General Carowinds discussion
By tarheel1231
yawetag wrote:Adding to that, make it more historical. The Wright Brothers were able to master flight, and we're flying along in their airplane.

Eh.... that theme seems extremely redundant with Kiddy Hawk next to it. I was think an aesthetic more along the lines of the one employed for County Fair/Blue Ridge Junction that’s more nostalgic.

[EDIT] This is more what I had in mind, but I went ahead and incorporated the Wright Brothers anyway:

By Chris
I like it a lot.

tarheel1231 wrote:
yawetag wrote:The Wright Brothers were able to master flight, and we're flying along in their airplane.

Eh.... that theme seems extremely redundant with Kiddy Hawk next to it.

Orion next to Flight of Fear?
By tarheel1231
Here’s the new and improved dive coaster, THE LEDGE.

Guests enter through the Wright Flight Travel Agency, a Travel Agency that specializes in Carolina vacations:

They have posters advertising their destinations:

A little further down, part of the queue takes place inside the Piedmont Inn Hotel. More on that later:

Guests pass a couple of posters, including one advertising the Melodia Flying School, the Carolinas’ #1 Aviation Academy.

The station is themed to a small aircraft hangar, and takes place at the fictional “Melodia Airfields”.

The station features the loose article transfer system found on Yukon Striker, and it passes over riders as they board:

The ride drops into “Copperhead Caverns”, inspired by the Linville Caverns.

The wingover drop leads into what I like to call the “Hilton Headchopper”, which is just a very low-sitting billboard advertising Hilton Head Island. It’s supposed to symbolize riders arriving at the beach, since it precedes going over the lake, but I’m not that creative.

The ending of the ride is a little more exciting, as it passes through the destroyed Piedmont Inn Hotel. The near-miss element comes very close to the queue line.

This is what the ride looks like from above:

Extras:
Attachments
MelBiPlaneTours.png
MelBiPlaneTours.png (101.39 KiB) Viewed 20265 times
Last edited by tarheel1231 on December 18th, 2019, 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By BelowThePeak
I like this a lot better! I love how immersive the theming is.

My only "complaint" would be that I wish the layout were a bit longer and had 1-2 more inversions (at least one of those before the midcourse/second drop). Otherwise, looks great! Hope we can get a POV. :)
By tarheel1231
RollerBee wrote:I suspect this will mean even more Tarheel concept art.

Unfortunately, yes. :thumbup:

BelowThePeak wrote:Hope we can get a POV. :)

Wish granted:

Also, some nighttime concept art:

Running lights on the lifthill:

The photo op takes place inside the hotel:

By Glitch99
So is there a coaster concept where at the top of a hill, instead of dropping down, the train instead does a front-under-back invert and heads back the way it came, only upside down like at the end of a conveyor belt? And then turn 90-degrees into a dive, which, from the perspective of the rider, would be "up" instead of down?
By tarheel1231
Glitch99 wrote:So is there a coaster concept where at the top of a hill, instead of dropping down, the train instead does a front-under-back invert and heads back the way it came, only upside down like at the end of a conveyor belt? And then turn 90-degrees into a dive, which, from the perspective of the rider, would be "up" instead of down?

AFAIK, the S&S Screamin’ Squirrel is the only coaster model that does this (unless you count their Freespins).
By Glitch99
That is what I was imagining. Except instead of being a wild mouse on its side, have the first inversion 200 ft up and then go into a "traditional" drop. I admittedly don't begin to know the technical specs needs for it to even be possible, but in theory it sounds like an awesome, and very unique, feature.