General Carowinds discussion
Keith wrote:
carowindsman6654 wrote:Keith, are you saying the website isn't real or are you saying that the page is just under construction from Cedar Fair still and there is nothing to look into yet?

Well, I guess that was confusing. Sorry. :/ Hmmm... I really don't know how to explain this.

I just think that they're setting up the subdomain for future purposes. The clues *seem* to point in the direction that White Lightning will be the name. That, I don't argue with. What I think is a bit ridiculous is that it seems that some people are overthinking this simple page as "another clue" or some jazz like that.

I'm not sure if my meaning is still coming through. Ha! Gimme some time, I'll have a better answer for you. ;)

Oh, ok. I got what you're saying now. :) Oh and Wormy, what is your address? I need to send you gas money or something. :D
Thanks for the video post Wormy. I will never be more upset with them if it is a stupid nascar theme. Ill be the guy in the park saying lets go ride the hyper to my party and not whatever they name it. Anyone else think that may be why they are leaving some of the pavement alone?
hhrocker12 wrote:Why are so many of yal against a NASCAR theme?

Because it's a failing industry and most people including myself don't like it. I have never understood to this day how people get excited over cars going in a circle over and over again. :? It's boring in my opinion. That said, I will support this coaster no matter what the theming is. They could theme it to the pink pony with Miley Cyrus music playing for all I care.
Last edited by carowindsman6654 on August 2nd, 2009, 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
By MarkD
ThrillSeeker wrote:Thanks for the video post Wormy. I will never be more upset with them if it is a stupid nascar theme. Ill be the guy in the park saying lets go ride the hyper to my party and not whatever they name it. Anyone else think that may be why they are leaving some of the pavement alone?

You know what? They could call it Betty Boop's Hills of Thrills and theme it if they want and I will still ride it and enjoy every second.

Never be more upset?????? :evil: I guess the past 5-6 years you have been pretty happy.
By Davidtmp
NASCAR is a failing industry?? LOL You young guys don't know much. Yes, sponsors have pulled back, and the crowds aren't as large as they were, but it is due to the economy. Yes Detroit is failing and GM has pulled back, but can you really pump in money to a sport that really a lot of people don't like while going thru bankruptcy? NASCAR is facing the same pull back the rest of the country is facing. It goes hand in hand. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a failing sport. The Charlotte Bobcats on the other hand may just be if they don't win, and win big now.
NASCAR has shot themselves in the foot with this car of tomorrow. The racing sucks. I say do away with restrictor plates and let them go as fast as they want. If they want to push the envelope, let them do it. If they can't handle the speed, they will either slow down or wreck, that simple. Improve the fencing around the track to protect the fans, you already have the safer barriers in place that would have saved Dale Earnhardt had they been around.(one of the best safety designs they have come up with) By the way, I don't care to sit there and watch it on TV, but if you had a chance to go and see it live, you would feel different.
Davidtmp wrote:NASCAR is a failing industry?? LOL You young guys don't know much. Yes, sponsors have pulled back, and the crowds aren't as large as they were, but it is due to the economy. Yes Detroit is failing and GM has pulled back, but can you really pump in money to a sport that really a lot of people don't like while going thru bankruptcy? NASCAR is facing the same pull back the rest of the country is facing. It goes hand in hand. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a failing sport. The Charlotte Bobcats on the other hand may just be if they don't win, and win big now.
NASCAR has shot themselves in the foot with this car of tomorrow. The racing sucks. I say do away with restrictor plates and let them go as fast as they want. If they want to push the envelope, let them do it. If they can't handle the speed, they will either slow down or wreck, that simple. Improve the fencing around the track to protect the fans, you already have the safer barriers in place that would have saved Dale Earnhardt had they been around.(one of the best safety designs they have come up with) By the way, I don't care to sit there and watch it on TV, but if you had a chance to go and see it live, you would feel different.

It's no big secret that NASCAR is losing it's mass appeal. I'm not speaking strictly in attendance either. Television viewership has been on a steady (albeit slow) decline since 2005. The constant sponsorship changing doesn't help either, now we have Lowe's giving up the Motor Speedway. Dale Jr. is all over everything, everywhere, all the time and it's just annoying. Then you throw in new cars that nearly equalize performance? The drivers don't get aggressive anymore, either. I was just at the Coca Cola 600. I know it was raining and all, but...

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope it's not a NASCAR theme. Okay, I veered off topic didn't I? Uh... cool crate. :lol:
By drpeppa93
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: nice pice!

hmiem81 wrote:Are we getting two coasters in the newly cleared area (one being our new hyper and the other being XLC?

there is definately not enough room for two coasters on that plot of land. at least two coasters the size of a hyper and XLC.

I still go with just a plain racing theme, not nascar. But who knows... (Dani knows thats who :roll: )
But does anyone think that a nascar theme might be a turn off for some of the general public, considering a whole lot of people don't like it? Of course, some people don't even pay attention to what the name/theme is. They just see the massive twisting steel in front of them and either get in line or run for their mommy's.
I personally don't give a crap what it is themed after. Nascar, Moonshine, The Three Stooges, Hello Kitty, Entourage etc. At least we are getting a coaster and thats all I care about. Whether Nascar is a triving industry or a failing industry, I don't know. However that would be an interesting concept and a boost for the industry. A generic racing theme? That would good be also.

Now if it highly themed, which I doubt, then that's sprinkles on the coaster sundae.
By KenB
Oh noes! They've moving Afterburn to Canada!

http://www.canadaswonderland.com/attractions/detail.cfm?ai_id=3

As was explained above somewhere, if you put the "id=" for a ride at any former Paramount park at the end of the URL of any of the other PP sites, it'll show that ride's description, seemingly at that park's site.

And while NASCAR is declining, it's still huge, especially in this area. It will most likely rebound some after the economy picks up. Like I said earlier, though, I don't think it's going to be NASCAR themed, but racing themed. I can't really see any benefit to a direct NASCAR tie-in over a generic theme that most people will associate with NASCAR anyway - for free.
EVERYTHING is declining (well, except the foreclosures and unemployment lines), that's why they call it a depression. NASCAR is not going anywhere, as much as that burns some of you up.

I'll admit, I used to think NASCAR was just stupid. Yeah, good for some highlights on the news at night, but not much else. That is until 2004. I started watching Cup because my cousin was driving it, and actually started paying attention to it. There's a lot of strategy involved, not just "go fast, turn left". And there is nothing, NOTHING cooler than standing on pit road when 43 800+ HP engines fire up all at one time. The smell of gasoline and burnt rubber, the squeal of tires and scream of impact wrenches on pit road ..... Heaven. What other sport lets you camp out *INSIDE* the playing field for the weekend, bring your own beer and food into the stands, *AND* listen to the communications between crew and driver?!? The NASCAR Foundation schedules track walks at various race tracks, where you get to go out on the track, take pics next to the walls, climb the banking (done it at Charlotte, holy CRAP that's high!!), and generally just see the "field" from a different point of view. The drivers come out and walk with you sometimes, which the kids get a big kick out of (the adults are usually too brain dead at 8AM lol).

Besides, they don't always turn left. They turn right sometimes. It's just not good when they do it at most tracks :) (road courses are an exception, of course).

OK, back on topic. Yes to them doing a generic stock car theme, no to a "NASCAR" specific theme. Possible for a specific driver (after all, Carowinds *IS* having the Coke Family Drivers thing the following Saturday ..... I'm just sayin ..... One of them used to drive the #44 ..... And that particular driver would trade some money for rights for placing Victory Junction Gang stuff all over the place to raise awareness, I'm fairly certain). The trip today got called off cause of the weather, but I'm planning for next Saturday instead. So I am still planning on doing an update. Whenever I make it out there. :)