General Carowinds discussion
By JWitter
Wouldn't it make more sense to build a new wooden coaster on the old dino land instead of having 2 wooden coasters right beside each other? Or do we think they'll RMC Hurler at some point soon?
By yawetag
I can't lean one way or the other when it comes to Dinos or RRR getting the next treatment.

I think Dinos is a more-glaring hole from the ground, as it's a nice piece of land that's between Camp Snoopy and Afterburn. A ride or new area would fit in perfectly in this spot. RRR is tucked in behind shops and the Paladium. Even being closed all year, it wouldn't have been obvious something was missing to the casual observer.

From a distance, though, RRR being filled in will look great. It's a stand-out location between Fury and Intimidator. Even having a smaller lift hill here would be obvious driving into the park, and would help in framing the entrance. With the old Dinos plot, you're looking at it pushed behind the hills of Intimiadator and even covered by Afterburn.

I see Dinos as a flat ride area. I think I've said before a "step-up" location with flats that cater to a "taller than Kite Eating Tree / shorter than Drop Tower" demographic; including Antique Autos would be nice there, too. Conversely, I see RRR becoming a coaster, especially if the rumor of putting a station at the Theatre comes true.

2020: Water ride.
2021: PvZ Arena converted to new Theatre. Crossroads gets upgrade to new theme, or better theming.
2022: Dinos area opens with flats and autos.
2023: New water ride; smaller upgrade(s) to existing ride(s).
2024: RRR area opens with new coaster.
By coasterbruh
JWitter wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to build a new wooden coaster on the old dino land instead of having 2 wooden coasters right beside each other? Or do we think they'll RMC Hurler at some point soon?

I would say put a wooden coaster in some of the dinos area and have the entrance where dinos entrance was and add more camp snoopy stuff to the rest with the car ride everyone wants and a couple more family (more thrilling) flats. I really don't know what to do with the rapids area right now. The park could use a real sit down restaurant and an indoor show venue (especially if they plan on moving to PVS) so I think they could be a good plot but then there is that service road that cuts that area away from the regular park . . .
By Christopher Mallis
coasterbruh wrote:
JWitter wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to build a new wooden coaster on the old dino land instead of having 2 wooden coasters right beside each other? Or do we think they'll RMC Hurler at some point soon?

I would say put a wooden coaster in some of the dinos area and have the entrance where dinos entrance was and add more camp snoopy stuff to the rest with the car ride everyone wants and a couple more family (more thrilling) flats. I really don't know what to do with the rapids area right now. The park could use a real sit down restaurant and an indoor show venue (especially if they plan on moving to PVS) so I think they could be a good plot but then there is that service road that cuts that area away from the regular park . . .

The exact idea I had in my head. Expand out into the parking lot too, maybe make the entrance more in the middle of Dino’s so it won’t be so close to Afterburn and can slow more of an entrance to the flats or a new area if they will have one.
By coasterbruh
Cameron wrote:With the theater removed the service road can be moved and won't be an issue.

I don't think it is as easy as moving the road. I think laws have it that you have to have access roads within certain distances to areas for emergency and evacuations. Besides, the placement of the theater doesn't effect the current road.
By gabed
yawetag wrote:2020: Water ride.
2021: PvZ Arena converted to new Theatre. Crossroads gets upgrade to new theme, or better theming.
2022: Dinos area opens with flats and autos.
2023: New water ride; smaller upgrade(s) to existing ride(s).
2024: RRR area opens with new coaster.

Honestly I could see the next coaster as soon as 22
By tarheel1231
Carowinds has crossed the 2.5 million annual attendance benchmark, and that was before Copperhead Strike was built. The park is approaching the “Big 4” in terms of attendance, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more frequent capital investments.

I think the timeline is more likely to be this:

2020: Boogie Board Racers & Grand Carnivale. PvZ closes at the end of the season. Carowinds Theater is demolished during the off-season.

2021: Crossroads Renovation. Antique Autos replaces some of the land in Dinosaurs Alive, new theater opens in PvZ’s location. Site work begins on new coaster, and it is announced in August.

2022: New coaster debuts in Carousel Park, with the station/queue where Carowinds Theater used to be.

2023: 50th Anniversary Celebration. No major investments, but several little touch-ups around the park. Expect it to be similar to what we saw with Kings Dominion, and what we’re going to see with Cedar Point.
By coasterbruh
tarheel1231 wrote:2021: Crossroads Renovation. Antique Autos replaces some of the land in Dinosaurs Alive,

You think they would put such a family attraction as antique cars in the camp snoopy area? I think they took the carousel out as it was too "grown" for the area that features mostly kids rides. I feel antique cars are the same. I wonder if the carousel's ridership has grown in it's new location?
By Edwardo
Cameron wrote:I hope they don't bring back the antique cars. Was that even a hit at KI?

Yes.
By Edwardo
I don’t think you’ll see another major coaster at the park in 2022. I think maybe closer to 2025 based on their comments about spacing the major additions 5-6 years, and the fact that they’ve significantly reduced major coaster additions across the chain.

I don’t see more than 1-2 major coasters a year for a while. I do think you’ll see the old county fair, now crossroads section updated at some point soon, and maybe they’ll move the theater to there, but I bet a new major non coaster attraction will anchor that area.
By tarheel1231
coasterbruh wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:2021: Crossroads Renovation. Antique Autos replaces some of the land in Dinosaurs Alive,

You think they would put such a family attraction as antique cars in the camp snoopy area? I think they took the carousel out as it was too "grown" for the area that features mostly kids rides. I feel antique cars are the same. I wonder if the carousel's ridership has grown in it's new location?

It’s not necessarily part of Camp Snoopy. The Dinostore is closer to Afterburn, and it wouldn’t even need to take up more than half of the land. It’d compliment Boo Blasters which isn’t too far away.
By Christopher Mallis
I guess everybody has forgotten about a possible rehab to RRR. It has never been ruled out/confirmed by park authority. While yes the theater rumor of it being moved to PvZ does seem smart and logical, I don’t see it happening. Maybe in the near future but not for RRR. I still see a rehab but do have my other thoughts about the site.