General Carowinds discussion
By mdsmith98
They said it’s being retired, and to say goodbye. It was asked if there is any chance of a rehab, and the response was “We don’t know what’s going to happen there yet”.
By BelowThePeak
I can't say I'm too happy with the decision at the moment. We went from having 3 water rides in 2008... to zero in 2019. With the heat we have down here, I feel like we need at least one "wet" ride in the dry park.

Having said that, RRR's plot of land is a pretty big one. I'll be interested to see what they decide to do with it.
By phareous
Especially when you consider nearby parks still have plenty of water rides... It's a strange thing to make Carowinds to have none
By tarheel1231
I still don’t get the argument that because the water park exists, the park is covered in terms of water attractions. It’s only open Memorial Day through Labor Day and it’s still hot as hell down here for two months outside of that timeframe.
By Christopher Mallis
So I’m guessing a calico rapids refurbishment is out of the option? Was it clearly stated at winter warm up? This is kinda sad. Carowinds barely has any original ride from their first few years of operations. It’ll be hard to move all the rock out of there for whatever is coming next.
By mdsmith98
Christopher Mallis wrote:So I’m guessing a calico rapids refurbishment is out of the option? Was it clearly stated at winter warm up? This is kinda sad. Carowinds barely has any original ride from their first few years of operations. It’ll be hard to move all the rock out of there for whatever is coming next.

The park stated the ride is being retired. When asked if it’s going to be rehabbed, they said “We don’t know what’s going to happen there yet”. So as far as I know, that isn’t off the table unless someone asked privately and got a more clear answer.
By RollerBee
Christopher Mallis wrote:So I’m guessing a calico rapids refurbishment is out of the option? Was it clearly stated at winter warm up? This is kinda sad. Carowinds barely has any original ride from their first few years of operations. It’ll be hard to move all the rock out of there for whatever is coming next.

What rocks? Isn’t most of the area concrete made to look like rocks?
By Chris
Someone asked the future of the rapids. They said rapid will be retired.
I followed up with, "so are you saying that rules out any chance of a rehab?"
She answered, "we don't know what we are doing with the area yet. The rapids will be retired." (or something similar)
It had a big, "it's gone" feel. Maybe someone will upload the video of the presentations.
By Jackalope1217
I just did some measurements on google earth and found out that RRR's land is about 4 acres and so is DA's land. They both seem like enough for some coasters or new flats.
By coasterbruh
I'm not an official spokesman for the park but I can say, with confidence, the Rapids is gone and is not coming back even with a rehab.

A lot of the rides we grew up long were all made around the same time. Unfortunately as we get older, so do they. Couple that with low ridership it turns into a no Brainerd to remove it.

But if it's makes anyone feel better, six flags in GA is removing their splash water falls and dollywood is not bringing back sidewinder this year either.
By sccoasterbear
I just think it sucks that you can’t cool down without wearing a swimsuit anymore. Not everyone has a swimmer build. And let’s face it, summer is hot in the south.
By coasterbruh
Christopher Mallis wrote:There’s still a chance. Maybe there waiting to see how the calico rapids conversion does.

The only way to have a chance is if you had a time machine . . .
By gabed
With onsite water parks included with the admission of most parks for quite some time now, I’m surprised so many water rides have stuck around for as long as they have. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I couldn’t care any less if Rapids gets leveled. If I want to get wet, I’ll do it in a bathing suit, not an entire outfit that will remain damp for the entire day.