General Carowinds discussion
By Trev32
What does "Intimidator" have to do with Nascar? i think it would be a great name for a coaster.
By Dukeis#1
It was Dale Earnhardt's nickname. Race World was a roadside tourist trap in Pigeon Forge, TN. (Near Dollywood)

How that place got the money to build a wooden coaster is beyond me...
By LocoDriver
Jonathan wrote:
Still like the idea of a coaster named the Intimadator. Maybe that could be the long rumored Hyper that goes behind the Hurler?

I'm not sure what the chances of that are. When Race World (now defunct) built Thunder Eagle, the original name for the ride was The Intimidator. Earnhardt racing was not pleased with the name being used for the coaster so they forced Race World to change the name.

I don't think DEI owns the rights to that name. Now if they used is signature number 3 then they may have a case.
By Cephas
Paramount should/will theme rides to movies that they already own the rights to, good Paramont movies aren't in short supply (Though you might have to go back a few years!). They won't theme an area of the park to nascar, they'd rather get advertising for one of their movies. If you ride a good ride named after a movie, then your going to want to check the movie out.
By LocoDriver
Then how do you explain TopGun. This coaster was named years after the movie came out. I highly doubt that PC named the Invert this to get people to go rent the VHS version of TopGun.

I do agree that advertising plays a big part in what Paramount may do, but that's not always the case. If Nascar and Paramount were to venture into a project together they both could make a lot of dough on merchandise and advertising. That is what Nascar is all about.

Once again this thread is just a random thought. I really started it just to see what fun ideas could develop. Never really thought it had much of a chance to materialize.
By LocoDriver
Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Wasnt' the original plans for TG to be named Godzilla? I heard that when the movie flopped so did the idea.

Although this was not a good movie, I think the theming would have been awsome.
Probably could start a whole new thread with this one!
By Jonathan
I read that Godzilla rumor somewhere, but I don't think it was a very reputable one. I know that as far back as 1996 at least the park was planning for the coaster, and had the name Top Gun in mind.
By LocoDriver
If that's the case, then Godzilla does seem a little far fetched as 1996 was way before that movie was released. Anyway I still think it would have been a cool name and theme to the coaster. I guess it would have been Dark Green and Black similar to what we are getting with TCFKAS.
By Dukeis#1
Godzilla? Seems like that should have been done somewhere by now.
By mizthang819
Haha, godzilla? Well it seems like a fairly typical rollercoaster or thrill ride name, so it has probably already been done. :D
By Cephas
See the Godzilla rumor <a href='http://www.rcdb.com/installationdetail527.htm' target='_blank'>here</a>
By CarowindsFreak
LocoDriver wrote:I would love to see a nascar themed area to the park. I think this would fit in well with the carolina re-theming that's going on.

I can see it now. A dueling Intamin launch coaster. One coaster could be black and silver and called the "Intimadator". The second coaster could be Petty blue and red and called the "King".

Throw in a topspin, call it "Talladega" to simulate the way a driver would feel flipping down the back stretch at 200mph!

How about a mini "Nascar Cafe" for food and beverages?

Top it off with a go-cart track.

All this of course with Nascar's permission ;)

What do you think? Any other suggestions that would fit into this area?

Just went to a random forum and look, the Intimadator was mentioned 6 years ago but as a dueling intamin launch coaster. hahaha
By billcollins531
It's incredible to read through the posts and see how close they came to our new ride. From the hyper, to the name Intimidator, to the Nascar themed area. How about the top-spin called Talladega? That wouldn't be so far off as to our predictions that we'll get that flat ride in Intimidator's field. Wouldn't be such a bad name either!
By CarowindsFreak
billcollins531 wrote:It's incredible to read through the posts and see how close they came to our new ride. From the hyper, to the name Intimidator, to the Nascar themed area. How about the top-spin called Talladega? That wouldn't be so far off as to our predictions that we'll get that flat ride in Intimidator's field. Wouldn't be such a bad name either!

I know right. But they thought the thrillzone section of the park was getting rethemed and the hyper would go back there. But it is amazing how close they came.