General Carowinds discussion
By Jay
^Exactly.

Any type of Top Thrill Dragster thing is a bad idea for 2 reasons.

1) It's not a good ride. The ride is over in a blink of an eye. I found it and KK for that matter to be forgettable at best. I pretty much only rode them for the credit (and the fact the lines are so long.) Storm Runner, Kanonen, and Speed Monster are all Intamin launchers with cool, interesting, and unique layouts. And having ridden all 3 they are all fantastic.

2) It's not a good investment. 25+ million dollars just to build it, and how much more to get it going, keep it going, and deal with the constant downtime issues. Sure it will be highly marketable, but if guests come and its down, that is a lot of negative publicity.

I will admit they are quite pretty to look at though. 25 Million is quite a lot for an artistic sculpture/paperweight though. :?
By Picklesthedrummer
I mean yeah I dont think it is likely, but remember this is a wishlist. Now for what I actually think will be Carowinds' next coaster would be a B&M Wingrider. That would make a fine addition to this park.
By chunkyskunk
In total agreement on recent comments about TTD and KK. No thank you. I still think the best Intamin launcher on my wish list would be a Mega Mid. A Powder Keg style launch over a large hill then into a layout similar to a combo between a Mega Lite and an I-305. Really do not care whether it has inversions are not. Would rather not have the OTS restraints. On a similar but different note, I would be happy with a blue fire like Mack launcher also if we do have inversions. Some great comments on that one on the RCDB FB page a while back. Regardless, I think that most of us agree that a blue fire, iSpeed, Storm Runner, Rita, Speed Monster, etc style coaster is the best way to go if it is a launcher.
By drpeppuh93
yes i have ridden TTD. and I would love to have one at carowinds. The acceleration of the launch literally bent my dad's sunglasses around his face. He had to bend them back out when we got off. That to me is something I'd love to not have to drive 12 hours to experience that launch again. It's one of my favorite coasters, second only to MF.
I understand that some people may not like it and KK b/c of it being so short and breaking down a lot. Sure I'd rather not have a coaster that breaks down every day, but I could care less about the fact that it's only a 17 sec ride. Thats the point. It's purely about the speed and height, which to the GP is mind boggling. I loved TTD when I got to ride it this summer, and I plan to make the 12 hour drive back up there as soon as I can to ride it over and over again.
But thats just my opinion. If you don't like it then thats yours. And I will admit that something this big won't be coming to carowinds anytime soon. I just want something launched period.
By Picklesthedrummer
Anyone know how well Formula Rossa does break down wise? I ask that because it is Intamin's most recent hydraulic launcher and possibly they have fixed a few problems that their earlier models had.
By coasterbruh
drpeppuh93 wrote:yes i have ridden TTD. and I would love to have one at carowinds. The acceleration of the launch literally bent my dad's sunglasses around his face. He had to bend them back out when we got off...

Why is your dad wearing any type of glasses on a ride like that? I would have hate to be the person behind him on that train when those bending sunglasses decided to just break...
By drpeppuh93
the ride operators said you could wear them as long as you had them attached to croakies around your neck. It was his decision. I totally agree with you though. I took mine off every time. Thankfully I'm not completely blind so I can still enjoy the ride.
By Carowindsiscool
I agree, Maverick was such an action-packed coaster. I like how it never really let up in intensity, especially with that second launch. I would like to see Carowinds get an launched coaster like that, but have it well themed. Carowinds is really lacking in the theming, which I think adds a lot to the ride experience.
By Picklesthedrummer
I know how everyone says how good the Universal one is, but I would never do it because of how crowded it has to be.
By will1313
we went on a thurday night last year and the lines were ok..... but its freaking amaizing and proably the best halloween themepark ever