General Carowinds discussion
By Carowindsman
I love this forum , Been with it for a long time. I would hate to see it go. Times have changed with social media though. Whatever you feel you guys want to do I understand.
By LoveMeSomePrunes
Jonathan wrote:
LoveMeSomePrunes wrote:
Chris wrote:I never said the site goes down because people have jobs. I was implying that people can't stop real life to fix a server issue. I didn't realize that was not obvious. My apologies.

Since the error message is now in this forum i'm replying to you here
You said
Chris wrote:I'm guessing people have real life going on. Actual 8 to 5 jobs. Not able to check and repair every second.

Then You said
Are you really insisting that someone, who does this for free without charging his members, should spend more money out of pocket to please an impatient user?
viewtopic.php?p=104007#p104007

My point is that for the $20 a month or whatever the site owner pays to have this as a hobby and provide a free forum for carowinds fans, he ought to be able to expect better reliability from his ISP than 48 hour outages every 10 days or so. Thats exactly what has happened now within the past 30 days.

Godaddy or whoever is a very cheap basic ISP that doesn't have issues like whatever is going on in this case. There are bazillions just like godaddy. No reason for it to be out.

"Spend more money out of pocket to please an impatient user?" Oh Please. Nah, just that it's not going to be a very serious site if it has outages, whether he does it for free or not. I appreciate the forum being here, dont get me wrong, but it's just becoming increasingly unreliable.

You haven’t the slightest clue what the issues are and I laughed out loud at the suggestion that buying a GoDaddy hosting account would fix it.

The reality is that the website is more than 15 years old. The current build of the forum software and database is nearly four years old. Corruptions and vulnerabilities are popping up at a greater rate and the only way to truly address that is to migrate the site to a new software build, a very time consuming effort that neither myself or any of the other volunteers have the time or interest in doing right now.

So you are right, the time may be approaching to start considering alternatives.

Thanks. An actual helpful reply vs. the usual snark from the alleged "cool kids" who think they own this place.
By sccoasterbear
Coasterphreak wrote:Personally, I'm just glad there's someone around that pays attention and fixes issues as they crop up for what is a relatively targeted fansite.

I have to agree
By Jonathan
My latest theory is that the meltdowns the site has been sporadically experiencing can be traced to infections on a Wordpress site that I was hosting for a friend. I have forced them to move their site elsewhere, so fingers crossed that the problem is now solved.
By Crave
I'm not sure who runs this site, or even who the mods are, but wanted to say that the site and the efforts of those who make it possible are appreciated. Thank you.