General Carowinds discussion
By Jay
Very enjoyable day at Carowinds yesterday, so let's get to it. As usual, high res versions of the picture in the LINK under the picture.

Harmony Hall is finally open!

LINK.

Clock out front showing the menu and showtimes.

LINK.

The patio looks nice, but a little warm to be out here today.

LINK.

The food selection inside, was pretty incredible to say the least. Here are just a few of the things you can get...

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

I came away with a custom made salad that was so big the lid barely closed, it was awesome. My friend got some BBQ chicken with some sides, which he enjoyed very much. They've come a long way since the "Butt Pizza" at Wings all those years ago.

LINK.

Here is the primary dining area.

LINK.

There is a little bar area on the side, with TV's everywhere. This was really unexpected and looks fantastic.

LINK.

The Kickin' Country show plays multiple times a day and is definitely "kickin."

LINK.

Overall I was blown away by Harmony Hall. It exceeded every expectation I have, and is such a massive step forward for Carowinds. Everyone involved with making it come to fruition should be proud, and WE should be proud to have such a facility at our home park.

Now that I'm done with the good.. some of the not so good.

It was my first visit to the park since the new slides opened last week... and they look nice for the most part.

LINK.

Unfortunately the capacity is just absolutely terrible. There was only one lifeguard at the top for both slides! There is no reason there shouldn't be two at all times, seeing as the slides are independent from each other.

LINK.

First you get in line to wait for a tube, this line isn't shaded at all and will burn your feet off.

LINK.

Once you get a tube, you have to get in line to wait at the bottom of the stairs. Then every 5-10 minutes the lifeguard at the bottom of the stairs will let you up.

LINK.

Overall it's a good addition, hopefully they work out the kinks in time. I probably waited around 35 minutes for it, and I got there right after it opened.

One thing that piqued my interest was this gate next to Surfers Swell/Dorsal Fin Drop...

LINK.

Wonder it could be a major pathway in the future leading a future waterpark expansion...

LINK.

A small tidbit about Snoopy Junction...

LINK.

There was an ARMY of people working on it. We saw the train run a few times with a guy on the back inspecting something.

LINK.

I imagine it will open any day now...

LINK.

That's all for the 2014 additions.. now to move on to "future projects"...

Upon driving into the park one thing that CAN'T be missed is all the construction equipment. Some black tarps have been put up as well in the large grass field in between the former season pass parking lot and current "normal" parking lot.

LINK.

Obviously this isn't for the coaster, but it is my educated guess that this land will be graded and reformed into a NEW season pass parking lot. There have been many complaints about them taking away the season pass parking, so this should prove to be a wise decision. I was going to try to get more pictures of this area but it was raining hard as I was leaving. I'm sure Wormy will have something for you next week. :-)

LINK.

Oooooh.. Surveying equipment.. maybe I should just go over and take a peek..

LINK.

On second thought.. let's not. HEY GUYS WHATCHA WORKIN' ON?!?

LINK.

These guys have definitely been busy recently...

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

It's good to see so many of these saying "tree protection area." How very un-Cedar Fair.

Back over next to Hurler.. the fence stands. Teaser-less.

LINK.

Inside the fence, the Go-Kart track is gone, and land prep begins.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

LINK.

Here are the remains of the Go-Kart track. All in a big pile.

LINK.

And here's the backside.. notice anything interesting?

LINK.

Before I leave let's just put my camera over the fence, see if I notice anything..

LINK.

Dang, nothing over here either.

LINK.

Let me wrap this up with some odds and ends.

It's never good when your "Funnel" falls off. It's a new sign, c'mon.

LINK.

It's tough to see with the clouds, but there are these little LED balls on the entrance gate for County Fair. They changed color every few seconds. I'm sure it looks great at night.

LINK.

Nighthawk has now reached "Crystal Beach Cyclone" territory, having a medic at the exit. I knew it was bad but this is ridiculous...

LINK.

To see the rest of my photos from yesterday click HERE.
A quick google says it stands for "Line of Demolition." Make of that what you will. :wink:

In an effort to remain organized here is a list of all the "major" updates since Opening Day, so now it won't take more than a click or two to see how things have progressed. I've also posted this at the top of the first page of this thread, and will keep it updated there.

List of Updates
3/30/14 by Jay
3/30/14 by Wormy
4/06/14 by Wormy
4/20/14 by Wormy
5/03/14 by Jay
5/11/14 by Wormy
5/24/14 by Wormy
6/04/14 by Jay
6/08/14 by Wormy
6/15/14 by Wormy
6/21/14 and here too by Wormy
6/28/14 by Jay

Harmony Hall Timelapse, by Wormy
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Great update Jay. I agree, Harmony Hall turned out pretty good.

Was the pathway under Thunder Road you photographed the "stateline" pathway or another one? The state line runs directly under TR on about the 2nd hill before the turnaround. It just so happens the path was built along the state line. It has been there since day one and at one time was used as an entrance to the wave pool (when that's all they had).
I hope we can keep Silver Scream Sinema, its nmy favorite of the haunts, and has some really cool themeing. Hopefully they can re-route the entrance through the dead end beside Drop Tower and Hurler's station?? I just hope we don't lose it.

London Terror was my favorite zone last season too, I imagine they'll change it up a bit this season to make room for Harmony Hall, right? (assuming it returns, but why wouldn't it?).

I also hope we see the addition of some great new mazes this season or the next. I'm very excited for the future of Carowinds!
Is Carowinds trying to churn a profit on the go-karts. Found this picture and that coaster in the background sure does look like the Hurler. Not to mention the condition is listed as very, very good so they must have just been in use or listed.
Attachments
looks similar to the picture below.???