General Carowinds discussion
By uscbandfan
Well, they COULD close the South Gate and institute trams. However, if they were to do that, I'd like them to keep an "exit only" gate somewhere over there for those that park at the water park and venture into the dry park when the water park closes.
By Edwardo
Trams are expensive and require maintenance and need to be added into a maintenance budget.

They currently don’t have that expense and not enough people complain that they don’t have trams.
By Glitch99
Isnt the whole idea of trams generally used for off-site parking? you dont really see them for parking lots that are directly attached to the desitnation.
By Distopia
Coasterphreak wrote:
coasterbruh wrote:I wondered with the water park gate if that would happen but the water park does have limited hours and you wouldn't want regular park guest walking through it.

Let's be honest: the only reason they built the waterpark gate is to give themselves an opportunity to make it a separately ticketed attraction.

I am glad someone other than me caught on to that. I highly suspect they are waiting until most or all parks have separate waterpark gates so it can be a chain wide policy.

If each park’s respective waterpark is included in season passes only then it could drive more season pass sales.
By Glitch99
Edwardo wrote:Cedar Fair has actually integrated water parks that were separately gated attractions over the last few years. So no.

The free passage between parks makes it impossible to know. But do you know if they have any sense as to how many people (if any) buy a ticket for just the waterpark for the day?

I could see them designing the gates to keep that option open for the future, even if they currently have no intention of ever implementing it.
By sccoasterbear
Going back to the early days, Ocean Island required a separate ticket to enter. I have had the feeling for years it is headed back that way. I even see water park season pass becoming a thing as well.
By phareous
Glitch99 wrote:Isnt the whole idea of trams generally used for off-site parking? you dont really see them for parking lots that are directly attached to the desitnation.

Well Busch Gardens has trams and their parking lots are walkable, other than the overflow lots
By yawetag
phareous wrote:Well Busch Gardens has trams and their parking lots are walkable, other than the overflow lots

In Tampa, it's a half-mile walk from the tram station to the front gate, not including the walk from your car to the tram station. At Carowinds, this same location is at the peak of the 2nd hill of Intimidator. (the one that turns to the right).

If the parking lot remains as it is today when the South Gate is closed, I could definitely see them getting a tram to pick people up out there. I'd adjust that opinion depending on if the lot is reconfigured.
By phareous
yawetag wrote:
phareous wrote:Well Busch Gardens has trams and their parking lots are walkable, other than the overflow lots

In Tampa, it's a half-mile walk from the tram station to the front gate, not including the walk from your car to the tram station. At Carowinds, this same location is at the peak of the 2nd hill of Intimidator. (the one that turns to the right).

If the parking lot remains as it is today when the South Gate is closed, I could definitely see them getting a tram to pick people up out there. I'd adjust that opinion depending on if the lot is reconfigured.

I was thinking more of Williamsburg...which I think is probably less of a walk than Tampa. I really don't see what advantage they would have to closing the south gate though...it doesn't take up that much real estate (it is an eye sore though)
By dirkdiggler1992
Our two other southeast parks use trams and their lots are directly adjacent to the parks. Dollywood basically everyone rides since it is a pretty far walk for anyone not in handicap parking. SFoG good luck getting on the tram without waiting longer than necessary. Most people don’t seem to bother with SFoG trams as they only hold like 15 people and it’s a comparable walk for us at Carowinds to our parking spots.

I don’t think we need them at Carowinds, maybe it’s cause I always get a good parking spot since I never go until about 6 pm anyway cause I don’t want to fry. Even on times I parked near Intimidator turnaround it’s not the end of the world walking to the front gate. If packed lots like Cedar Point can go without them then so can we.
By yawetag
phareous wrote:I really don't see what advantage they would have to closing the south gate though...it doesn't take up that much real estate (it is an eye sore though)

Staffing. If you open it, you have to pay people to run it. There's other costs, too - metal detectors, possibly a guest relations booth for those with ticket problems.

I could see them flattening that section if they want to build an attraction over there that would make the gate unusable. No use having the buildings standing if you aren't going to use them.
By coasterbruh
Distopia wrote:
Coasterphreak wrote:
coasterbruh wrote:I wondered with the water park gate if that would happen but the water park does have limited hours and you wouldn't want regular park guest walking through it.

Let's be honest: the only reason they built the waterpark gate is to give themselves an opportunity to make it a separately ticketed attraction.

I am glad someone other than me caught on to that. I highly suspect they are waiting until most or all parks have separate waterpark gates so it can be a chain wide policy.

If each park’s respective waterpark is included in season passes only then it could drive more season pass sales.

Well, according to one member here (who has an MBA might I add :lol: :clap: :crazy: ) even not including SCarowinds is a bad business decision, imagine what not including the water park in the gold pass will do . . .

And as others have mentions, it's lots of parks that have trams with the parking area right next to the park. I think some of yall gotta get out and go to more park and see how they are operated . . .