General Carowinds discussion
Techedchart1551 wrote:If i know my park geography enough, windseeker is on the South Carolina side. Am I correct?

If only there was a site where you could verify the information yourself in less time that it takes to post a comment on the forum. :wink:

carowinds.PNG
carowinds.PNG (60.84 KiB) Viewed 9764 times
pproteinc wrote:Rides have to go through state inspection every season. Depending on which side of the border the ride is on the NC or the SC state inspectors of amusement rides and elevators come in to inspect each ride.

So you think the contractor worked for the state of South Carolina?
phareous wrote:Does anyone know more about using contractors at the park? I assumed park maintenance (working for Carowinds) inspected all rides. Do they bring in extra help before the season opening, or was this person contracted with the ride manufacturer perhaps?

You never use the person doing the maintenance to verify that the maintenance is being done properly.... Especially when fresh eyes can spot things that otherwise go unnoticed.

I'd guess this contractor was a level between park maintenance and state inspectors, in the ride safety hierarchy. Kind of an auditor, so to speak, the park brings in to help ensure things are in order before the state guys come for official inspections.
Last edited by Glitch99 on March 7th, 2019, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris wrote:
Techedchart1551 wrote:If i know my park geography enough, windseeker is on the South Carolina side. Am I correct?

If only there was a site where you could verify the information yourself in less time that it takes to post a comment on the forum. :wink:

He had enough time to post in the forum when he was supposed to be paying attention in class but ran out of time to pull up Google Maps. :wink:
Christopher Mallis wrote:Windseeker will be down for a good bit. OSHA has launched a full investigation that will take up to 8 weeks and they're specifically looking for any violations of the ride.

I never understand this. What happened should be pretty straightforward; either the safety equipment is there or it isnt, either something malfunctioned or it didnt. What could possibly be uncovered on day 55 that wouldnt have been clear on day 1?
Glitch99 wrote:
Christopher Mallis wrote:Windseeker will be down for a good bit. OSHA has launched a full investigation that will take up to 8 weeks and they're specifically looking for any violations of the ride.

I never understand this. What happened should be pretty straightforward; either the safety equipment is there or it isnt, either something malfunctioned or it didnt. What could possibly be uncovered on day 55 that wouldnt have been clear on day 1?

Or there isn’t suppose to be safety equipment there because it was removed for inspection or what they were working on.

I haven’t been following closely but there is a very remote possibility that he was from Mondial doing warranty or recall work that Carowinds has to let them do.

There is so many possibilities, way more than the common Carowinds fan is going to know anything about.

Is this official word? I'd think a lot of their on-site investigation would only take a few days or a week, but a lot of the "investigation" will simply be combing through maintenance records, statements by those at the location, and writing a report.

In my past career, we had an employee killed on an elevator. OSHA was on site for only a day or two and allowed the elevator to operate. Still took them several weeks before the investigation was complete and a final report written.

I also know that amusement park rides may receive more scrutiny than an elevator.
Multiple news sources reported the investigation. I’m not sure why it’s taking this long. It could possibly be because of how complicated of a ride windseeker is, there’s so many different mechanisms. It could possibly deal with the rides past (I doubt it). Oh and a quick correction: the investigation could TAKE UP TO 8 weeks, meaning, it could be over in a day 8 weeks is just their allotted time.
News out today that Cedar Fair was fined $42k for the incident, $7k for each of 6 violations: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/paren ... 1007540540

You can view the details on OSHA's website: https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establish ... 384093.015. Looks like 4 violations of "Permit-required confined spaces" and 2 violations of "The control of hazardous energy (lockout/tagout)".