General Carowinds discussion
By Hiveminded
Major news from the park, I feel this could potentially go on even longer than the next three weeks but I feel its absolutely for the better for them to close.

Posted to the parks Instagram:
Stay safe out there everyone.
Last edited by Hiveminded on April 14th, 2020, 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I dont understand all these 2-3 week closings, delays, etc. We're going to be living with this well into the summer, and maybe through fall and next winter. What does pushing things 3 weeks accomplish? Learning to live with it is the only thing that's going to make it better (short of a cure, of course). Temporarily avoiding that fact is just delaying what's inevitable; if you're going to close the park now (or schools, or businesses) it should be with the expectation it'll be until there is a vaccine....
Glitch99 wrote:I dont understand all these 2-3 week closings, delays, etc. We're going to be living with this well into the summer, and maybe through fall and next winter. What does pushing things 3 weeks accomplish? Learning to live with it is the only thing that's going to make it better (short of a cure, of course). Temporarily avoiding that fact is just delaying what's inevitable; if you're going to close the park now (or schools, or businesses) it should be with the expectation it'll be until there is a vaccine....

It's so much "I don't know what i'm talking about" in that post masked by sheer inexpert in the situation at hand.

I'm gonna answer one thing. . .
"What does pushing things 3 weeks accomplish?"
It reduces the chances of anyone coming in contact with anyone that may have it, be it dormant or active. Large crowds are a hot spot for casually spreading things. Reducing those, helps alleviate the spread of it and helps get a better handle on the situation.
coasterbruh wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:I'm gonna answer one thing. . .
"What does pushing things 3 weeks accomplish?"
It reduces the chances of anyone coming in contact with anyone that may have it, be it dormant or active. Large crowds are a hot spot for casually spreading things.

Well, yeah. That's pretty much what I said as well. And that isnt going to change in 3 weeks. It probably isnt going to change in 3 months. So again I ask, what's the logic that makes April 3 a more appropriate day to open? The exact same (if not worse) factors will be in play then, that are prompting the postponements/cancellations now.
I suggest you research how being quarantined and limiting large groups help stop the spread in affected areas pre-USA instead of giving your uninformed opinion of what will probably work and won't. in 3 weeks, people will know they have it, actually they will know around 10 days. that gives time to get treatment and and even more restrictive quarantine. 3 weeks is plenty of time to semi-isolate new cases and to slow/stop the spread. This isn't the first time this has happen and it isn't the first time effective quarantining has helped slow/stop the spread of a virus. Carowinds know what they are doing and, i'm sure, had plenty of expert advise before just announcing they are delaying opening.
Glitch99 wrote:I dont understand all these 2-3 week closings, delays, etc. We're going to be living with this well into the summer, and maybe through fall and next winter. What does pushing things 3 weeks accomplish? Learning to live with it is the only thing that's going to make it better (short of a cure, of course). Temporarily avoiding that fact is just delaying what's inevitable; if you're going to close the park now (or schools, or businesses) it should be with the expectation it'll be until there is a vaccine....

I'm sure you've seen the "Flatten the Curve" stories out there. I hope you've read them.

In effect, the same 70ish% of people will get it, but the hospitals will have a better chance of not overloading, giving more people the access to life-saving equipment.
coasterbruh wrote:I suggest you research how being quarantined and limiting large groups help stop the spread in affected areas pre-USA instead of giving your uninformed opinion of what will probably work and won't. in 3 weeks, people will know they have it, actually they will know around 10 days. that gives time to get treatment and and even more restrictive quarantine. 3 weeks is plenty of time to semi-isolate new cases and to slow/stop the spread. This isn't the first time this has happen and it isn't the first time effective quarantining has helped slow/stop the spread of a virus. Carowinds know what they are doing and, i'm sure, had plenty of expert advise before just announcing they are delaying opening.

Uninformed opinion? I am informed. And I am fully aware that if we lock down everyone in place for 2 weeks, it'll mostly contain the spread. But that has not happened, and likely will not happen.

Even states are now starting to acknowledge that these "2 week" school closings are likely to instead result in the school year being over. That's my whole point.
yawetag wrote:

I'm sure you've seen the "Flatten the Curve" stories out there. I hope you've read them.

Yeah, but what's glossed over is how "flattening the curve" also extends the curve. Where a sharp spike will be mostly over within a month (with a lot of negatives, I'm not saying that's what should happen), a flattened curve will drag it out for 3 months, 6 months, potentially even longer. I'm not saying there's no purpose, I'm saying that a 2 week timeframe is a pipe dream. Absent a ful-scale nationwide lockdown (which comes with it's own impossible logistical 'challenges'), optimistically, I'd guess the park will eventually open the same time as the waterpark.

If Carowinds opens as now scheduled on April 3, it'll be because the prevailing thoughts have shifted to learning to live with the risks rather than trying to avoid the risks. It wont be because things are under control and the risks have passed.
Glitch99 wrote:Yeah, but what's glossed over is how "flattening the curve" also extends the curve. Where a sharp spike will be mostly over within a month (with a lot of negatives, I'm not saying that's what should happen), a flattened curve will drag it out for 3 months, 6 months, potentially even longer.

It's not "glossed over," it's inherent in the purpose itself. The only people "glossing over" that are people who can't read a graph.

If we were to just go about life like normal, as you suggest, you're talking thousands, possibly tens of thousands - maybe millions, of lives being lost once hospitals have to start triage of patients and sending many of them home to die, only to save the few they can. Sure, it's over in a month or two (assuming you become immune after you're infected), but at what cost?

Instituting the steps that have been taken will help in distancing people from each other. Sure, we still have to go get groceries and supplies, maybe even walk around the park for some exercise and fresh air. But limiting exposure will limit the spike, thereby allowing hospitals the capabilities to remain under their threshold - and saving more lives.

In the end, the same number of people get infected. What changes is how many die.
yawetag wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:Yeah, but what's glossed over is how "flattening the curve" also extends the curve. Where a sharp spike will be mostly over within a month (with a lot of negatives, I'm not saying that's what should happen), a flattened curve will drag it out for 3 months, 6 months, potentially even longer.

It's not "glossed over," it's inherent in the purpose itself. The only people "glossing over" that are people who can't read a graph.

If we were to just go about life like normal, as you suggest, you're talking thousands, possibly tens of thousands - maybe millions, of lives being lost once hospitals have to start triage of patients and sending many of them home to die, only to save the few they can. Sure, it's over in a month or two (assuming you become immune after you're infected), but at what cost?

Instituting the steps that have been taken will help in distancing people from each other. Sure, we still have to go get groceries and supplies, maybe even walk around the park for some exercise and fresh air. But limiting exposure will limit the spike, thereby allowing hospitals the capabilities to remain under their threshold - and saving more lives.

In the end, the same number of people get infected. What changes is how many die.

Again, absolutely nothing to do with my point. And no, I did not suggest "just going about life like normal". In fact, I said the opposite.
To be clear, the "two weeks" was based on the fact that most medical professionals think that the incubation period of this virus is two weeks. 97% of those infected come through the other side just like the flu. The problem is carriers during the incubation period spreading the virus to families who then potentially infect the high-risk population. Keeping large populations of people together VASTLY increases that risk. The hospitals are not equipped to handle that kind of influx into the system and death rates would be MUCH higher if that many people get the virus at one time.

My guess is that the two-week moratorium on crowds will probably be extended as we learn more. I think by summer we'll reach the top of that "flattened curve". A true vaccine is probably a year away (they began human trials yesterday... (65 days from culture to trial is the fastest in history.). We just need to be vigilant, be clean, and endure the onset.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May we who are merely inconvenienced.
Remember those whose lives are at stake.

May we who have no risk factors.
Remember those most vulnerable.

May we who have the luxury of working from home.
Remember those who must choose between preserving their health and making their rent.

May we who have the flexibility to care for our children when their schools close.
Remember those who have no options.

May we who have to cancel our trips.
Remember those who have no safe place to go.

May we who are losing our margin money in the tumult of our economic market.
Remember those who have no margin.

May we who settle in for a quarantine at home.
Remember those who have no home.

As fear grips our country
Let us choose love.
During this time when we cannot physically wrap our arms around each other.
- Kevin Frawley
Would not surprise me. I’d bet Carowinds likely won’t open until around Memorial Day. Until then do your part and quarantine if you can.
Called it lol.

Cedar Fair chose a good time for an off year. Tourism as a whole is going to take a beating this year.