General Carowinds discussion
It could be possible that we might be getting a $25 million dollar coaster with $5 million dollar theming ala Black Mamba or something similar. I also continue to say that a giga is ridiculous for Carowinds and makes no sense. As for the possibility floating around of 'record breaking' there is almost no way I could see it involve height or speed. I also would hope not cause I could see with that is tons of downtime and problems. My guess, and what I still think is most wanted and needed, is a launch coaster. I think our best choice to get would be a two to three launch coaster that is a hybrid Cheetah Hunt/Maverick/blue fire Megacoaster more or less. Something with launch elements including reasonable speed (not 100 mph or anything crazy), inversions, tons of curves (hopefully not painful like I305) and a lot of length. 'IF' we get a record breaking coaster then maybe length would be the one to break. Personally, this is the record I would prefer to break. Not height or speed. I do not want a 'gimmick coaster' like a Kingda Ka due to a greater chance of down time and it is too short and boring a ride. I find a 150 mph plus coaster for us more ridiculous than a giga at this point so it will not be speed. Length record for a launcher somehow makes the most sense and will provide the better coaster. Just my idea. Other than a launcher maybe a new version winger as has been mentioned or maybe a Rocky Mountain hydrid as that is big now.
Now we can maybe start leaning toward that record breaking attraction being a coaster.... at least a little more than before. $30 million is obviously something pretty big if all this holds true.. I am hoping for a wing rider or a launch. I would rather have a launch than anything... This was very good news to hear and I cannot wait until next year to see if some construction starts... I am hoping for a 2015 coaster.... I wouldnt mind having a verbolten style coaster in our park, and about the only intamin i would really want would be Maverick, maybe with some different seats because those seats suck! This is very exciting to know were are going to definately get something in 2015 or 16, and its going to be bigger than what I was actually expecting just because of the amounts they were going to spend, but it all makes send, I guess $50 million goes a lot further than i though :lol:
betterthanyou wrote:I do not think the new coaster will be winged at all! Lets be real here, this coaster is going to be record breaking and cedar point just got gatekeeper which broke the drop and length records. Now unless the record that gets broken is speed I really do not think we are going to get a winged coaster and take the records from the flagship park.

i agree. One thing for sure, this coaster is already known, and likely has been designed and is waiting to be fabricated, so that price tag is likely more than just an estimate, or wishful thinking. Likely the front of the park has been reworked to make room for it. Assuming B&M is doing it, we will likely see parts rolling out of the Ohio plant soon after Banshee is done, which should be some time early next year.
Capler wrote:
betterthanyou wrote:I do not think the new coaster will be winged at all! Lets be real here, this coaster is going to be record breaking and cedar point just got gatekeeper which broke the drop and length records. Now unless the record that gets broken is speed I really do not think we are going to get a winged coaster and take the records from the flagship park.

i agree. One thing for sure, this coaster is already known, and likely has been designed and is waiting to be fabricated, so that price tag is likely more than just an estimate, or wishful thinking. Likely the front of the park has been reworked to make room for it. Assuming B&M is doing it, we will likely see parts rolling out of the Ohio plant soon after Banshee is done, which should be some time early next year.

Well, considering Gatekeeper cost $30 mil...
chknwing wrote:B&M is working on a 4D coaster. I highly doubt we get that. Carowinds does not need a B&M Giga. I would be ok with a Wing coaster but carowinds just needs some speed in the park. Carowinds needs their own maverick.

Soooo...intimidator, being one of the top 11 fastest coasters in north america, doesn't qualify as speed????? Not to mention, its even faster than maverick...
coasterbruh wrote:
chknwing wrote:B&M is working on a 4D coaster. I highly doubt we get that. Carowinds does not need a B&M Giga. I would be ok with a Wing coaster but carowinds just needs some speed in the park. Carowinds needs their own maverick.

Soooo...intimidator, being one of the top 11 fastest coasters in north america, doesn't qualify as speed????? Not to mention, its even faster than maverick...

but, but, but....
I wish i could clock the actual speed of intimidator :D I think intimidator just doesnt maintain that "high speed thrill" like some other coasters, but I LOVE it its still my favorite coaster. I think we need a launch, not a cable launch or anything, but LSM or LIM or something like that. Maybe even something like sky rocket @ kennywood, but much taller, faster, and longer.... haahah. I can see a wing coming, but I am hoping it will be some new concept, I knew you guys have mentioned B&M working on a 4D I also heard they were working on a launch... so maybe..... a launched wing coaster :lol: I guess that would be something Intamin has already done, but B&M would be so much better.... I guess we will just wait and see ones those little markers start popping up sometime next year...
heres whats catching my eye.

"The first phase of the expansion includes a $30 million roller coaster, a $2.5 million water slide, a $7 million food complex and about $4 million for upgrades to ticket booths and frontage areas."

ok so that first phase is ~$50 million. Whats the 2nd phase?
I think the first phase could just be referring to 2014 and 2015. That totals up to $43.5 million, which would leave around $6.5 million for 2016 (which they may not have planned yet).

The chance of us getting any sort of wing rider is slim to none! We already know this coaster is going to be record breaking and cedar fair just did that at cedar point! We already know this coaster is going to be record breaking and cedar fair just did that at cedar point! If you ask me it is obvious we aren't getting one and if we do I will be very surprised! I would be willing to bet on something along the lines of leviathan at Canada's wonderland!

It's hilarious how far everyone is running with a vague quote about the park being "ready" for record breakers, which could mean almost anything. By no means is it a definitive statement that the next coaster is going to be a record breaker, and even if it is it could be something like "largest wing coaster in the south", "most inversions on a wing coaster", etc. In two years a park may have already broken Gatekeeper's records. Does anyone really think Gatekeeper is going to be the largest wing coaster forever?

If it's something like Leviathan, what record would it break? The only records Leviathan broke were Canadian records.
Jonathan wrote:This ride is close to $30 million...

[youtube]mhNsdvzEq7s[/youtube]

Clear out a plaza near the front entrance and Vortex, and build one of these that goes under the bridge and interacts with Rip Roarin Rapids. 8)

Now THIS is exactly what we need. A multi launch long coaster with inversions. This makes more sense than anything.