General Carowinds discussion
RRRAPIDS wrote:So does this explain why one of Jukebox's display cars were removed about a month ago. Could this all be apart of the theming/story for the 5O's and farm life etc....

If this is related to the 2019 attraction, I hope they beat it up a little. It’d be a nice callback to Hillbilly Jalopies which was the first attraction in that area.

Also worth mentioning that Thunder Road and White Lightnin’ have also stood in that area. A car-themed roller coaster revolving around moonshine-running would be the ultimate callback coaster. I still think it’ll be called Copperhead Strike but the theming is shaping up to be very different from what we originally thought.
Appearances corn be deceptive. Byrd's Corn Farm is actually a front for a moonshine operation. Granny's boys are cooking up something in the barn. Now what does this have to do with launches and cars? Maybe the stuff is so potent, it's like jet fuel? I think it is fair to say the coaster probably has nothing to do with a snake. We invented that here and the rest of the world ran with it.
Capler wrote:Also, something else that works against this being a spinning coaster. Those spinning cars added a lot to Time Travelers cost. I can't see Cedar Fair spending the extra money for the same gimmick that opened at a competitors park one year earlier. There would be zero media buzz for a Time Traveler clone that opens next season in the US. My biggest concern is for what Magic Mountain is building. If this is another Mack Blue Fire clone, (all Mack two launchers are Blue Fire clones with some variance), they will get all the press.

the only media coverage needed is whatever will sell tickets to carowinds...NC and SC coverage. We aren't watching or caring about as customers what Magic Mountain is building or if these other parks did something a year or two before Carowinds did. It's not going to be a problem to get PR in the places that matter.
LoveMeSomePrunes wrote:
Capler wrote:Also, something else that works against this being a spinning coaster. Those spinning cars added a lot to Time Travelers cost. I can't see Cedar Fair spending the extra money for the same gimmick that opened at a competitors park one year earlier. There would be zero media buzz for a Time Traveler clone that opens next season in the US. My biggest concern is for what Magic Mountain is building. If this is another Mack Blue Fire clone, (all Mack two launchers are Blue Fire clones with some variance), they will get all the press.

the only media coverage needed is whatever will sell tickets to carowinds...NC and SC coverage. We aren't watching or caring about as customers what Magic Mountain is building or if these other parks did something a year or two before Carowinds did. It's not going to be a problem to get PR in the places that matter.

Yes, I'm a little concerned about the competition, but that will really only exist in the enthusiast community. I would be far more concerned if the rumors were for a park such as Dollywood or SFOG where they would be close enough to compete.
Let us not discount the Fury effect. Fury was given national and international coverage by the media. That created a buzz by folk who became aware, and altered vacation plans and stopped at Carowinds when they might have otherwise not. Then there are all those youtube videos and comments where people are saying, 'I would love to ride that one day.'
The Golden Ticket Awards has also been a big plus which helps increase attendance. Basically any coaster that displaced Millennium Force is going to generate curiosity.

With that said, I disagree that a Magic Mountain Mack two launcher would not impact a Carowinds coaster if they both opened in the same year. Much would depend on which opens first, but MM is naturally going to get the big media coverage because of their location and because of who they are.
I honestly think it will depend on how good the rides are. Hopefully ours will have much better theming than Magic Mountain's ( Which should not be that hard if we get a Mystic Timbers type experience.)