General Carowinds discussion

Could Carowinds be any more AMAZING? Just wait! In 2020, the premier entertainment destination of the Carolinas adds even more to its lineup of more than 60 world-class rides, waterpark, live shows and incredible attractions – all served up with gracious Carolina hospitality.

Visit next season to experience extreme, supreme water slide racing on Boogie Board Racer, the longest mat racing slide in the Southeast.

Plus, come to see, hear and taste AMAZING from around the world at Grand Carnivale, our cultural celebration that runs June 13 - July 5, 2020. You’ve never seen Carowinds like this!

Even more AMAZING will be announced in the coming months, so follow us here and on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

048053AD-65AE-4EB5-A825-10C31FAFF026.png
048053AD-65AE-4EB5-A825-10C31FAFF026.png (68.11 KiB) Viewed 26819 times

Prepare for the slide of your life when world-class water slide racing comes to Carowinds in 2020! Debuting next summer is Boogie Board Racer, the longest mat racing slide in the Southeast delivering an AMAZING high-speed, high-thrill experience.

At the top of the water slide you and five other racers will grab a mat and toe the line. Ready to race? In an instant, you will be released into the rushing current of Boogie Board Racer. Everyone will zoom through their own chutes – sometimes enclosed, sometimes open to the sun – always accelerating to fast speeds. Alongside each other, you’ll zip through multiple passes of outrageousness and into a 360-degree loop before a surprise drop into a splashdown finish. Will you be the fastest Boogie Board Racer?

Boogie Board Racer is the first new attraction in Carolina Harbor waterpark since it opened in 2016 and “shore” to reward riders with a tsunami-size blast!

72193AC3-86FB-4C37-A397-1153E3CFDF89.png
72193AC3-86FB-4C37-A397-1153E3CFDF89.png (31.91 KiB) Viewed 26819 times

Carowinds has always been at the forefront of bringing AMAZING new experiences to the Carolinas, but in 2020 we will top them all! Every day from June 13 through July 5, 2020 come to see, hear and experience how the world kicks up its heels at Grand Carnivale, a larger-than-life cultural celebration with something for everyone.

Immerse yourself in the electrifying vibe of our Spectacle of Color Parade, a prismatic procession that reflects joyous cultural traditions from around the globe. A fanciful fusion of extravagantly decorated floats, mesmerizing street performers and pulsing rhythms, this parade promises to enchant and delight -- especially as the day slips into night and the sky radiates with a dazzling array of lights that takes on a life of its own.

You have never experienced Carowinds like this. Grand Carnivale is the must-see event of 2020!

1C3B43DA-DF03-4B4B-9AC7-5C715298CA8A.png
1C3B43DA-DF03-4B4B-9AC7-5C715298CA8A.png (49.17 KiB) Viewed 25942 times

Carowinds' all-new Monster Jam Thunder Alley™ drives home a full-throttle immersion into the incredible world of Monster Jam® trucks available nowhere else in the Carolinas! Get nose-to-grill, sit inside and even take an adrenaline-charged ride in your favorite truck at this AMAZING, limited-time experience on operating days March 21 to April 19, 2020.

Experience the larger-than-life trucks that compete in Monster Jam and take a stroll through Thunder Alley. Get nose-to-grill with some of Monster Jam's biggest superstars where each truck's vivid personality and world-class legacy will be on display in unique and interactive ways. Hop in a multi-passenger Monster Jam Freestyle Ride Truck and feel the intense exhilaration of a Freestyle-inspired, action-packed course, witnessing it from the driver's point of view. Hang out in our impressive garage where you can see, touch and activate real-life elements of these mechanical marvels. Young truck enthusiasts will love our family-friendly play areas where their bright imaginations can run wild.

The best part? Monster Jam Thunder Alley™ is free with park admission!
Last edited by tarheel1231 on January 10th, 2020, 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm happy with this! The complex looks awesome, and it's nice that we're getting a higher capacity attraction in the waterpark.

So this is going to be near the Carolina Harbor entrance, right? I didn't think that area of land was enough to house another complex, but if so, that's pretty cool.
Yay Tatheel! :clap:

Looks great! Wasn’t expecting the larger version that Hershey got. I usually always find time for Carolina Harbor anyways so this won’t change anything. Very interesting and creative placement, I would have never thought to put a water slide there.

Also interesting that this marks the smallest investment since 2014, likely meaning we’ve seen the last of the “major overhaul” era. I can’t complain since it lasted double the time we were initially told. Or maybe I’m wrong and the park has more up there sleeve for 21 and beyond.

Regardless, very pleased with this, I’ll be getting plenty of laps on this in next summer.
kingsmountain wrote:I don’t think they are done with the major overhaul phase. They just need some time and budget to complete some much needed infrastructure projects. There is too much empty space with the closing of RRR and Dinosaurs Alive for them to be done with major additions.

The park will never be done with adding major additions, but don’t look at the park receiving them with as much frequency. In 5 years we got two major coasters, a revamped water park, about a dozen new flat rides over all, and a lot of infrastructure improvements and retheming of areas. That’s going to slow down now that the park is where they want it to be, and they’ll add strategic investments at a more modest pace.

“You have this nice shiny new coaster and then bam a big slide structure”

BAM a big nice shiny new slide structure. It makes perfect sense.
I'm happy for the water park people, and happy about Grand Carnival, but as a dry park person I'm a bit let down and here is why. The water park, and the kids sections were just overhauled a few years back. The park has only one relatively modern signature big boy flat, and that is the Top Scan. The rest of the County Fair rides were classic fillers, extremely common things you will see at any parking lot fair. IMO, County Fair need another big modern ride to make the experience more complete.

With that said, I get why the company is focusing on water park upgrades this year, and recently bought addition properties. That is where the public demand is. Hell I took my young niece and nephews to the park this year, ages 10 and down, and they were more interested in Carolina Harbor than Camp Snoopy. The money is made where kids want to go.
Edwardo wrote:
kingsmountain wrote:I don’t think they are done with the major overhaul phase. They just need some time and budget to complete some much needed infrastructure projects. There is too much empty space with the closing of RRR and Dinosaurs Alive for them to be done with major additions.

The park will never be done with adding major additions, but don’t look at the park receiving them with as much frequency. In 5 years we got two major coasters, a revamped water park, about a dozen new flat rides over all, and a lot of infrastructure improvements and retheming of areas. That’s going to slow down now that the park is where they want it to be, and they’ll add strategic investments at a more modest pace.

“You have this nice shiny new coaster and then bam a big slide structure”

BAM a big nice shiny new slide structure. It makes perfect sense.

Besides that, Fair has said they were going to install major attractions with less frequency. So far 2020 has proven that to be true.