General Carowinds discussion
By uscbandfan
coasterbruh wrote:But . . . Those dryers just showed up a few years ago.

Agreed. Those rides were put there because of their popularity not for a dryer. There were no dryers back in 1982. It was because people enjoying getting splashed on a hot summer day. If you don't want to get splashed, then don't get on the doggone ride. Maybe 20,000 other guests do.

I'm not saying to rebuild RRR. I just would like a water ride in the dry park. My vote would be for a flume in the dinos area.
By yawetag
coasterbruh wrote:Let's say they do decide to get rid of it. What could possibly fit on the site? the site the rapids sits on is virtually an Island surrounded by service roads.

A wing coaster could easily fit in the space, given the sizes of current ones.. Not that they'll put another major coaster in so quickly after CS, but it could be done.

If there's any rumblings of removing the paladium, it opens up the area greatly. The service road behind the Scrambler, theater, and Fury's entrance can be taken out, and the whole area can become a new section of the park.
By Glitch99
uscbandfan wrote:
Agreed. Those rides were put there because of their popularity not for a dryer. There were no dryers back in 1982. It was because people enjoying getting splashed on a hot summer day. If you don't want to get splashed, then don't get on the doggone ride. Maybe 20,000 other guests do.

I'm not saying to rebuild RRR. I just would like a water ride in the dry park. My vote would be for a flume in the dinos area.

No one is questioning the merits of such rides. All these responses seem to have the premise that a water park placement would somehow turn it into a completely different ride.

Forget "located in the water park", since there's apparently such a stigma attached to it. How about "accessible to changing facilities for guests who prefer to change before getting wet"?
By uscbandfan
If you prefer. Probably wont get many takers to change clothes for a splash ride if you're not already going to the water park.

However, you may get more takers for people in bathing suits wanting to come over from the water park for a ride if it's moved closer to the water park. I have seen scantily-clad ladies in bikinis riding WWF when they weren't supposed to be out of the water park in just a bathing suit.

I always thought that WWF should have had access from the back of the station from the waterpark anyway.
By Wormy
With all the talk over Dinosaurs Alive and Rip Roarin' Rapids, I think it's high time to merge the two attractions. Remove the dinos from the current coveted plot and place them strategically along the rapids' course. Bring back THE CAVE and add a couple of hooting animatronic club-waving cavemen. Move the gift shop junk over, throw in some fake prehistoric foliage and you've got a totally new re-brand à la Jurassic Park The Ride. Name it R.I.P. Rad Reptiles! and you wouldn't even have to change the acronym. Hell, I'd even ride it once. (Swimwear optional).
By yawetag
Wormy wrote: (Swimwear optional).

Please don't tell me what the other option is.
By arby
:lol:

As others have mentioned, if they did anything to RRR, I would like to see a better station for loading/unloading.

I can't imagine that they would remove all of the water rides from a park in the south, but what do I know. We've already lost three since I've been here with nothing wet to replace them.
By fishels
Cameron wrote:Still searching. I think it's gonna be long shot to find anything showing the entire ride when it was good.

Appreciate it! It’s super fascinating to me that the ride was once different so if you ever even come across a picture please forward it :D

What year was this removed?
By coasterbruh
Lol lol That first link goes to show no one actually uses the "search" feature. Lazy Americans and their social media mentality . . . 8)
By phareous
fishels wrote:
Cameron wrote:Still searching. I think it's gonna be long shot to find anything showing the entire ride when it was good.

Appreciate it! It’s super fascinating to me that the ride was once different so if you ever even come across a picture please forward it :D

What year was this removed?

I don't remember exactly but I think it was around 1998 or 1999 after a piece of the ceiling fell in. I think it was done fairly quietly so you won't find much on the web. It used to have a big waterfall over the entrance of the tunnel, and waterfalls down the sides. There were also geysers (maybe still are?) on several of the straightaways. That stuff broke down or was turned off at various times due to the nasty water. Originally the ride have wavemakers and a whirlpool too but that stuff was turned off after boats kept flipping over. The original ride also had bluegrass music playing through hidden speakers throughout the ride.
By uscbandfan
I wouldn't be opposed to music throughout the ride as long as it wasn't on a short loop. People would get tired of hearing the same thing looping over and over. Anything to help with theming.