General Carowinds discussion
By gabed
I feel like rattle is a bit of an exaggeration. Hurler rattles, Fury vibrates. Not denying that the ride isn't butter smooth. Although, some of the best rides I've ever had on it were during this summer.
We rode tonight after the park closed. The train was pretty much empty. It was butter smooth. But again, it was mostly an empty train. Yet it was still going pretty fast. So now I'm just confused XD. Simple answer that I'm gonna stick with.... it's just how the physics work :mrgreen:
By arby
Yeah, I've felt the vibration as well, although it seems more pronounced depending on which train/seat you are one.

With that being said, it has always been to such a small degree that it hasn't taken away from my ride experience at all.

I have felt it occasionally on Intimidator but once again, it hasn't ruined the ride experience. I think it depends more on what wheels are on the trains, the temperature, etc. Certainly not enough to cause any issues for me or prevent me from riding. I've been on other steel coasters that are MUCH worse.
By fishels
gabed wrote:I feel like rattle is a bit of an exaggeration. Hurler rattles, Fury vibrates. Not denying that the ride isn't butter smooth. Although, some of the best rides I've ever had on it were during this summer.

You're right it's definitely more a vibration sensation. But IMO it's not any more pleasant. Has this always been the case with the ride? 2017 was the first year I felt it but I been riding since opening year with barely any issues.

I'll be sure to report back on my next ride. Only had 2 this season, as the ride has made me pretty sore. I'll force myself to go a couple times.
By fishels
arby wrote:Yeah, I've felt the vibration as well, although it seems more pronounced depending on which train/seat you are one.

With that being said, it has always been to such a small degree that it hasn't taken away from my ride experience at all.

I have felt it occasionally on Intimidator but once again, it hasn't ruined the ride experience. I think it depends more on what wheels are on the trains, the temperature, etc. Certainly not enough to cause any issues for me or prevent me from riding. I've been on other steel coasters that are MUCH worse.

When you say temperatures... can a hot day make it worse? Because it was blistering both times I went this year.
Yes, the rattle, vibration, (whatever you want to call it) has pretty much been there since the debut.

However, it is does vary in intensity from seat to seat and maybe even ride to ride. I have not really felt it when I've ridden front row. But the right-hand side about half-way back causes my neck to hurt and for me to have a very bad headache after the ride. I'd love to ride it back-to-back-to-back for hours but the most rides I have been able to do (so far) without needing recovery time from the vibration headache is 3.

(Granted it's not HURLER-BAD. They can tear that one down in my opinion or go ahead and convert it. Please build a new woodie!!!!)

Maybe it's air buffeting? Maybe it's worn wheels? a bad hub? I don't know but with today's technology, it should be butter-smooth in every seat on the train.

To Carowinds...... FIX IT!!!!!
I don't understand why everyone is complaining about something that doesn't even affect the ride :think: It's just a vibration that cannot be fixed. Just build a bridge (or two in this case) and get over it. well, and under it.
ABSOLUTELY Tarheel!!!! Come to Carowinds... ride Fury... Bring Advil!!!

Do we know it can't be fixed? I haven't seen any Carowinds' engineer's take on the fix-ability. Or, for that matter, an engineer's take on what exactly is causing it. Or Carowinds even acknowledging it's existence.

It could be that Carowinds simply thinks it's minor enough to just not address it (or too expensive to worry about fixing it). Personally, I think it's major enough TO address it.... because it limits my enjoyment of the ride. (and obviously others as well.)

Until then, I'll continue to just ride it just one or twice every time I visit unless I'm lucky enough to get a front or back seat and end up not feeling it on a particular run.

on a side note... something vibrating over and over again at that speed and intensity can't be helping the long term reliability.
By Chris
FamousAmos wrote:I don't understand why everyone is complaining about something that doesn't even affect the ride :think: It's just a vibration that cannot be fixed. Just build a bridge (or two in this case) and get over it. well, and under it.

:eh: What? My best friend Matt is good for about two rides on Fury before he is done for the day. Not just done on Fury. Done on all rides.
I have felt the rattle or it's more like a vibration and I feel it more on row three in my own personal experience having Ridden fury over 160 times and I'm in my late 50s . I tend to agree with a few post about the speed and perhaps full trains and temperature and maybe having a little to do with it but i've never gotten off that ride with a headache or feeling dizzy or anything hurting , regardless I think it's still an amazing coaster.
Regardless, there is still not much you can do to fix it. Unless you want the park to buy brand new trains every year...

EDIT
I do think that (after hundreds of times riding and watching the trains myself) I think that the issue does lie within the trains themselves. Now as for what the issue is specifically I'm not sure. I think that it may be where the wheel trucks connect to the car chassis. To me that seems like where the issue lies. I'm no coaster designer, but this seems like a reasonable explanation.
By Edwardo
"Regardless, there is still not much you can do to fix it. Unless you want the park to buy brand new trains every year..."

Is that your professional opinion?

Just asking, but how many B&Ms have you ridden?