General Carowinds discussion
[quote="jeffdavis"]1) Some of you nailed this with your findings. Great job on your research and teaser-deciphering! And I remember somebody here, was it you Tarheel?, wishing for a Blue Ridge Junction (return) a long time ago. Here it is.

Yes.... Credit goes to tarheel1231..... Nailed it.
As a coaster enthusiast, I'm so thankful I live so close Carowinds. The park has become a destination park. This coaster is a great addition and rounds out the coaster lineup perfectly. Hats off to the 5 year planing committee and the investment put into this park.

I really have my fingers crossed for two things...
#1 - a single rider line. ( only see a fastlane from the videos.. so my hopes are low )
#2 - Steam coming out from the moonshine still during the launch, much like thunderbird at holiday world.

Overall super excited.
Can we like talk about Copperhead Strike's logo? Cedar Fair must've hired new graphic designers because they have really stepped up their game with Yukon Striker and Copperhead Strike. Both of them have hidden meaning, somewhat, which I find really cool. Yukon Striker is obviously a bird, but its become integrated with the mountains in the background, which I find awesome. Copperhead Strike's is very obviously a copperhead, but its body is a coil of copper distillery pipes, which are used to make moonshine.
When I watched the live stream of the announcement and saw the POV with the hills on the second launch I was like "WHAT???!!!!" I was shocked in a good way. I think this looks super fun but I would not call it a family coaster. I know when I was young and afraid of big coasters I would definitely consider this a big coaster and wouldn't ride it. Anyway, I think the speed is perfect for the layout. It does get to 50mph on the second launch.

Does anyone know the cost? I wonder how reliable MACK'S are?
ThatCoasterNerd wrote:Can we like talk about Copperhead Strike's logo? Cedar Fair must've hired new graphic designers because they have really stepped up their game with Yukon Striker and Copperhead Strike. Both of them have hidden meaning, somewhat, which I find really cool. Yukon Striker is obviously a bird, but its become integrated with the mountains in the background, which I find awesome. Copperhead Strike's is very obviously a copperhead, but its body is a coil of copper distillery pipes, which are used to make moonshine.

The logo could very well be what Granny could have printed up and used as her own labels for HER brand of Moonshine.... CopperHead Strike Moonshine.....

I wonder if Carowinds will have a soft drink flavor there in that area named CopperHead Strike... sort of like "Mountain Dew" for Pepsi ?.... maybe a Lemon-Lime drink with a kick of Caffeine ? :think: :think: :think:
mark40511 wrote:When I watched the live stream of the announcement and saw the POV with the hills on the second launch I was like "WHAT???!!!!" I was shocked in a good way. I think this looks super fun but I would not call it a family coaster. I know when I was young and afraid of big coasters I would definitely consider this a big coaster and wouldn't ride it. Anyway, I think the speed is perfect for the layout. It does get to 50mph on the second launch.

Does anyone know the cost? I wonder how reliable MACK'S are?
I have heard Mack’s are on par with B&M with reliably.I could see ours rolling back early in the season
Justin wrote:Carowinds' major investment strategic plan ends in 2022, so we have a few more years.

Considering it was really supposed to end in 2016 how do we know it won’t just get extended again?
^ There is no tentative end date. Look to see more and more investments until it starts to plateau.

Ok, here are some tidbits of information . . .

-The talk (more less "you're getting a product") started in 2016, precisely around the time Carolina Harbor was finishing up.

-The stars aligned as Mack had an opening slot for a 2019 coaster and Cedar Fair secured it for Carowinds.

-As we have seen with the last several years of additions, Carowinds is rebranding itself and being more prideful of their Carolina heritage. As the coaster was being planned, the theming and the story was simultaneously coming together at the park. Carowinds is extremely fortunate that Cedar Fair allows them to have a big voice when it comes to how things are executed at the park. We got our first eye opener of that with the conversion of Boomerang Bay to Carolina Harbor. THe parks upper personnel really pushed for the uniqueness of we now know, and love, as Carolina Harbor.

-The park has found a proverbival gold mine with the introduction of the walk around "local" characters. Their presence became more prominent during the teasing campaign for the County Fair addition. We were first introduced to granny when she was going on and on about her prize winning jam. The park decided to expound on that by creating a fleshed out story about her actually making moonshine in a copperhead infested barn, thus naming her "secret" Copperhead Strike.

-The new area, Blue Ridge Junction, is a call back of a previous park area that is now the Carolina Boardwalk.

-The wings restaurant will get a complete gut job and when it returns, it will have decor similar to that of a Cracker Barrel.

-There will be a new path from the current Country Crossroads that will be a segway from that area to the new County Fair.

-The hotel is looking to be ready in the fall of 2019. The park had the option to go with a park branded hotel, like Knotts, but opted for a chain as a plus/plus for everyone. People visiting the are with Marriott rewards are more prone to stay there and the park will be able to fill more rooms in the off season.

-Now, the one thing that has been having us scratch our heads, the in-park teasers around the chain. It balls down to harmless fun amongst the parks. There is no deeper meaning to the teasers other than having fun. So NO, it is not part of some grand scheme or conspiracy theory lol.

-I was under the impression there was only 2 areas left that need attention but boy, was I wrong :wave: !

-2019 further drives home the notion that the layout of the park will be very different from years past.

-This one you guys are gonna love, there was some sacrifices made in order to get more trees by Fury 325 so expect to see more foliage over there.

-The park's focus now is to be as immersive as possible. You're gonna continue to see products accompanied by storylines and theming.

-As of right now, nothing is off the table at Carowinds (even ride removals . . .)

John Taylor is a national treasure when it comes to Carowinds. His passion for his job and dedication to make all things Carolina is definitely seen and appreciated. Combined that with the momentum of Pat Jone, who gets it DONE, you have one powerful team! As Lisa Stryker gets to know the community, especially carowinds connection 8) hopefully it garners more opportunities and chances for us all!

And one last thing, if those peanut butter and raspberry cookies are not offered in the park i'm gonna cry lol.
gabed wrote:
Justin wrote:Carowinds' major investment strategic plan ends in 2022, so we have a few more years.

Considering it was really supposed to end in 2016 how do we know it won’t just get extended again?

Strategic planning is perpetual. A 5 year plan 3 years ago is not the 5 year plan today; at the time it's developed, it indicates where you plan to be in 5 years. But as each year passes, they begin to think another year into the future. It ensures the ongoing development is comprehensive, and that you're not tearing out stuff you just built, or re-purchasing stuff you just trashed.

The day their strategic investment plan has an end date is the day Carowinds starts to become obsolete.
If Cedar Fair continues to see positive growth and a good ROI, they will feel confident enough to continue investing. If you are seeing good results in your investments, why not keep investing to get the most out of the park you can? We can probably expect the investments to continue for a while. Probably not as major as redoing a water park or completely redoing a kids area, but we can probably expect solid additions for years to come.

This is at least the way I look at it.
coasterbruh wrote:-There will be a new path from the current Country Crossroads that will be a segway from that area to the new County Fair.

Very interesting.

coasterbruh wrote:-I was under the impression there was only 2 areas left that need attention but boy, was I wrong :wave: !

-2019 further drives home the notion that the layout of the park will be very different from years past.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

coasterbruh wrote:-This one you guys are gonna love, there was some sacrifices made in order to get more trees by Fury 325 so expect to see more foliage over there.

Great news! Hopefully it starts to look more like the lush, green front gate we were promised in those Fury 325 animations.

coasterbruh wrote:-As of right now, nothing is off the table at Carowinds (even ride removals . . .)

*GASP* Well, the lake would be a better centerpiece without a certain hawk hovering over it IMO... Just don't touch Cyclone! Thunder Road got the axe in year 39, it's Cyclone's 39th anniversary next year... :shock:

coasterbruh wrote:John Taylor is a national treasure when it comes to Carowinds. His passion for his job and dedication to make all things Carolina is definitely seen and appreciated. Combined that with the momentum of Pat Jone, who gets it DONE, you have one powerful team! As Lisa Stryker gets to know the community, especially carowinds connection 8) hopefully it garners more opportunities and chances for us all!

And one last thing, if those peanut butter and raspberry cookies are not offered in the park i'm gonna cry lol.

1) The park has been blessed with great management over the last decade, really. But this trio seems like they've got that extra magic touch. Very excited to see where things go from here!

2) Well, those cookies better be offered next season now that you've got us all salivating over them. Seriously, they sound DELICIOUS.
coasterbruh wrote:-The park's focus now is to be as immersive as possible. You're gonna continue to see products accompanied by storylines and theming.

Yes yes YES! This isn't necessarily new information, but the fact that they're reiterating it makes me really excited for the future of the park. Carolina Harbor, County Fair, and Camp Snoopy are all extremely well-themed for a Cedar Fair park, so I'm glad that it's being made a focus.

Wood Coaster wrote:
jeffdavis wrote:1) Some of you nailed this with your findings. Great job on your research and teaser-deciphering! And I remember somebody here, was it you Tarheel?, wishing for a Blue Ridge Junction (return) a long time ago. Here it is.

Yes.... Credit goes to tarheel1231..... Nailed it.

I hate to be a humblebrag here but the idea is not mine. Users like redrunner97 and pproteinc had these ideas why before me, so I can't take credit for this.

I'm hoping the section of Crossroads that isn't themed to Blue Ridge Junction eventually turns into Lowcountry, but I don't know exactly what the area covers.
After sleeping on the Copperhead Strike announcement, I love it even more. It's almost exactly what I wanted. And it's exactly what Carowinds needed: a modern, thrilling ride for thrillseekers and families alike, two launches, compact design, engaging, dynamic theme.

Sure, it's not quite as fast as I think many of us anticipated. But it'll no doubt feel faster in action, especially on such a low, spaghetti-bowlish (if that's a word?) layout. The hangtime looks like it's going to upstage the speed anyway, and maybe that was the whole point all along? That's almost more exciting.

The extensive theme is beyond superb. I think the park struck a perfect balance with the moonshine theme. Kids will see jam, adults will see moonshine. Very smart! Hopefully they can deliver on everything we see in the animation concepts AND MORE! I particularly love the corn field alongside the queue. Could it double as a location for the return of Dark Harvest at Scarowinds in 2019? :twisted: Also, why not throw a pumpkin patch back that way too? Save money on pumpkins for Halloween and add to the Blue Ridge Junction theme too?

tarheel1231 wrote:]I'm hoping the section of Crossroads that isn't themed to Blue Ridge Junction eventually turns into Lowcountry, but I don't know exactly what the area covers.

You finally got me on board with Palmetto Pier... now you want Lowcountry, huh? :roll: lol