General Carowinds discussion
By phareous
I really can't think of any rides that don't have lines... even the worst rides at Carowinds always make me wait

For on the other hand, RRR needed like 11 employees to run it, so I could see that being a consideration
By coasterbruh
If I were a betting man, it went seasonal because of low ridership. . .

White water falls wasn't seasonal. . .

But bottom line, it's in the way.
By tarheel1231
coasterbruh wrote:If I were a betting man, it went seasonal because of low ridership. . .

ACKCHYUALLY, White Water Falls would close down in September for SCarowinds, since the queue was used for Cornstalkers
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:If I were a betting man, it went seasonal because of low ridership. . .

I'm sure ridership was low on days in the 50s and 60s, especially since you'd be stuck walking around in the cool weather in wet clothes and shoes.

Another factor is that they used lifeguards.
By RollerBee

WWF always had a shorter line if any line.
By coasterbruh
In my years of coasters and parks, I have gained a better and more thorough understanding of it all. Now, as this is my thoughts, there are several key elements that determines the fate of the ride:

Cost to run
Cost to operate
Popularity
Value

At any given time any of the factors can outweigh the other but it seems, to me, the only one that can't be trumped is Value. Many of times parks have made, what we enthusiast may label as, bad decisions by removing a seemingly popular and well ran ride. However, years later we see how that decision improved the park. Universal did it with Jaws AND Dueling Dragons, Disney did it with the Osborne Family Lights, Carowinds did it with Thunder Road.

So at the end of the day, I feel these factors factored into the decision to remove it with one really outweighing the others.
By Glitch99
I agree completely. I believe long before it was removed from any maps, I called out RRR as being the likely site of the next new development. For pretty much those same reasons (besides popularity, which gets trumped by the others).

It's still kind of unfortunate they didnt give it some kind of a send-off. Aside from the fact there were long lines for it anyways, without everyone trying to get their one last ride.
By Techedchart1551
cedar fair and abrupt closings... yeah that's happened three times within the chain within the past month or so. THREE RIDES: RRR, Orbiter at CW, and Volcano at KD. None of those rides got a send off. Here is the reasoning: A. can't ride them, it's the off season. B. Volcano and I believe RRR had a lot of downtime.

Now, the reason why they close orbiter and RRR without notice from the park itself, is where it gets interesting. They dont announce the removal, they just get rid of them without a trace.
By uscbandfan
Yeah. Overall numbers don't do it justice because of the low capacity. During the summer, it's ALWAYS packed. I've often skipped it (or skipped a repeat ride) just because of the long wait times. I would definitely have ridden it more if the wait times were shorter (i.e. higher capacity).

Anyway, whatever they put there, I hope they tie it into the Thrill Zone area (or whatever they will want to call it) and put an access path to Thrill Zone BEFORE the theater and maybe re-work the access road. But, I'm sure the issue is having the access road to the theater available all the time. If they put the path before the Arbor, then the pizza joint couldn't be accessed.

We're probably stuck with having to go around the theater from now until forever unless they put in a bridge at the current RRR entrance and connect to the end of Thrill Zone that way. The topography would support that without steps (which will be the main criteria, I'm sure.) I think I would actually like that. ... and have the entrance to the "new" ride just off the bridge on the other side in Thrill Zone near the bathrooms.
By Techedchart1551
heck, maybe carowinds should add a train or a skyway. monorails are out of the picture since a monorail really wouldn't work here as well as other parks.
By coasterbruh
Parks like to control traffic flow. I doubt they would create a path to bypass a lot of their money making venues.
By Techedchart1551
but i think a train or skyway could give amazing scenic views of the park, and it could be a relaxing source of transport for families
By uscbandfan
Not skipping too many money making venues. Heck, create a few more on the new "bridgeway" over to Thrill Zone and another one right on the other side. (Or one on each side)
By Chris
Techedchart1551 wrote:cedar fair and abrupt closings... yeah that's happened three times within the chain within the past month or so. THREE RIDES: RRR, Orbiter at CW, and Volcano at KD. None of those rides got a send off. Here is the reasoning: A. can't ride them, it's the off season. B. Volcano and I believe RRR had a lot of downtime.

What's the last ride they announced a closing/last rides for? Firehawk? Crap ride, who cares.
Before that, was it Thunder Road? Maybe they learned their lesson.