General Carowinds discussion
I personally happy they are staying closed, all themeparks for that matter, grant it yes I’m beyond coaster withdrawals. I see as the park keeping them safe too. Last thing we need to hear all over the news is someone catching covid19 at Carowinds. That’s exactly how the media would say it “BREAKING NEWS PERSON TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID19 AT CAROWINDS”. Not a good look which could the lead to lawsuit knowing people.
Cedar Point has a different announcement, basically just like Carowinds's current announcement and dated the same day, 3/20, in the form of a release by Zimmerman:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/park-update

"For 2020 Season Passholders, we will be adding days to the park’s operating calendar to accommodate for the days the park is temporarily closed (against original 2020 operating calendar). Additionally, 2020 Season Passholders will enjoy added-value benefits to be announced at time of park opening."

I wouldn't be surprised if this changes later to match Knott's. It's good business and keeps customer satisfaction and expectation high, even though it will hurt base revenue obviously.
jeffdavis wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this changes later to match Knott's. It's good business and keeps customer satisfaction and expectation high, even though it will hurt base revenue obviously.

What days could be added to the schedule that would benefit passholders, or anyone for that matter? There's a reason the parks are scheduled to close when they do.
I would be surprised if the parks open this year at all. Maybe earlier than usual in 2021, but I would be very surprised if any park in the country doesn’t stay closed all year.
Memorial day is still a possibility, if society accepts the need to learn to live with this virus, rather than hide from it indefinitely. The risk of being potentially exposed in a large, open, outdoor space will be considered acceptable to a lot of people if given the choice (not saying if I'm one of those people or not).

But if I was going to make a prediction, I'd guess that parks will open for the Halloween and Christmas festivities this fall. Something is going to give by September, for better or for worse.
I'm on the fence whether to believe parks will open this year. This virus is VERY contagious and is spread by contact. How many TENS of THOUSANDS of hands hold onto those lap bars and restraints each day? Recipe for disaster until a vaccine is produced which may not come until this winter.

Maybe I'm wrong.... We'll see. Maybe the CDC will come up with something to make things better. Everyone is talking about "May". There is nothing to prevent the same thing we went through last month from happening next month without some sort of vaccine.

I do think that if places start to reopen that masks on everybody will be the norm for awhile.