General Carowinds discussion
Hurler won’t be going anywhere in the next few years, and here is some logistical explanations to why:
If they retracked it for the 2019 season then obviously they still care about it giving it TLC.
This is the only major wooden roller coaster carowinds has. Sure, if we were to receive another wooden coaster this thing might go on the chopping block but since this is the only one we have, it’s most likely staying.
Ridership has been high in years past. Hurler ranked 4th for most ridden coaster last year. I think that’s pretty great. Once again if we were to have another woodie this would probably be different but for the time being, we don’t.
Just because some people may find Hurler rough or a waste of space, doesn’t mean other people do, AKA the general public. Carowinds is more focused on attractions for the GP rather than what coaster enthusiasts want to see.
^
Thunder Road was retracked not long before its removal, but I agree, all thing considered, Hurler appears to be staying for now. Most park guests seem to like it and it often pulls a decent line. I also predict Cyclone will be safe for the near future. Not sure about its ridership numbers but as long as it isn’t becoming a maintenance headache, I see no signs pointing to its removal.
By RRRAPIDS
It's all about the popularity which reflects ridership. Rides like Hurler, Cyclone, and Flying Cobras have great ridership and capacity. Nighthawk is doing well also.......Just because you hate the ride doesn't mean others don't like it. ........Keep in mind Hurler, Cyclone, and Flying Cobras are still, "Big Rides," and they all have a 48" height requirement. All the other top 4 or 5 rides you would consider amazing have 52" or 54" height requirements. I think the park has a great lineup now. My only coaster I despise is VORTEX. I can care less what happens to that. I still wish it was converted though. It has the better layout of the compact standup B&M's.
By HiveDive
RRRAPIDS wrote:It's all about the popularity which reflects ridership. Rides like Hurler, Cyclone, and Flying Cobras have great ridership and capacity. Nighthawk is doing well also.......Just because you hate the ride doesn't mean others don't like it. ........Keep in mind Hurler, Cyclone, and Flying Cobras are still, "Big Rides," and they all have a 48" height requirement. All the other top 4 or 5 rides you would consider amazing have 52" or 54" height requirements. I think the park has a great lineup now. My only coaster I despise is VORTEX. I can care less what happens to that. I still wish it was converted though. It has the better layout of the compact standup B&M's.

It’s not all about popularity or ridership, a huge part is maintenance and future costs. Vortex @ KI for example still was popular and had decent ridership, the issue was maintenance costs. Sure if a ride has higher ridership it’ll be less likely to go but you have to keep in mind parks aren’t going to spend millions into saving rides that have low marketability.
By RRRAPIDS
Also parks do what they want even with maintenance cost. If you want to get technical, there are several rides/coasters across the world that should have been chopped or have been on the chopping block for sometime now. Parks do what they want. They definetly look at everything.
HiveDive wrote:Vortex @ KI for example still was popular and had decent ridership, the issue was maintenance costs.

Nah, I think they have something BIG up their sleeves for that plot of land.
By HiveDive
coasterbruh wrote:
HiveDive wrote:Vortex @ KI for example still was popular and had decent ridership, the issue was maintenance costs.

Nah, I think they have something BIG up their sleeves for that plot of land.

Doubtful, the decision to remove the ride seems to be quite abrupt. Furthermore the park has said multiple times they don’t have plans in the works for that plot of land, if they’re telling the truth or not who knows. Kings Island probably would be able to afford another large rollercoaster in the near future but I don’t think they have any plans in the works currently.
Because I say I THINK they have something big up their sleeves doesn't mean it's gonna happen in a year or two. The decision was quite abrupt? Based on what? They announced it was leaving. I think even teased a ride was leaving. How is that abrupt? What could be considered abrupt is what happen to Volcano, White water falls hell even the rapids. And you honestly think the parks are gonna say yea, we're removing it now because in 4 years we plan on doing blah blah blah. Carowinds knew what they were planning to do Copperhead in 15/16 so how is it unfathomable KI knows that removing vortex is part of a bigger plan? Bottom line, just because their were no rumors or hard leaks doesn't mean it's removal was abrupt.

Also, I am almost positive their next large coaster is already in the planning stages. Banshee opened in 14, Mystic Timbers started construction in 16, the aforementioned opened in 17, Orion started construction in 19. Again, I say i'm almost sure their next 5 years are pretty much in ink, with some whiteout on standby . . .
By HiveDive
I’d consider announcing one of your most iconic coasters leaving the park at 4 am via Twitter with nearly no teaser campaign to be considered abrupt. I don’t think Kings Island at the start of the season expected this to be Vortex’s last season.
By RollerBee
There were rumors about Thunder Road for months and they had made their to GP social media. The GP started asking questions in addition so I feel that Carowinds was left with little choice but to reveal it so early. Then they saw an opportunity to profit from Thunder Road.

Vortex has had rumors for years to a decade or more. KI had address the rumors before publicly.
Carowinds announced 2 months before closing it, kings islands announced 1 month. I wouldn't call 2 months so early . . .
By uscbandfan
RRRAPIDS wrote:It's all about the popularity which reflects ridership. Rides like Hurler, Cyclone, and Flying Cobras have great ridership and capacity. Nighthawk is doing well also.......Just because you hate the ride doesn't mean others don't like it. ........Keep in mind Hurler, Cyclone, and Flying Cobras are still, "Big Rides," and they all have a 48" height requirement. All the other top 4 or 5 rides you would consider amazing have 52" or 54" height requirements. I think the park has a great lineup now. My only coaster I despise is VORTEX. I can care less what happens to that. I still wish it was converted though. It has the better layout of the compact standup B&M's.

The only thing I don't like about Nighthawk is it's capacity. The ride is ok... nothing to write home about though. I'll ride it if there's no line, I have nothing better to do, and I'm not on the way to one of the other "big four". I'd be all for removing it just to get a ride better than "ok" and something that can eat some people. The "queue wait time" to "quality of ride" time percentage seems to be lowest for Nighthawk.
By fishels
coasterbruh wrote:Technically speaking, SOB gave its last ride in 2009. As far as I, and anyone wanting to have ridden it, it left in 2009, 11 seasons ago. All I am saying, and i'm gonna move on, is it's a lot of what could be considered more mediocre coasters in the chain than hurler. I am almost convinced that the placement of Fury 325 has helped renew the ridership of hurler as well. If it came down to keeping hurler or a "twisted hurler" I would much rather keep it and build a ground up RMC/GCI elsewhere in the park.

I actually agree with this. Hate Hurler but a RMC conversion of it sounds kinda meh. I’d rather have a stand-alone if those were my two options