General Carowinds discussion
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:
Distopia wrote:
Coasterphreak wrote:Let's be honest: the only reason they built the waterpark gate is to give themselves an opportunity to make it a separately ticketed attraction.

I am glad someone other than me caught on to that. I highly suspect they are waiting until most or all parks have separate waterpark gates so it can be a chain wide policy.

If each park’s respective waterpark is included in season passes only then it could drive more season pass sales.

Well, according to one member here (who has an MBA might I add :lol: :clap: :crazy: ) even not including SCarowinds is a bad business decision, imagine what not including the water park in the gold pass will do . . .

:lol:

Although I dont know if it'd be excluding the water park from the gold pass, or just give them the ability to sell a water park only ticket. Which gives the combined gold pass even more implied value, to offset...ahem... the removal of the Scarowinds benefits.
By Distopia
@CoasterBruh
“If each park’s respective waterpark is included in season passes only then it could drive more season pass sales.”

Where in this sentence did I say not including waterparks in gold pass let alone any pass?

I suggested that having a separately ticketed waterpark INCLUDED in season passes of any level could in my opinion drive Season Pass sales.
By coasterbruh
Relax. I was looking for any reason to have that tongue-in-cheek comment lol.
By Christopher Mallis
Another problem that we may run in to if they get rid of South Gate is the number of metal detectors at north Gate. On days when only north Gate is open and it’s really packed they have tons of people waiting to get in and they have all metal detectors in use. Are they able to add more? Right now it looks like it’s at capacity but I may be wrong.
By Coasterphreak
I mean, at the end of the day I don't see the park completely eliminating the south gate, but I can definitely see it being demolished and reconfigured much like they did the north gate.
By yawetag
Christopher Mallis wrote:Another problem that we may run in to if they get rid of South Gate is the number of metal detectors at north Gate. On days when only north Gate is open and it’s really packed they have tons of people waiting to get in and they have all metal detectors in use. Are they able to add more? Right now it looks like it’s at capacity but I may be wrong.

Does Carowinds do any "no bags" lines? I've never seen it, but I tend to avoid the busier days. Just adding a line or two of that will lessen the wait.
By uscbandfan
If they add parking in the grass area between the current parking lot and the parking payment payment booths, they could close the South Gate without issue (save the issue of parking at the waterpark and going into the dry park at the end of the day which is why I would hope they would institute an exit only gate over there somewhere... even behind Copperhead would work.)

One major issue with adding parking there is the fact that you have a steady stream of entering traffic that pedestrians would have to negotiate which could cause some issues. Probably not a good idea to have parking on the other side of the main entrance traffic.

What they could do is do away with the "S" bend after the entrance booths and make it a simple 'U' turn to come back on itself to eventually link up to the exit road. Then they could just extend the current lot all the way to there. South Gate would definitely then be rendered obsolete. It would also open up a LOT of land for rides!! :D

By tarheel1231
I feel like that’s probably what’s going to happen, with the extent to which the clearing spreads. They’re clearing that round corner next to the toll booth, so I think you’re right and that they’ll be able to reroute the entry road to the back of the new section.
By BS1983CLT
Since we now know Cedar Fair is planning on spending. $140 Million on new capital for 2020, I think Carowinds will for sure see a new ride next year!

In 2019, Cedar Fair spent $120 Million for example...

I def think we will see another coaster announced for the chain to go along with KI's Giga.

The $140 doesn't include - hotels or the sports parks either!

Very exciting!
By yawetag
I don't know if it means we're getting a new ride. Remember they added on two new water parks with the option of a third. I think we'll see some additional investment at both of those.

With 15 parks, that's about $9 million a park. Taking the $6 million out to get the KC water park, that leaves $131 for 16 parks - $8 million per park. We know Kings Island is getting a giga - around $15 million. Now we're at $7 million a park.

I'd be very surprised if we got anything major next year.
By coasterbruh
The price to acquire the water parks is not taken out of the capital for the 2020 products.

And we all know B&M anything is not cheap. I see a good portion of the capital going into events and experiences at the parks. They explicitly stated that they (to sum it up) realize that special events and a longer schedule promotes more attendance in the parks. So while shiny new rides brings the crowd, its always having something going on that keeps them. which is why they are doing the ̶H̶a̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶P̶o̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ Snoopy Celebration in between SCarowinds and Winterfest.
By yawetag
coasterbruh wrote:The price to acquire the water parks is not taken out of the capital for the 2020 products.

I didn't say it was. My point was that capital would be used to update those parks. When I said "additional investment", it meant new rides, new food, new computer systems. All that would fall into capital investments.
By HiveDive
yawetag wrote:I don't know if it means we're getting a new ride. Remember they added on two new water parks with the option of a third. I think we'll see some additional investment at both of those.

With 15 parks, that's about $9 million a park. Taking the $6 million out to get the KC water park, that leaves $131 for 16 parks - $8 million per park. We know Kings Island is getting a giga - around $15 million. Now we're at $7 million a park.

I'd be very surprised if we got anything major next year.

The Kings island giga is almost certainly going to cost almost 30 million dollars, Banshee, a ride with a track length of 4,100 ft cost 24 million dollars, the new Kings island giga will have 1,000+ more track length then Banshee, factor in inflation and it becomes apparent your 15 million dollar assumption is wildly inaccurate. Considering Carowinds is getting a new hotel next year I don’t see them getting any major investments, perhaps we may see the rapids ride get a retheme.
By Afterburn
BS1983CLT wrote:Since we now know Cedar Fair is planning on spending. $140 Million on new capital for 2020, I think Carowinds will for sure see a new ride next year!

In 2019, Cedar Fair spent $120 Million for example...

I def think we will see another coaster announced for the chain to go along with KI's Giga.

The $140 doesn't include - hotels or the sports parks either!

Very exciting!

Keep in mind, Cedar Fair didn't mention how this budget gets split up for things like asset maintenance and in-park improvements.

Here is what Six Flags does:
2018 revenue = $1.5 Billion

CapEx Budget is 9% of Revenue = $135 Million

CapEx Split (60% New Rides and Attractions, 25% Asset Maintenance, 15% In-Park)

New Rides and Attractions budget =$81 Million