Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By se7en
Not to intentionally steal any of the limelight from the (as of recently) ever changing entity we call "CAROWINDS", I think it’s worth noting that the 140 acre addition at the already entertainment pregnant Myrtle Beach has now officially been kicked off. According to the <a href='http://www.hrpusa.com/' target='_blank'>official website</a> the south should be the proud owner of a new $400 million theme park by April of 2008. The rumors of this new park were getting a little redundant for me. I kind of brushed off the idea of an "intensely themed" park actually coming to the Carolina's. Though, I can’t lie and say that I wasn’t the least bit excited that Hard Rock Park had finally made its way from the boardroom table to a nice little spot next to the intercoastal waterway called Fantasy Harbor. With a fused guitar/shovel in hand the vice president and executive chief officer of Hard Rock, and SC governor Mark Sanford lead the groundbreaking ceremony on July 13. Again this is very exciting news, but my hang up is am I setting myself up for a disappointment. 1) As most of you know the airport is a stones throw away from Fantasy Harbor. So with respect to clearance issues from the FCC I’m guessing that there will not be a towering giant in the distance as I pass through Conway into Myrtle Beach. 2) Don’t expect to be blown away by some extravagant conception of what the park will look like when you go to their very vague website. I don’t know if this is some sort of marketing ploy, but you would think that they would actually want to go ahead and start getting the public excited about it. I will have to say they do have a really neat live webcam of the construction site *kudos*, but I don’t know what exactly is missing here but there is definitely something missing. No idea of what rides to expect...lots of animosity (or should I say room for imagination). I don’t know maybe its just me. Anyways be sure to check out the video storybook of the groundbreaking, it’s definitely worth watching. See you at Hard Rock Park in 2008!

<a href='http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/multimedia/myrtlebeachonline/KRT_packages/archive/mm/hardrockpark/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/multimedi...park/index.html</a>

*Just as a side note, thanks alot for keeping me up all night last night. I literally read (as far as I know) every posts on this website. I had no idea that our beloved Carowinds is about to see some major changes.
By bgwfreak
This is actually about 2 weeks old. The groundbreaking was on July 13.

I am very excited about this park though. I hope they do a great job with it.
By wdwspider
So they better have the same Hard Rock food in the parks (Pig sandwich anyone?). They already have the Amusement Park food prices down. :D
By Bk1870
I'm excited about this new park...just like everyone else. It'll be the sub for Myrtle Beach. I hope it's just as good, that was a nice park for what it was. They sure did try.
By swampfox43
This <a href='http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/multimedia/myrtlebeachonline/KRT_packages/archive/mm/hardrockpark/index.html' target='_blank'>slideshow</a> is not posted on the parks home page but there are two views that interest me. One is an artist rendering clearly showing a B&M type coaster (4th picture). The following picture is an aerial showing the park boundries. This park will back right up to a Methodist Church. I wonder how that will go over?
By wdwspider
Medieval Times may see some awesome attendance figures once the park opens.
By Edwardo
That view of the park boundries is a bit out of date. The final land area is a bit larger, but I'm not totally sure how large. I wonder if they're using one of those old Fantasy Harbor theaters in the park? I know Medival Times will be right there and all, but the other theater left looks like it will be in park boundries, and I don't think it has been used for a while. I wonder if they're going to use that lake side amphitheater as well.

I know they're using at least one of the old Waccamaw buildings.

I hope they release the official model soon and open the welcome center.
By Cephas
The caption of the last slide in the slide show posted above mentions the park will have "a rollercoaster." This doesn't sound good.
By fajimenez
Cephas wrote: The caption of the last slide in the slide show posted above mentions the park will have "a rollercoaster."  This doesn't sound good.

You probably are much more knowledgable about the industry than I am, but when you think Myrtle Beach, you think about people who spend a week down there. Timeshares, Condo rental, etc. I do it. But -- I'm not going to drive from MB the 3.5 hours to Carowinds, no matter how bored of the beach I am on my 5th or 6th day of vacation.

Is it really going to draw that many people away from Carowinds?

MB is a destination. Carowinds is mostly a day trip.
By coasterholic14
^my thoughts exactly, especially if the hard rock park turns out to be really good and has a great selection of rides (i'm definetly planning on going when it opens, especially if that B&M in the teasers comes true). But on the upside, then Carowinds will finally have to do something it really never has, COMPETE. Which will hopefully mean more big rides and thrill rides and finally a little less of the family rides to stay competative and become more of a "tourist destination"
By MarkD
fajimenez, good point and well said!!

MB is a destination. Carowinds is mostly a day trip.

coasterholic14 I'm not sure about the Family attractions tho. In my opinion Hard Rock will have plenty of Family stuff going on. I just see how the trend seems to be in favor of Family attractions but you'd think they could at least make them a little more thrilling. Take Dollywood for example. With thier upcoming coaster with all of it's themeing makes it more of a Family ride than it would if it was just built on a concrete slab and out in the open.

I love competition but I don't see it effecting Carowinds for some time. They would have to come out of the gate full speed to match what we have to steal our business, or at least steal the amount needed to be really noticable. With CF at the helm now I think they are up for the challenge.
By Cephas
fajimenez...you kinda misinterpreted me.

I was just being an enthusiast expressing displeasure in the fact that HRP will only have a single coaster...not in the fact that it could steal business from carowinds.

On a different note, I dunno if the park will be much of a destination (and steal much business) if they only have one coaster. Theming only goes so far...
By Jay
Where did you see that it would just have one? I mean obviously the only renderings I have seen have been of a B&M sitdown/floorless, but that doesn't mean much I think. I have heard numbers anywhere from 1-5.. with 3 being most likely obviously. I think one woodie, one steelie, and one kiddie/family coaster would be just perfect.
By coasterholic14
Cephas wrote: On a different note, I dunno if the park will be much of a destination (and steal much business) if they only have one coaster. Theming only goes so far...

Yes, but remember quality over quantity. If they have even one really highly rated/world class coaster, people will travel to see it. If they end up having two or three coasters, if they are really highly rated, then they could become copetition (especially if they have a good selection of flat rides/thrill rides to go along with it)Plus, a lot of people will go anyway the first few years to see what it's like. I know i'm already planning on checking it out. And if it's any good, I'll probably make some weekend trips down there (which would end up cutting down on my Carowinds trips). Obviously we can't put too much into the renderings, as parks often do stray at least some from the concept art, but we know for sure they will have at least one coaster (from the concepts and that they have stated that), but what i've seen and heard sounds promising.
By montumax
Personally, I think everybody is reading too much into the picture of the coaster in the teaser. It'd probably wind up being a Vekoma SLC.