General Carowinds discussion
By dougb73
I think the coaster will be called White Lightning, and that it will have a moonshining racing theme. I also think it will be launched... but that's just because a launched coaster fits the name better.
By Keith
carowindsman6654 wrote:Keith, are you saying the website isn't real or are you saying that the page is just under construction from Cedar Fair still and there is nothing to look into yet?

Well, I guess that was confusing. Sorry. :/ Hmmm... I really don't know how to explain this.

I just think that they're setting up the subdomain for future purposes. The clues *seem* to point in the direction that White Lightning will be the name. That, I don't argue with. What I think is a bit ridiculous is that it seems that some people are overthinking this simple page as "another clue" or some jazz like that.

I'm not sure if my meaning is still coming through. Ha! Gimme some time, I'll have a better answer for you. ;)
By Jonathan
I read into it because it has been one of the only if the only cedar fair construction site ever, we never saw any of the others go up, that's why I am reading into it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I didn't really follow rumors for any of the other park's rides the last couple of years, but the name never leaked early for any of them did it? For all anyone knows there was a page like that up, but you would never know it if no one thought go to look up that subdomain.
By Jstbcool
Diamondback's name wasnt leaked, however, several people following the construction had found out from sources what it was. It was never posted to the forums I followed it on until right at the time of the announcement.
What about the fact that the previous coaster was not named White Lightning but rather White Lightnin'? All the clues on the new name all use White Lightning. This may seem subtle and insignificant but marketing departments take such things very seriously.
By Tinkerdog
dougb73 wrote:I think the coaster will be called White Lightning, and that it will have a moonshining racing theme. I also think it will be launched... but that's just because a launched coaster fits the name better.

If it is "White Lightning II", then that isn't very original, since they did this back in 1977. And the moonshining theme was done originally on Thunderoad (the two racing trains was a moonshiner "car" and a sheriff's "car".

But, on second thought.... this could be a combined theme of both ideas, since Nascar has it's roots in Moonshining.
b&mcoaster1095 wrote:Actually, as a matter of fact, I do. He was "Head of Design" for Disaster Transport with Intamin and Giovanola. HE painted the 12E on there. That's kind of like his "signature". Correction: He doesn't work for CF, he works at the design firm below. They have worked WITH CF in the past, in addition to Disney, Universal etc... I would say he will be the designer for this coaster...!

http://www.itec.com/Home/tabid/988/Default.aspx

Ummm, B&M is the designer for this coaster. I know you later said he is a themer, but I thought I'd point that out. CF says what kind of ride they want and where, and then B&M designs a ride.
By KenB
I think the ride is highly unlikely to have any "official" connection to ANY NASCAR driver, or even NASCAR itself. Given that CF ditched all the Paramount licenses, and looks to be ditching Nick, I'd be quite surprised if they then went out and got into a licensing deal with NASCAR. They can accomplish almost the same thing by using a generic RACING theme - checkered flags, a Carowinds / White Lightning stock car or two at the entrance, etc.

Think Top Thrill Dragster theming here. That one wasn't linked to the NHRA or any real drag racers, but the theme still worked fine in conveying the message of SPEED. Have a racing themed coaster at Carowinds, and most people will make the connection to NASCAR, the speedway, the hall of fame, etc., all on their own, without CF having to spend money on an actual license.

The name works on many levels, if it's indeed White Lightning. It has historical significance to Carowinds and the original White Lightnin'. Like WL1, it would allude to moonshine, and therefore the origins of NASCAR. Don't look for a still or anything overt. So those are the "insider references". For those who don't know any of that, White Lightning sounds fast, so it works there as well.
Diamondback FOF wrote:
b&mcoaster1095 wrote:Actually, as a matter of fact, I do. He was "Head of Design" for Disaster Transport with Intamin and Giovanola. HE painted the 12E on there. That's kind of like his "signature". Correction: He doesn't work for CF, he works at the design firm below. They have worked WITH CF in the past, in addition to Disney, Universal etc... I would say he will be the designer for this coaster...!

http://www.itec.com/Home/tabid/988/Default.aspx

Ummm, B&M is the designer for this coaster. I know you later said he is a themer, but I thought I'd point that out. CF says what kind of ride they want and where, and then B&M designs a ride.

Then please explain to me the role of Werner Stengel or Ron Toomer... :|
By Edwardo
Ron Toomer worked for Arrow and designed the layout and engineered the forces, and his company built the rides.

The B&M/Intamin/Stengle issue is kind of complicated to explain.

B&M come up with products (the coasters). They (Bolliger & Mabilliard, the guys) came up with the track design, IIRC, whilst working with Intamin. They continued to use it after they left (while Intamin used the type they're known for, which was modified from the designs of Schwarzkopf, which they purchases the rights to).

B&M designed most of the systems of the rides, the OS, the braking, the rolling stock, etc. And they worked with other companies that designed parts of the ride.

Stengle, which if you look hasn't been working with B&M for quite some time) is an engineer firm. They design layouts and calculate forces (as well as other things, but this is only in reference to B&M). When John Wardly works for Alton, he'll come up with a layout, and then it would be sent to Stengle to engineer the forces on the layout.

But B&M really doesn't use Stengle much anymore. In fact, They started doing their own engineering and design work around 2002 or so.

As for the Domain, I remember Carolina Cobra was leaked a while before the announcement, and I can't quite recall if anyone checked the website, but it seems someone on CoasterBuzz did.

And Jarvis, you couldn't have http://www.jarvisowns.carowinds.com because you do not own the http://www.carowinds.com domain. You could, however, have http://www.carowinds.jarvis.com or even http://www.jarvis.com/IownCarowinds.

I'm still not convinced that a lot of this isn't clever marketing, but we'll know soon enough.

but the theme still worked fine in conveying the message of SPEED.

Speaking of Speed, that ride isn't really themed to NASCAR either. It's just off the NASCAR Cafe, but there isn't one reference to the brand NASCAR in the station or on the coaster. The logo uses checkered flags, and that isn't exclusive to NASCAR.

So you could be totally right.
By Edwardo
but the theme still worked fine in conveying the message of SPEED.

Speaking of Speed, that ride isn't really themed to NASCAR either. It's just off the NASCAR Cafe, but there isn't one reference to the brand NASCAR in the station or on the coaster. The logo uses checkered flags, and that isn't exclusive to NASCAR.

So you could be totally right.
dailyshow wrote:Does anyone know right off if Diamondback had a teaser box? I've looked and cant seem to find anything on it, so I'm assuming that’s a no....

Dimaondback did not have a teaser box except for on KI's website.

carowindsman6654 wrote:Keith, are you saying the website isn't real or are you saying that the page is just under construction from Cedar Fair still and there is nothing to look into yet? :? I know it's a generic construction page to Windows. I just want to know whether it's real or not. I think it's real myself because it says Cedar Fair LP on the website and the sub-domain can only be registered to Carowinds.

Well, obviously it's a real website. But, I think it was just a website they quickly created since we were trying to find a website relating to the new ride.

For what it's worth, if you view the cource for the new website, it doesn't show what it normally does (<--Beast-->) or something like that.

Jonathan wrote:
I read into it because it has been one of the only if the only cedar fair construction site ever, we never saw any of the others go up, that's why I am reading into it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I didn't really follow rumors for any of the other park's rides the last couple of years, but the name never leaked early for any of them did it? For all anyone knows there was a page like that up, but you would never know it if no one thought go to look up that subdomain.

Diamondback was the rumored to be the name as early as a year and a half before it opened. But, no, nothing was every widely rumored.