?
By CarowindsZone
For me, yes, because we have already lost the island, and half the river. Plus they never gave us a warning about the ride's closure. Sorry, for any trouble.
By ghettopastries
It had a hole and was damaged. Instead of spending the money on fixing it they could use it for something else more important. I'm sorry but I don't see the big deal in this. And why would a major amusement park ask people, such as its guests, for money!? Lets have a reality check here... I'm not trying to be rude, but come on, think about what your saying.
By Trev32
i'll be so mad if they permenatly remove it :angry:
By LocoDriver
Hate to see it go, but if this was the only way to get Stealth then I say let it go.
By Trev32
personnaly,i wish they could have found another spot to make stealth,it was besides kaliedascope,goldrusher,and the skytower it was the only original ride left(correct me if there is still more)yeah i'm happy that i'll finally be able to ride a flying coaster but they could at least find a different spot to keep it there(i also think they should of kept lightning too)
By Drafin
Well, I have never posted here but have lurked at the old boards.

I really just have to say that the loss of the Carolina Sternwheeler is indeed tragic if it is not to return.

Things that gave Carowinds a "homey feel" that are now gone are; the garden clock, C. Sternwheeler (if it is indeed gone permanently), the trains, the monorail, the Oaken Bucket, Speedway go-carts and Hillbilly Jalopies, Skyway chairlift, the shooting gallery, along with all of the old "character" that the park used to have when I was a kid and going in the 70's and 80's.

The new generation of park goers just want to go faster and upside down more. there is nothing wrong with that at all, heck I like a good coaster as much as the next 35 year old that goes to Carowinds regularly. Most of today's parks (Carowinds included) are not really amusement parks at all. The parks have become somewhat sterile and deviod of character. They have become more a collection of bigger, better, faster (mostly with the use of more coasters). when you lose things like the Sternwheeler you lose not only character, but history. How many pictures are there out there with someone and thier loved ones boarding the Sternwheeler? I have one.

I know I may just sound like an old man that misses his childhood and to some extent I do, but I fear that before long all parks across America will be devoid of any theme at all. The founder of Carowinds built the park to represent the heritage and history of NC and SC , along with providing a full day's fun to his customers. Heck even Thunder Road has lost it's police car and "shine runner" trains.

I know this is a leap and don't think it will happen anytime soon, but what will all of you say when they close down Thunder Road for the slick, new, ultra fast, upside down, under water, -8g throwing, hot darn here I am, ham and cheese on rye, steel coaster?

I just hate to see Carowinds become the Six Flags over Ga. I visited when I was a kid. I just kept saying to my Aunt and Uncle who took me that , "This place just ain't Carowinds."

Well now even Carowinds ,"...ain't Carowinds." loss of one of the few remaining pieces class and character gone.

soapboxmode=off

Sorr my first post was so negative, but it is just how I feel.

Draf
By ghettopastries
A lot of what was removed was removed before Paramount. Paramount didn't even want to remove the boat, but when it got damaged they had no choice. Give Paramount a chance - with these survey's, a lot of atmosphere might come back into the park, although it may not be the atmosphere it used to be. They had a park movie theming survey, and I hope people didn't blow it off because it has nothing to do with the Carolina's. They have Carolina Boardwalk. My opinion is that they should go with the movie theming and add more atmosphere to the park. It's Paramount's Carowinds now, and I say it is about time they go in the movie direction - and if they do that means more theming and landscaping - which is what everyone complains about.
By Trev32
Drafin wrote: Well, I have never posted here but have lurked at the old boards.

I really just have to say that the loss of the Carolina Sternwheeler is indeed tragic if it is not to return.

Things that gave Carowinds a "homey feel" that are now gone are; the garden clock, C. Sternwheeler (if it is indeed gone permanently), the trains, the monorail, the Oaken Bucket, Speedway go-carts and Hillbilly Jalopies, Skyway chairlift, the shooting gallery, along with all of the old "character" that the park used to have when I was a kid and going in the 70's and 80's.

The new generation of park goers just want to go faster and upside down more. there is nothing wrong with that at all, heck I like a good coaster as much as the next 35 year old that goes to Carowinds regularly. Most of today's parks (Carowinds included) are not really amusement parks at all. The parks have become somewhat sterile and deviod of character. They have become more a collection of bigger, better, faster (mostly with the use of more coasters). when you lose things like the Sternwheeler you lose not only character, but history. How many pictures are there out there with someone and thier loved ones boarding the Sternwheeler? I have one.

I know I may just sound like an old man that misses his childhood and to some extent I do, but I fear that before long all parks across America will be devoid of any theme at all. The founder of Carowinds built the park to represent the heritage and history of NC and SC , along with providing a full day's fun to his customers. Heck even Thunder Road has lost it's police car and "shine runner" trains.

I know this is a leap and don't think it will happen anytime soon, but what will all of you say when they close down Thunder Road for the slick, new, ultra fast, upside down, under water, -8g throwing, hot darn here I am, ham and cheese on rye, steel coaster?

I just hate to see Carowinds become the Six Flags over Ga. I visited when I was a kid. I just kept saying to my Aunt and Uncle who took me that , "This place just ain't Carowinds."

Well now even Carowinds ,"...ain't Carowinds." loss of one of the few remaining pieces class and character gone.

soapboxmode=off

Sorr my first post was so negative, but it is just how I feel.

Draf

i fully agree with that,espicially the part that says"I know this is a leap and don't think it will happen anytime soon, but what will all of you say when they close down Thunder Road for the slick, new, ultra fast, upside down, under water, -8g throwing, hot darn here I am, ham and cheese on rye, steel coaster?" lol
By AMartin777
<_<

I have to agree with the above posts. It is a bad choice to remove one of the historical icons of the park. I've seen the disaster that is happening at the Disney parks first hand and I hate to see any other park lose site of it's heritage.
By coasterbruh
does anyone know how much it would cost to repair the hole..........and maybe whatever it was that punctured the hole damaged other internal parts of it. IMO the park realized that it wasnt gonna really serve a profitable purpose and the hole just lead them to just hack it. it was only gonna be a statue in a since that was gonna take mantainance to keep up............
By CarowindsZone
The only mantainance it would need is patching the hull, so that it didn't fall off it's jacks, and paint.
By Top Gun
Hmm, I don't think that it realy makes much difference. Out of all of the years I've been to Carowinds nobody seemed to even ride the thing. :rolleyes: