General Carowinds discussion
By jeffdavis
Winterfest opens this Sunday. I think I might go opening night. Is there any "event" at opening? Obviously nothing on the scale of the opening ceremony of Scarowinds each night, but does anything happen that I should try to get my group to the park before 4:00 for?
By RollerBee
CoasterAddict11 wrote:The Winterfest Passholder Preview night has been cancelled due to anticipated rainfall.

Well how them, don’t think of all the season pass holders that live over an hour away and have already started their way towards the park. I mean really couldn’t they have decided this earlier in the day.

And I bet it won’t even rain. :sarcasm:

I didn’t renew my season pass for 2019 or 2020 so I don’t care.
By yawetag
RollerBee wrote:
CoasterAddict11 wrote:The Winterfest Passholder Preview night has been cancelled due to anticipated rainfall.

Well how them, don’t think of all the season pass holders that live over an hour away and have already started their way towards the park. I mean really couldn’t they have decided this earlier in the day.

And I bet it won’t even rain. :sarcasm:

Don't know how much of this was sarcasm, but this was posted 24 hours in advance.
By jlc9701
Again, appears to be more bait and switch.
By jlc9701
Exclusive season passholder event vs come on regular day, but a little early. Those promises were made in advance to entice you into purchasing a pass.
By yawetag
jlc9701 wrote:Exclusive season passholder event vs come on regular day, but a little early. Those promises were made in advance to entice you into purchasing a pass.

One, that's not bait-and-switch.

Two, they didn't even announce the passholder day until a few days before. I can't find the original way I learned about it, but I don't remember any "IT'S SEASON PASS NIGHT!!! GET YOUR PASS NOW AND ENJOY THIS EXCLUSIVE EVENT!!!" marketing. Plus, they canceled the night almost 24 hours before it began, knowing the rain would drown out anything going on.

Three, all of their passes and tickets make it well-known that events can be modified or canceled. The fact it was due to weather only makes it easier to understand. And, since it was pouring rain exactly when the park would have been opened, seems like a great call on their part.
By Glitch99
"bait and switch" is one of the more grossly misused terms these days; it's been reduced to more of a generic buzzword than anything substantive.

Criticize them not following their announced hours if you want. That's merely a poor (if you agree) management decision, not intentional fraud as indicated by the use of "bait and switch".

I think it's a poor business practice to not follow the promoted hours. I also think severe weather is beyond their control, forcing modifications to what is scheduled. Regardless, it's just my opinion; they aren't doing anything illegal or shady (as "bait and switch" implies), even if I consider it to be a mistake.