Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
By CCookieMonster
On Saturday I went to Carowinds with the youth group at my church. We got there around 11:45 and left around 9:30 so we had a full day at the park. And guess what? The park wasn't overcrowded! 8) :D :clap: :P This may have been due to the heat advisory, though.

Most of the group started their day with Fury, but I decided to start with Intimidator with a few friends. Intimidator was as good as I remembered and the trims were not a problem at all. There was definitely loads of airtime on every single hill and is definitely a great fit for the park. Next, we went to Fury. Here we met up with some friends and I ended up on row 5. I was nervous, despite marathoning Fury labor day weekend 2017 and fell in love with the coaster and it immediately topping my list of the 40 coasters I've ridden (I know, super low. I only get about 5 or 6 new creds every year). The first drop was as scary and air-time filled as I remember. The whole ride was amazing and I don't think any coaster in the next few years will be able to top it! Next, we went to county fair to ride Electro-spin, which is still a fun ride and is definitely a must-do. Copperhead Strike was definitely much more fun and is my #4 ride in the park after the big 3 of course. It's definitely a great ride to improve the coaster collection at Carowinds since we had a nice top 3 but there was no depth to the coaster line up. Afterburn was fantastic as always, even though this time the much-needed mist was not on.

The only negative parts of the day were waiting an hour and 15 minutes for Nighthawk, which was actually more fun than I remember. The only parts that were not so fun were staring at the sun up the lift hill and then the 2 corkscrews at the end. The loop was great and what I've always considered the best part of the ride. The 2 corkscrews were just painful though. It would be a much better ride if they had new trains and increased the operation cycle because God they were slow! I even joked and told my friends "They would not tolerate this slowness at Fury". :lolno: The only other negatives were getting strapped into Windseeker and not get to ride, just to see new riders 5 minutes later while in line for Copperhead (as you can see I was pretty salty because this would've been my first time riding it). Then when riding Fury that night, the line was pretty long and one of the chaperones who wasn't able to get in line with the rest of us tried to catch up with us later in the line. The ride op in between the two sections of the switchbacks told him he couldn't skip, and our chap had an attitude and started an argument with the op. Our chap just gave up and left the line. When we got in the station to ride, that same up walked up the stairs just to make sure our chap wasn't riding with us. He took his $9 an hour too seriously. :lol:

Despite the altercation between the ride op and our chaperone, us ending the night with Fury was the best way to end such a great day at Carowinds. It felt like it was running even faster at night than earlier in the afternoon! (I noticed in Afterburn one of the ops said that Fury runs 95 to 98mph.) All in all, it was a great day to be at Carowinds and I enjoyed just about everything we did. I really want to go back during Scarowinds with some friends and will definitely share that experience with y'all too.
By yawetag
CCookieMonster wrote:Then when riding Fury that night, the line was pretty long and one of the chaperones who wasn't able to get in line with the rest of us tried to catch up with us later in the line. The ride op in between the two sections of the switchbacks told him he couldn't skip, and our chap had an attitude and started an argument with the op. Our chap just gave up and left the line. When we got in the station to ride, that same up walked up the stairs just to make sure our chap wasn't riding with us. He took his $9 an hour too seriously. :lol:

Unpopular Opinion: People who skip in line should be removed from the line. It's one of the most frustrating things, and it's great to see there's at least one employee at Carowinds who cares. Do you know what I do when I'm with a group and have to wait on someone? I wait at the back of the line until they arrive, letting people get in front of me.

Only makes it worse that you're a youth group at a church and your chaperone - by your words - argued with them. Great impression there.

And, to top it off, you're implying that someone making $9/hour shouldn't take their job seriously. At what pay rate should someone start caring? Or is it based solely on how much their caring impacts you?
By Glitch99
yawetag wrote:Do you know what I do when I'm with a group and have to wait on someone? I wait at the back of the line until they arrive, letting people get in front of me.

I agree. The only exception being with (younger) kids, where it doesnt affect seating - like adding a 4th person to a 3 person group for Boo Blasters or Ricochet, or adding a 3rd person when riding Rock'n'Roller (or straight-up swapping one person for another). Otherwise those in line go to the back with the additional person (or lets people past until he catches up), if they all want to ride together.

Starting an argument over not being allowed to screw other people who've been waiting in line is kind of low. Try to get away with it if you must, but at least accept it if caught. Technically, dont the official rules even state that trying to line skip gets you kicked out of the park?
By CCookieMonster
Glitch99 wrote:I agree. The only exception being with (younger) kids, where it doesnt affect seating -

Starting an argument over not being allowed to screw other people who've been waiting in line is kind of low.?

I agree with this because this is what we were trying to do. We had two extra seats left in one of the rows (we planned our seating) so he and his wife could've filled the other two seats in the row. I really didn't like the fact that he argued with him, but it was his decision and there was no way any of us were gonna risk our night ride on Fury trying to end their argument. The specifics of the conversation are below:

Op: "Hey! There's no skipping in the line. You need to go to the ba-"
Chaperone: " Do I look like I'm in the line?!" ( As he stands on the outside of the rail between the two sets of switchbacks.)
The bickering begins and goes on for about 2 minutes.

I personally would've just told the op that I just wanted to join the rest of my group and if he said "no you can't" I would've left the line and waited for the others so we can leave the park and head home (like I was hoping he'd do instead of wasting our time and everyone else's time).
By yawetag
CCookieMonster wrote:I agree with this because this is what we were trying to do. We had two extra seats left in one of the rows (we planned our seating) so he and his wife could've filled the other two seats in the row.

That's not at all what Glitch was saying. It appears those of you in line were old enough to ride alone - plus, Fury doesn't have individual cars in which groups tend to stay together. Your two spots would have been easily filled by someone between you and the end of the line.

CCookieMonster wrote:I really didn't like the fact that he argued with him, but it was his decision and there was no way any of us were gonna risk our night ride on Fury trying to end their argument.

I personally would've just told the op that I just wanted to join the rest of my group and if he said "no you can't" I would've left the line and waited for the others so we can leave the park and head home (like I was hoping he'd do instead of wasting our time and everyone else's time).

I'm going to call this for what it is: BS. You even went out of your way in your original post to demean the employee for even caring. Your post is pretty clear that you found the actions of the employee to be unfair to your group, and once you were called out on it, you're trying to backtrack.