General Carowinds discussion
By redrunner97
I'd like to chime in on the flying coaster vs wing coaster vs dive coaster debate.

Personally, I would LOVE for a B&M flying coaster to replace Nighthawk and/or Vortex. It would make for a cool centerpiece to the park, if they could get the world's first launched B&M flying coaster, that would be even more awesome and unique IMO.

Regardless of what comes to that spot (because I do believe Nighthawk's days are numbered), I would hope it's not a dive coaster. I get that they're kinda trendy (especially for Cedar Fair) right now, but they're getting to be so common. I would much prefer something that would continue the trend of putting Carowinds on the map. Maybe a dive could do that to an extent, but I think something more unique would work better.
By tarheel1231
redrunner97 wrote:Regardless of what comes to that spot (because I do believe Nighthawk's days are numbered), I would hope it's not a dive coaster. I get that they're kinda trendy (especially for Cedar Fair) right now, but they're getting to be so common. I would much prefer something that would continue the trend of putting Carowinds on the map. Maybe a dive could do that to an extent, but I think something more unique would work better.

In that vein, I’d love to see the park go back to Mack for one of those Big Dipper dive coasters for when Nighthawk leaves: It’d be lower capacity than the B&M’s, but I think they could add an additional row to the trains to get the capacity on the same level as Copperhead Strike.
By Crave
In that vein, I’d love to see the park go back to Mack for one of those Big Dipper dive coasters for when Nighthawk leaves: It’d be lower capacity than the B&M’s, but I think they could add an additional row to the trains to get the capacity on the same level as Copperhead Strike.

That's a great choice and one of the coasters I'd love in our park; however, the only existing Big Dipper model, Lost Gravity, fits into roughly the same space as Flying Cobras, another low cap ride, and a much better replacement for the Geauga Lake refugee. A larger, higher profile, higher capacity ride could be placed in the Night Hawk area as a centerpiece, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a B&M dive, wing or flyer. Gerstlauer Infinity or RMC T-rex would be very unique possibilities. Obviously, the aforementioned B&Ms are crowd-pleasers that would interact well with the surrounding water. Personally, replacing a flyer with a better flyer is least likely and least compelling of the ideas.
By Cameron
I agree that Nighthawks day are numbered but I also don't see it going anywhere for possibly 10 years. They just came into a ton of spare parts to keep it going.
By Grobble
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:Had no idea 10+ more years of a ride meant its “days are numbered”.

Nighthawk "days are numbered" in terms when it starts breaking down a lot like Firehawk, it's gone. Vekoma is not making Dutchman anymore and the parts are hard to come by. Firehawk was built in 2001, Knighthawk in 2003, so the serviceable life may not be far off. Say, it makes 20 years, a bit longer than Firehawk, that would be 2023 and the park would likely be ready for a new coaster by that time.
By cwgator
Actually....Nighthawk is the oldest of the 3 FDs. It opened first at CGA as Stealth in 2000...so yeah...it's 18 years old.
By sccoasterbear
uscbandfan wrote:Just a baby. Cyclone will be 39 if it makes it to opening day 2019.

Wonder if we might see a coaster like Railblazer someday replace cyclone. Seems like footprint might be comparable.

Not sure about that but just a thought.
By RollerBee
uscbandfan wrote:Just a baby. Cyclone will be 39 if it makes it to opening day 2019.

And 40 if it makes it to 2020.....
I don’t believe Carolina Boardwalk has been touched since 2002....
Ride wise....
Cyclone was lucky to survive the Soundwave that was canceled for 2007. Maybe it won’t be so lucky in the future....
By tarheel1231
Cyclone still has fairly good ridership (#5 in the park) and S&S still makes parts for old arrows. I don’t see why it would be on its way out.
By coasterbruh
If you can get something that cost less to operate and will boost your park attendance at the same time would you keep cyclone?
By RollerBee
coasterbruh wrote:If you can get something that cost less to operate and will boost your park attendance at the same time would you keep cyclone?

Nope.