Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By hikernut79
Just got back from a quick trip to Florida and was able to hit BGT for a day. This was my 3rd time there and being able to ride Kumba and Montu. I think I am in the minority here but I think Kumba is majorly underrated and Montu is quite a bit overrated.

Kumba is fast and quite intense for a B&M and its setting is awesome being in and amongst the trees and vegetation. You never hear people talk about Kumba much but I think it's one of the better B&M's I've been on.

Montu for me just isn't that intense and I've never understood why so many people love on it and hate on Alpengeist. I would rather ride Alpie anytime over Montu and Afterburn as well.
By cwgator
I'm the complete opposite. BGT/SWO have been my home parks since 2007 (Carowinds before that). Montu is the best B&M Invert IMO. I love Alpengeist, but it doesn't give me the same feelings. Maybe it's the batwing vs. cobra roll. I actually had one of my best rides on Montu a few weeks ago. It was about 90 degrees out and the MCBR barely engaged/slowed us down. I've had some great night rides as well. I suppose there could be some bias since I've definitely ridden it more than any of the others now. I have been able to experience it pretty much every time/season of the year.

Kumba seems to be hit or miss for me. I started riding it in 2007 and could do so over and over again whenever I went. However the last several years it produces instant headaches when I ride...not as bad as Rougarou did for me, but enough to keep me from jumping back on. Most times I even skip it. I did ride it a few weeks ago after a bout a year of not doing so and it seemed better in the middle of the train (I usually prefer back row, far left). I got a slight headache, but went away fairly quickly so an improvement at least. My brother-in-law enjoyed his first ride on it.

I guess it all comes down to us as individuals. We all experience these rides in our own way. Many of us agree on many rides, but occasionally, we find we don't see eye to eye.
By hikernut79
Gator, you are right, it's all subjective and everyone has their own experience. As I said I think I'm in the minority on this one :)

Since you live down there what do you think about Kraken? I love that one as well and it reminds me of Kumba but it's definitely smoother. I don't think it's quite as intense but I do love the pacing of it. I haven't been there since Manta and Mako have been built so I hope to get back before too long.
By cwgator
I love Kraken. It's starting to show/feel it's age, but is much better for me than Kumba. I can ride and ride and ride again. No issues. It was my #1 until Fury 325 opened in 2015. As you can see in my signature, I've expanded my park portfolio some (CP, KI & KK), so it's moved down a bit (#8). It may drop a little further when I hit all the Texas parks next summer: SFOT, SFFT, SWSA, Galveston Pier, Kemah Boardwalk and maybe ZDT's and OWA in AL.
By coasterbruh
Montu is king. So old, yet still so smooth and forceful.
By hikernut79
coasterbruh wrote:Montu is king. So old, yet still so smooth and forceful.
I'll give you smooth but my recent rides just weren't that forceful. Kumba on the other hand was an absolute beast!
By yawetag
Resurrecting this rather than starting a new thread.

Heading to Orlando area this summer. Right now, I can get 2-day BGT and SWO tickets for $20 more than a 1-day ticket, so we're looking at taking advantage of that. Probably adding the all-day dining/drink for $50 each ($25/day for meals and drinks every hour seems worth it).

Anything we need to know for both? We're not going to focus all our attention on the rides, as daughter is still antsy on bigger coasters and both kids will want to do zoo/aquarium viewing, too.
By coasterbruh
Do Empire of the penguins like first thing as it can get a LOOOONNNGGGG line. Same with cheetah hunt.