General Carowinds discussion

Mountain Gliders
A Carowinds favorite returns in 2019! Guests of all ages will have a blast soaring like a bird over Blue Ridge Junction on Mountain Gliders. After boarding one of the unique carriages, you’ll start spinning at a high speed, so much so that you’ll spin outward and rise to 28 feet above the ground. Once in the air, guests will have the ability to operate their carriage’s controls and command the glider’s flight. Whether you explore the high altitudes as if flying above the Blue Ridge Mountains or cruise at a lower elevation in the valleys, the choice – and experience, mild or wild – is up to you.

Originally built in 1935 for Coney Island Amusement Park, the ride moved to Kings Island in 1972. The Phantom Flyers opened at Carowinds in 2005. A Woodstock theme took over in 2010. The gliders were removed last season to make way for Camp Snoopy.
uscbandfan wrote:AWESOME!! They may have gone a TOUCH too far up but I'm not complaining. We can now see the back half of the construction MUCH better now.
I tell ya what, we say jump and they say how high! Just picking but it does make me wonder if someone there is checking this site periodically.
I’m really glad to see that they named it something other than “Flying Eagles”, and the rockwork/water around the ride is a nice touch. Between this and the other flat rides in County Fair, it’s going to be really difficult to leave this section of the park.
phareous wrote:I enjoyed watching those get built but something seems different with this one... I think maybe because the camera is so blurry, zoomed out so far, and the coaster is so low to the ground

It's the camera for me. It is better before noon, but is useless the rest of the day . I imagine the afternoon sun blurs it out. Then again, we did not have this issue with the waterpark and county fair, when the camera was pointed in the same general direction. Time for a new camera.
One of the Highlights from today is they said that Copperhead Strike will be running for Winterfest 2019. Steve Jackson said they asked for a coaster that could run in cooler weather. I am working on a video from today. I will post a link when it's finished.
tarheel1231 wrote:It looks like they’re done for the day. The pace seems a bit slow compared to two weeks ago.

They did not put any track up while we were there today. Steve said the loop will be done today or tomorrow, or that is the plan. Construction is scheduled to be completed by mid Dec, but they are hoping to be done as soon as the last week of November, depending on the footers. Testing starts in January.
Also keep in mind, they were waiting on more pieces to arrive, which is why they haven't finished the loop yet. its now on site and ready. They are working on other areas, the launch building, the station, and the storage shed. The weather last week put the behind just a little and they are working on catching up as well.

A few other notes:

Blue Ridge Junction does NOT include dodgems etc. it will remain Crossroads
    Windseeker will be closed the rest of the season
    Intimidator will NOT be re-themed, the contract was renewed

Video can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OCE6KDvaG0&t=2s