General Carowinds discussion
By Dukeis#1
coasterbruh wrote: comparing that to the magic kingdom is like apples to oranges. carowinds wasnt built around the sternwheeler. however magic kingdom is built around the castle. its all about what the public want and given the choice i think the public would want to get rid of the boat vs. some othr ride. like it was mention earlier everyone was pratically screaming put something on the island. and now when they want to people are crying about the change. you just cant please everyone i see...........

You've missed my point entirely. I'm saying that the Riverboat was the closest thing we had to a "park icon". (unless you consider it the skytower) I Did not anywhere say that the icon was in the middle of the park, and someparks don't have icons. And I'm sure the public would object to the removal of the boat if they new about the Unused Parking Lot Behind Thunder Road.

Either way you do have to admit it will leave a void for certain age groups within the park. (Particularly since there is no Entertainment within the park other than the Scooby Show and that crappy Kareoke thing they do at the entrance)

And besides, I was never one of the people that was "screaming" put a ride on the island. I'm more for them getting rid of Rip Roarin Rapids or the Paladium instead. (IMO the only rides that should be added to Carowinds for a few years are Flats. Not enough variety as it is)
By Drafin
I would venture a guess that everyone that is arguing for the removal of the Queen is under 25 and everyone that is arguing for it to stay is over 25.

The under 25 crowd did not have a chance to go in on the action in the first few years of the park.

I myself am only 35 but remember the "good old days". My family took me the first year and have been back every year since. Gotta do some soul searching now to determine if I want to keep going year after year just to ride the latest coaster.

I venture to guess that many of the people that have no interest in seeing the icons of the past stay intact, would be happier with a park with 25 coasters in it than they ever could have been in first few years of Carowinds.

Heck, lets tear down the Skytower, the Gold Rusher, Scooby Doo, Thunder Road, and everything else that is not a steel coaster less than 10 years old and only put in coasters that will pin you to the seat and go 6000 miles an hour with the ride lasting 4.98 seconds. ;)

All I am saying is this, PC is becoming more and more geared toward the 13-21 year olds (in everything but price :)) and I guess they are the ones that spend mom and dad's money.

It is not just the Queen being gone. It is the Queen and many other park rides that are gone from the grounds.

Carowinds just will not be the same with the Queen added to the list of the many long gone icons. Maybe I am just an old sentimental fool.

Drafin
By coasterdave
Here is the fate of the Carolina Queen according to the reginal ACE rep. I am sure alot of you got this e-mail but I am posting it for the members of this board who are not ACE members.

PARAMOUNT'S CAROWINDS SAYS GOODBYE

At Carowinds, while the flying coaster for 2004 continues to rise, the
Carolina sternwheeler has disappeared like a ghost during Scarowinds.
Sadly, it is definitely gone for good. Carowind's engineers and
maintenance staff took a good look at it and decided the best course of
action was to dismantle it. They had originally hoped to incorporate it
into the design of the new flying coaster, but determind that this
wasn't feasible. Attendees to the ACE Southeast Regional Carolina
Coaster Classic earlier this year could easily see effects of a moving
accident which created a hole in the hull.

So folks it is gone and there is nothing we can do about it. Hope you got to take a last spin on her this year.
By Trev32
dangit...i'd never gotten to ride it,we walked across it i asked if i could my parents said "later you can" but later never came >(
By CarowindsZone
Finally...the truth may of came...why didn't they just leave it alone, and changed the track to go where it was shown.
By coasterdave
CarowindsZone wrote: Finally...the truth may of came...why didn't they just leave it alone, and changed the track to go where it was shown.

And just what in the blue hell are you talking about the track changed?
By CarowindsZone
where the track bends take that out, and put a straight section in the track goes towards the bank.
By ghettopastries
What are you talking about?! in the goes towards the bank?! what???
By CarowindsZone
where the water ends and it turns into dry land!
By coasterdave
CarowindsZone wrote: where the track bends take that out, and put a straight section in the track goes towards the bank.

What in the heck are you smoking?

Once again there is nothing you can do to bring it back. Time to move on.
By CarowindsZone
I know, I was just thinking about what could of done, so that hole wouldn't of got put in it.
By Dukeis#1
Well, I think it might have been possible to move the boat to the proper position using it's own power without lifting it off the track. (Of course they would not have been able to turn it around though)

Either was I don't see why it would have not been simple to patch up a Hole on the Hull, particularly since the boat would not actually have to move or float any more, with it being stationary.
By coasterbruh
Does anyone else agree with me when i say stop beating a dead horse!!! Its gone FOREVER. Repeating over and over "they could have patched the hole" isnt going to bring the boat back. The VP's made a decision and its final................

Just think...........do you think they would have sold the sign if they planned on keeping it.........that was just a clue to me. Im sure they wouldnt just have a boat without a sign. And im quite sure they wouldnt have sold a sign just to get a new one.
By CarowindsZone
No, we can't! The boat will remain on our minds until we get something better to talk about. Why did they even it round, would of make more since to have it facing Stealth than facing the walkway.
By Dukeis#1
coasterbruh wrote: Just think...........do you think they would have sold the sign if they planned on keeping it.........that was just a clue to me. Im sure they wouldnt just have a boat without a sign. And im quite sure they wouldnt have sold a sign just to get a new one.

We'll seewhat you think in Fifteen years when they decide to remove Top Gun for something that could have easily been placed at another location...