Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By gabed
pproteinc wrote:So my friend and I arrived to SFOG around 5pm yesturday a day trip from Charlotte and was astonished at how packed the park was. Almost turned around lol. I was told it was not only the first day of FrightFest which I knew but also the blood drive with free admission and also it was bring a friend for free Day. It was a bit much to say the least but we it made thru ok lol.

Now I know SFOG has an issue with wild teens but for Justice League a brand new ride only 5 months old to look like it's been in the park for 10yrs is crazy. This is in the que line.

IMG_7408.JPG
IMG_7409.JPG
IMG_7410.JPG

Stuff like this pisses me off beyond belief, how hard is it to leave crap alone? :thumbdown:
Went to Six Flags America yesterday! Don’t feel like writing out a trip report, so here’s all my thoughts:

- This Park gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It’s not a great park by any means, in fact it’s incredibly generic and average. Bad? No. Six Flags St Louis is what bad looks like.

- The coaster collection leaves a lot to be desired. Only 3 coasters are not clones, one of which used to be but is now unique by default. Even still, none of the coasters cracked my top 50.

- Crazy good collection of flat rides.

- The Park was dead, which is very weird considering it was a sunny Saturday.

- Was very impressed with the steak quesadilla I bought.

All in all, it’s an alright park. Not worth making it the sole purpose of a trip, but worth the pit stop if you’re driving past it.
Eh...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-10/spain-s-parques-reunidos-is-said-to-explore-purchase-of-seaworld
Spain’s Parques Reunidos Explores Purchase of SeaWorld

Spanish theme-park operator Parques Reunidos Servicios Centrales SA is among the potential buyers of SeaWorld Entertainment Inc., people familiar with the matter said.

The Madrid-based company, which operates more than 60 attractions around the world, is considering a combination with SeaWorld, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private.

A representative of Parques Reunidos declined to comment, and Orlando, Florida-based SeaWorld couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

Shares of SeaWorld rose 3.6 percent in pre-market trading Tuesday, giving the company a market value of $1.3 billion. Parques Reunidos has a market value of about $1.25 billion.

SeaWorld is working with advisers to explore options including a sale, people with knowledge of the process said last week. The company went public in 2013 under Blackstone Group LP’s ownership and suffered a blow after “Blackfish,” a documentary released that year, accused SeaWorld of mistreating its killer whales. Attendance suffered at the company’s parks and SeaWorld replaced much of its management and board.

U.K. theme-park operator Merlin Entertainments Plc has approached SeaWorld about a potential deal for part of the company, the people said last week.

Parques Reunidos is backed by Belgian financier Albert Frere’s investment company Groupe Bruxelles Lambert SA, which acquired more than 15 percent of Parques Reunidos in April.

So...between Parques Reunidos & Merlin, which would be better? I've heard nothing but negative for both in terms of buying these parks. Hopefully there is another unknown "suitor" looking at this.
Based on my experiences at Kennywood and Lake Compounce, look forward to enjoying one train operation on all coasters on Saturdays in the middle of summer if Parques Reunidos purchases them. All their parks are attractive and maintained very nicely at least.
Merlin has said they aren't talking to SW about any deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-11/legoland-owner-says-it-s-not-talking-to-seaworld-about-any-deal
Legoland Owner Says It’s Not Talking to SeaWorld About Any Deal
Merlin Entertainments Plc isn’t talking to SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. about an acquisition of the U.S. company or a deal for any of its parts, the U.K. owner of Legoland theme parks said.

Merlin, which has been seeking to expand overseas to offset a slide in day trippers visiting London, previously approached SeaWorld about a potential transaction, people familiar with the matter said last week. The U.K. company, which operates Madame Tussauds wax museums and the London Eye Ferris wheel, was said to be interested in SeaWorld’s Busch Gardens theme parks.

“We can confirm that Merlin is not involved in any discussions that might lead to an acquisition of SeaWorld or any of its constituent parts,” Merlin said in a statement, responding to a request for comment from Bloomberg News.
As a family we really like KOA campgrounds. I found it interesting that King's Dominion Camp Wilderness Campground is now a KOA:

https://koa.com/campgrounds/richmond-north/

From the KOA newsletter that I get:

Located next to one of the nation’s best theme parks, this KOA is perfect for thrill-seeking campers.

When your next door neighbor is a theme park, you know you’re in for a great time. And that’s exactly where the Richmond North / Kings Dominion KOA (previously Kings Dominion’s Wilderness Camp) is located – adjacent to the famous Kings Dominion theme park in Virginia.

“We are fortunate to have many guests who visit us several times a year,” says John Dutton, who is the park’s full-time manager. “We’re looking forward to having them see that all of the great things they’ve come to expect from us are still the same, but we now have the added benefit of being a KOA.”

It would be interesting to see if this eventually happens at Carowinds. I know there is a KOA one exit down but we noticed it went downhill when we stayed there last year.
I will be going to the ACE event in Dollywood this weekend and hopefully get to ride Lighting Rod for the first time since it opened, after being able to look at it and not ride it 3 times! (Albeit 2 of them were while it was under construction). I just have an accounting test to get through tomorrow that the teacher said would be even harder than the final...
Dorney Park is removing Stinger over the winter...
Interesting.

https://www.dorneypark.com/blog/2017/december/changes-at-the-park
Finally, from time to time we have to move things around or even remove them completely in order to look to the future. Stinger, which came to us from our sister park California's Great America in 2012, will be removed to make room for future planning opportunities. We don’t have details to share right now, but we are working on future planning and development of the park.
By gabed
Hardly a loss. While I’ve yet to ride a GIB, both of the standard inverted boomerangs I’ve ridden were garbage.

I feel like this is more of a maintence choice than clearing for a new coaster. As much as I truly love Dorney, I can’t imagine that they would have a massive ROI on large coaster, unless we’re talking a family sized ride.
If they were to move a few other things around they could possibly put in an RMC Raptor. I think it would be a perfect fit for DP. It would boost their attendance that's for sure. I hear you can go just about any day and it's all walk on...lol
I spent last weekend in Columbia & Atlanta to go to the final two shows of Janet Jackson's State of the World tour. Atlanta was kind of last minute so I had nosebleed seats, but I was 12 rows back in Columbia. Great shows, and Missy Elliot came out on stage in Atlanta. Plus I finally went to Coke World. Here's some pix.

ImageJanet State of the World Tour Columbia 2017 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr

My first show at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.

From my seat 12 rows back.

(Sorry for the blurry) Fantasia was there. I had better seats. I guess that Idol money ran out...

The show was filled with Socially Conscious themes, which Janet is known for.

ImageJanet State of the World Tour 2017 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr

Janet takes the stage.

She's 51 with a kid and still moves.

Miss Jackson if you're nasty.

My friend Don worked on some of the background media content, including the video playing behind her in this segment.

Janet & J Cole get No Sleeep.

"What about the time you said you didn't **** her she only gave you ****?!"

Ending the show on a high note.

After Columbia we went to Atlanta for the last show of the tour. Again, I had crappy seats, but the show was still great. Samuel L. Jackson and several other celebs were there, she did a song that she hasn't performed on this tour at the end just for ATL, and again, Missy Elliot came out to sing her part on a song.

ImageJanet State of the World Tour Atlanta 2017 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr

My crew for the Atlanta show (I was the one taking the pic).

At least I was able to see the entire stage. We actually were upgraded to a better seat. Sadly I couldn't find Janet's bodyguard, Joey, who has the front row tickets. I found him in Charlotte in 2015 and got upgraded to front row.

Missy Elliott comes out and the crowd went CRAZY on Burnitup.

I need a bigger zoom lens.

I loved when she sat down and just chilled with her dancers and background singers.

Giving her brother Michael a shout out.

ImageAtlanta & World of Coke 2017 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr

We ended up with a room at the very luxurious Omni CNN Center Hotel which is connected to Philips Arena (We didn't even go outside to get to the concert) for a very cheap $99 a nite. I'll definitely stay here again next time I go down for a concert.

We were right by the new stadium...

Which was right by the old Georgia Dome that was recently imploded (Mostly).

The big round sky scraper is the Westin, where we stayed back in March. Its also very nice. We lucked out and got a room there for $89 on Hotwire, and it was their last room that weekend.

I love that the entrance to Philips Arena spells out Atlanta.

In all my years going to Atlanta I'd never done this. Of course I've done the tasting stations at Epcot, and even tried some different kinds at the Coke attraction in Vegas, but this was my first time here.

Mezzo Mix! And I also don't hate the Beverly like most people.
For any of you guys that have been to Coaster Con, I'm looking for some advice. I am interested in going this year, especially since it could potentially work out nicely as a "stop" on my way traveling from NC up to Boston to move there permanently.

I'm curious how much the event normally costs? I don' even know how much just the registration is, so that would be helpful, and if anyone is comfortable sharing how much they usually spend on hotels and food, that would be great. Transportation I have covered.

I'm also curious what kinds of "perks" you get as an attendee (behind the scenes tours? Free stuff? How much ERT?) and if you guys have personally found the event worthwhile.

I'm hesitating on going because I've been to KD and SFA before (I love both though!!) so the only new park would be Busch Gardens. I'm leaning towards saving my money and maybe just hitting up BG on my drive up the coast. But maybe you guys can convince me otherwise :mrgreen:
A-z coasters wrote:Here is a blast from the past.
old cc.PNG

Dude did you hear that we might be getting Stealth from Paramount’s CGA?!?