General Carowinds discussion
By coasterbruh
No silly . . . it hasn't been confirm I just want to have a little fun here! Lets say the park commissioned you to be in charge of it. Tell us your vision for it.

- What would your operation schedule be?

- What would your pricing scale be?

- What attractions will you bring in for it?

-What attractions would you have open?

- What areas of the park will you use?

- What type of entertainment will you have?

- How would you theme the park/areas

Basically, how would you sell your idea of winterfest to the park and guest!
Last edited by coasterbruh on December 16th, 2018, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tarheel1231

12:00 PM - 10:00 PM

I don't know. :(

I'm thinking using the side of the park that's not open for horse-pulled carriage rides (which would most likely be Carolina Harbor), a petting zoo in the County Fair, and a Christmas version of Starlight Spectacular with lights that flash to music.

As far as attractions that would definitely be open, everything in Planet Snoopy (the coasters might be depending on the temperature), Carolina Goldrusher, Windseeker (sounds like a bad idea but just picture seeing the park light up beneath you.... I tear up a bit at the though of it), most of the major flat rides, maybe Afterburn. Fury and Intimidator would be weather dependant. Do they have a high valley-risk? If they're not open, they'd definitely have their lights on. Fury and Intimidator's lightning packages happen to be the colors of Christmas.

Probably the entire dry park. I would save the water park for carriage rides because you wouldn't have to worry about foot traffic. The areas with the most activity would be Planet Snoopy, County Fair, and showplace.

I think a parade would be great during the day time but I just don't think the park has enough space in the walkways. Maybe there would be a parade in the morning in the parking lot before the park opened. Inside the park, there would be a Santa meet and greet in Carolina Harbor (more on that later), A Christmas Story play in the showplace theater (a Carolina based storyline to keep it from being a blatant copy), a Charlie Brown Christmas play in the Peanuts Showplace, Snoopy's Starlight spectacular, slightly buzzed midgets pretending to be elves, and all of the ride ops would have to wear Santa hats.

- How would you theme the park/areas?

Planet Snoopy's theme pretty much writes itself. I guess I would hang lights and garland everywhere. At the back of Carolina Harbor, I would set up a North Pole village that you can get to by the horse carriage. Harbor House would be Santa's workshop with a meet and greet at the back of the restaurant. Bondi Beach would be an Ice skating rink

And I'd name the event "Carolwinds!". I also don't know why CGA fans haven't thought of Great A-Merry-Ca.
By RollerBee
12 nights, Roughly December 18-31 with the 25th off.
$10 for all Season Pass Holders, $25 for regular admission.
I would turn the river into an ice rink like Carowinds showed in their concept art for 2005. I would also relocate the Skytower Christmas Tree to Windseeker so that the Skytower can operate. All buildings in the operating sections of the park would be decorated and lite for the event. I would attempt to bring carriage rides into a section of the park that is not open to foot traffic.
Skytower, Scrambler, Boo Blasters, Harmony Hall, Peanuts Pirates, Crabbie Cabbie, Goldrusher, Chopper Chase, Snoopy's Junction, Ripcord, all the kiddy rides, Carousel, Balloons and Flyers.
Planet Snoopy, Carolina Boardwalk, Showplace, and Carowinds Plaza
Peanuts themed show, Holidays themed show and meet Santa
All holidays instead of focusing only on Christmas.
By chknwing
the ice rink was a good idea but the one they had previously was so small. Also I think setting up one of those light/sound shows like they have on some houses would be something different.
By Littlegiles
coasterbruh wrote:No silly . . . it hasn't been confirm I just want to have a little fun here! Lets say the park commissioned you to be in charge of it. Tell us your vision for it.

So Jarvis, what would you like to see and do? I have to think about my idea a bit more.
By arby
Good topic, Jarvis.

If I were in charge of Winterfest....

It would be open from the last week of November through the end of the year, 11 AM - 9 PM except for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

It would be part of the normal operating season so pricing would be the same. Season pass holders would be free and regular admission would apply. Of course, season pass pricing would increase to offset the extended season. [If SCarowinds would move to an upcharge admission for all, then I would move this to an upcharge admission. Otherwise it is hard to justify an upcharge for this]

The entire park (except water park) would be open as temperatures allowed at reduced capacity (one train from each of the coasters would be removed after SCarowinds one at a time to be rebuilt, then rotated back in until all are rebuilt).

Bring in an ice skating rink, carriage rides, Christmas shows, live nativity with petting zoo, Santa, Santa's workshop, a snow maker, and something fun park-wide with elves - an elf-quest type interactive game.

The park would be entirely themed to Christmas. Harmony Hall would have a Christmas Feast. A couple of gourmet Hot Chocolate stands would be setup around the park. There would be a winter beer selection.

"Ring in the Christmas season with holiday fun for the entire family. Enjoy our spectacular shows, meet Santa, partake in a Christmas feast, enjoy your favorite rides (weather permitting) and much more. It is an event that your family will be talking about all year - Carolwinds!"

Now the bad news... the park really needs more flats to pull something like this off.
By coasterbruh
Littlegiles wrote:So Jarvis, what would you like to see and do? I have to think about my idea a bit more.

-What would your operation schedule be?
Like most events, I would start the Friday after thanksgiving and run a fri-sun schedule until the week before Christmas when I’ll start daily operations until Jan 2nd.

I would have a ‘fire sale” during the weeks heading into the first night. Then the tickets would be 25.00 per person. After that, regular price would be 35.00 with a “season pass option of 50.00.

Ice skating of course! There will also be a “snow” area for the kids with “ice slides”. I would opt for a live penguin experience. There will be a s’mores and wiener roasting station. I would also have a crafting area where kids can create ornaments as well as other things like learn about holiday celebrations around the world. Kinda like a “holiday house”. And you know there will be a Santa meet and greet.

I would aim for most of planet snoopy since the aim is to bring families in the park. As far as coasters that will be open; Intimidator, Fury 325, Goldrusher and Ricochet. Rides that will be open (aside from planet snoopy) sky tower, drop zone, kaleidoscope, bumper cars, yo-yo and boo hill.

Im debating on this. My initial idea is the entire park minus the water park. The reason I say this is because carowinds isn’t that large of a park (walking wise) so it wouldn’t be a hassle to have the fill loop available.

In harmony hall I would do a show like a “Christmas Carol” or some type of show similar to it. In the thrill zone area, I will have a 50’s style singing Christmas show to fit the theme in the area. Of course a high production in the theater but I’m not sure what. In planet snoopy, a small version of the merry Christmas Charlie brown production in their little theater. Lastly, a roaming Christmas band and carolers.

- How would you theme the park/areas?
The entry plaza into the park would be themed to the north pole. There you will find all things uber christmas-y and the actual north pole (the sky tower). You will have your chance to meet and greet with santa in the area and some penguins. Lets not forget a slight re-theme of Initmidator to “Rudolph 500” lol (if allowed)Planet Snoopy will be themed to “A Peanuts Christmas”. In this area you will find the for mention snow area for kids and the ice slides as well as the wiener and s’mores stations. I would transform thrill zone into a high energy 50’s Christmas area. There you can find the “Rockin Christmas” show. The area in front of vortex will be full of angels and white lights and a pretty extensive nativity scene.

Carolina Boardwalk will be themed to a beach theme Christmas (think the Carolina harbor float but on a grander scale). Take a ride on the Christmas themed Goldrusher or see what if you have what it takes to be one of Santa’s reindeer on a renamed ricochet. You’d even get a chance to meet “Sandy” Claus! The Carolina RFD area will transform into a “Christmas around the World area with lots of light sculpture’s and lit signs with educational info about different versions of Christmas around the world. I would retrofit Wings into a “holiday house” craft area and I would put those food booths to use and feature holiday food from around the world. I would “holiday” up boo blasters as well to get it on the same level of the haunted mansion holiday . . . ok, that will never happen lol.

I would convert the county fair into a “Christmas Carnival” area with strung lights everywhere and games! I would give the bumper cars a light package and have it playing the modern, hip hop style Christmas music.

-Basically, how would you sell your idea of winterfest to the park and guest!
There will be PLENTY for FAMILIES to do. It will be very affordable and it wouldn’t be just walking around looking at lights like it was some years ago.
By uscbandfan
I like that Coasterbruh. I'd go. But, you do know penguins are near the South Pole, right? Then again, the kids would probably prefer penguins to polar bears. Unless they're the Coca-Cola bears. Wait, does Carowinds have a contract with Coke or Pepsi? I digress....
By tarheel1231
uscbandfan wrote:I like that Coasterbruh. I'd go. But, you do know penguins are near the South Pole, right? Then again, the kids would probably prefer penguins to polar bears. Unless they're the Coca-Cola bears. Wait, does Carowinds have a contract with Coke or Pepsi? I digress....

Coke, I believe.
By coasterbruh
uscbandfan wrote:I like that Coasterbruh. I'd go. But, you do know penguins are near the South Pole, right? ....

Well, carowinds is where the north and south come together lol lol :clap: :thumbup:
By Littlegiles
What would your operation schedule be?
Kickoff would be the Friday after Thanksgiving with Friday-Sunday operation (5pm - 10pm) until the week of Christmas when it would run nightly. Big finale would would be a New Year's Eve celebration with Fireworks and that would be the last night of operation.

What would your pricing scale be?
Included in Season Pass, $30 at gate or a "Holiday Adventure Pass" for $55

What attractions will you bring in for it?
Ice Skating (would be awesome if it could be made to look like a natural pond with lit trees around it and snow banks), Petting zoo with Reindeer, Snow Machines, Roasted Nut vendors, Specialty Funnel cakes (egg nog, chocolate, sugar cookie), hot chocolate stands.

What attractions would you have open?
Planet Snoopy, Sky Tower (relocate giant tree to Windseeker), Intimidator, Fury, Ricochet, Goldrusher and all flats. coasters would all be weather permitting.

What areas of the park will you use?
Utilize most of the park except Carolina Harbor. I would also block off the area around Afterburn (close path right before Dinosaurs and also the path by Southern Star that leads up the hill) and the path under Nighthawk. I would utilize a more circular path and eliminate a lot of the side paths.

What type of entertainment will you have?
A "Winter" song & Dance show in the Carowinds Theater similar to the Judy Garland/Perry Como type shows from years past, Strolling singers, more characters/actors walking around interacting with guests. An ice skater stunt/performance show in a separate skating area so skaters won't have to empty the rink for the show.

How would you theme the park/areas
Carowinds Plaza is the first impression so it needs to be grand. HUGE tree in the center of the plaza with Poinsettias in the planters after you enter through the gates. Every existing tree should have lights on them and every building should be outlined. It should feel extravagant and make people want to stop and take photos. The Plaza Stage should be set up with a huge facade and backdrop to provide a meet & greet area for Santa.

Harmony Hall will be decked out in grand swags of evergreen garland and colonial-style decor of dried fruit and nuts. Candles in the windows and holiday decor on the pub tables in the bar area. Give it an old tavern feel. There will be a show in there that features a Colonial band and singers (think Historic Williamsburg)

Planet Snoopy will be a classic winter wonderland where kids will be dazzled by lights and sounds. Strolling elves and Peanuts characters would be frequent.

Country Fair would not receive much more than a holiday light package. With the games and flat rides in there now, it will be a festive atmosphere.

Carolina RFD would be full of lights and oversized ornaments and packages. Almost like you have been shrunk down. Between the restrooms and Cobra might be a good place for the ice rink as that is such a large, fairly flat space.

Carolina Boardwalk would be a Seaside Winter Wonderland with coastal decor (think beach). There would be a store for making your own candles and another for making keepsake ornaments.

Showplace and Thrill Zone would be decorated 50's style with large multi-colored lights and mid-century styling to match the current theme of those areas. Characters in classic clothing.

Make this big, family-friendly event focusing on food and lighthearted fun. Almost the exact opposite of Scarowinds. Less thrill and more joy.
By Jonathan
While announcing Winterfest for Great America it seems Cedar Fair also stated that more parks would be considered for 2017. Hopefully that is when Carowinds will see it return.
By coasterbruh
Heres to hoping they decide to do it at Carowinds this year :thumbup: :wave: instead of waiting. Im kinda Leary on the event being "free" but I guess with limited amounts of rides being open that would offset it being included with a season pass.
By coasterbruh
tarheel1231 wrote:I hope our event isn't called Winterfest. Carolwinds forever!

uhhh . . .