General Carowinds discussion
By Edwardo
Your conjecture about when the US will get another Vekoma ride still doesn’t answer what you mean about CF and Vekoma working together.

Vekoma is now under Sansei. CF definitely works with them...
By RollerBee
I looked yesterday and haven’t found any demolition permits for Carowinds in Mecklenburg County. Take that as you may.
By phareous
RollerBee wrote:I looked yesterday and haven’t found any demolition permits for Carowinds in Mecklenburg County. Take that as you may.

I had the same idea last week and couldn't find anything either. So whatever plans they have for it, it may be in the early stages
By uscbandfan
My guess is they'll have whatever is going to replace it all lined up and ready to go and file demolition permits then so that construction can begin immediately after. If it's a ride for 2020, it may sit just as it is until late summer. ... or until next summer if whatever is new wont be until 2021.

No sense in bringing in a bunch of construction equipment to demolish it only to sit dormant and then have to bring in construction equipment again to build.
By Glitch99
Isnt it kind of strange they'd quietly close it, without giving it a farewell tour or any final fanfare whatsoever? Yet then let it sit there, intact, all summer?

I'm wondering if an expensive repair has forced their hand, and it's yet to be determined if they're going to make the investment or remove it. If they're merely waiting to see the results of a similar overhaul, there'd be no reason to not keep it operating as-is in the meantime.
By phareous
I suppose its possible, but it's a very simple ride: 4 pumps, two pneumatic arms/gates, 5 or so conveyor belts, a bunch of optical sensors, and whatever passed for a computer control system in 1982..
By yawetag
phareous wrote:and whatever passed for a computer control system in 1982..

Found the problem!
By dirkdiggler1992
Glitch99 wrote:Isnt it kind of strange they'd quietly close it, without giving it a farewell tour or any final fanfare whatsoever? Yet then let it sit there, intact, all summer?

It could have been a decision made after the summer season. Perhaps it was a corporate cost-cutting decision. Parks have closed rides like Volcano or Blackpool’s Wild Mouse without any notice.
By Glitch99
phareous wrote:I suppose its possible, but it's a very simple ride: 4 pumps, two pneumatic arms/gates, 5 or so conveyor belts, a bunch of optical sensors, and whatever passed for a computer control system in 1982..

...and a very long, narrow channel of water. I know it is nothing remotely comparable to maintaining a swimming pool, but I imagine it's still going to erode and degrade over time.
By coasterbruh
To be fair, volcano never reopen to actually close.
By coasterbruh
Ok , it's pretty much done for. . . .
By tarheel1231
Oof. Well, if that's the case, I'm changing my prediction for that spot to become a Forbidden Frontier-style interactive area. Sad that we had to lose our last water ride for it though. :(
By RollerBee
It was put bluntly at Winter Warm up that Rapids is being retired, so say goodbye.