General Carowinds discussion
By Lit
Afterburn is turning 20 and it is still a great coaster. Carowinds is posting all about “Afterburn Celebration Week” on their social media’s. What do you like or dislike about Afterburn? Any fond memories worth sharing?
By tarheel1231
Two decades later and I still can’t completely decide if it’s my second or third favorite ride in the park. It’s easily Carowinds’ most forceful ride, and forever a classic. Here’s to 100 more years of operation! :D
By FezzyGamer
I met a dude riding Ricochet who works at the park and was there on his day off. We were discussing coasters and he said “I think the first inversion of Afterburn might be faster than all of Fury.” :lol:
By dirkdiggler1992
It was my first looping coaster, my dad made me ride it at a very young age, barely tall enough to ride. Think it was it’s second year of operation. Still love it and probably my personal favorite in the park, it’d be the one I’d be most upset over losing.

Crazy how much the ride has increased in exposure amongst enthusiasts once Fury opened, we knew it was good all along.
By gabed
I've been on nearly a dozen inverts and Afterburn still holds up as one of my favorites. I'll never understand why Paramount gave it to us, but man am I grateful.
By yawetag
I definitely rode Top Gun the year it opened. At the time, there was only Carolina Cyclone and Vortex for inversions at the park, so it was a BIG DEAL. I loved (and love) the ride, but never realized the popularity it had with enthusiasts until I moved back last year.

Somewhere in the box of photographs, there's an on-ride photo of my wife (then girlfriend) and I from 2001. It's still the only photo I've ever purchased from a coaster.
By BelowThePeak
Afterburn is the very first coaster I remember ever riding. I was there with my then church group in 2005 when I was 9. I was terrified and remember standing outside the queue deciding whether or not to suck it up and ride... but then I decided to brave it, and I had a blast. It's what started my love for roller coasters and is still my favorite coaster to this day (even though there are definitely better rides).

If/when the day comes where it's removed, I'll probably be devastated. Carowinds would always feel incomplete without it.
By Lit
I love this coaster. I feel like it’s sort of a “hidden gem” since it’s so out-of-the-way. Despite its age, it is still the best invert I’ve ever been on.

I wish the first drop had a better view, when I’m looking down on the parking lot, I like to imagine it’s water or even a part of the park with people mingling and looking up at us.

My favorite... or most memorable memory: that time my g/f got stung by a bee in between her legs!!!

I will definitely go for a ride on it before work tonight!!!
By aoriole19
Easily my favorite invert I've been on (and my first!). When I first visited the park as a little kid, I thought it was crazy that you had to take your shoes off if you were wearing flip flops and that scared the hell out of me for some reason.
By KIJester
Just saw this post from Carowind's Twitter feed....

Will B&M Inverts last 40 years? I know Raptor will be 30 in 2024
Attachments