General Carowinds discussion
By FamousAmos
I've actually been on Hurler more this season than last season. It's smoother than it's been since it was built. And a trimless ride actually provides a little sliver jolt of what I thought was maybe *airtime* :yawn: :mrgreen: But it was still a little bit of fun.
By Edwardo
I was just on Hurler. It most definitely is not smoother than when it was built (I rode it several times its first year).

I say let GCI do to Hurler what they did to Ghostrider, put floor less trains on Vortex.
By coasterbruh
FamousAmos wrote:I've actually been on Hurler more this season than last season. It's smoother than it's been since it was built. And a trimless ride actually provides a little sliver jolt of what I thought was maybe *airtime* :yawn: :mrgreen: But it was still a little bit of fun.

You rode it during its opening year? I can remember hurler being an out of this world experience back then.
By FamousAmos
What I meant was "it's smoother than when it was built" means that it hasn't been this smooth since it first opened. The track work they've done has helped out a lot.
By cwgator
It was running pretty well the first SEVERAL years it was open. I never had any complaints when riding it from 1994-2002. I moved so I didn't ride again until 2008 and noticed it was not that great. The last time in 2015, while some improvements had been made, the ride felt neutered to death. So while not painful as I remember before, I could have fallen asleep.

With that said, I actually agree with Edwardo on what should happen next with it and Vortex. I would prefer a new woody being built elsewhere in the park.
By redrunner97
I could care less what they do with Vortex, though a floorless conversion couldn't be worse of a ride than it is currently.

As for Hurler, it's been better since the re-tracking and that first drop still gets my stomach every time. That being said, I'd take the Twisted Timbers treatment any day of the week! It looks so rad. Just give us a GCI first! :mrgreen:
By pproteinc
Nope not here for it. Leave Hurler as is and maybe get GCI to do a ghostrider treatment. I think the trains are just to heavy. Maybe kill a car off or switch to millennium flyers. I dont want see clone at Carowinds. Obviously CF is trying to separate the parks lol. A ground up RMC yes. Vortex? Leave it. It's a waste of money to convert. Aren't there new trains for stand ups?
By mark40511
For me ....I don't remember Hurler being an out of this word awesome experience EVER! I mean, the layout is so boring.....I like the drop, but then that's it - you remain just low to the ground going over a few little humps / straight lines, a curve here and there. That's why I always would ride Hurler once and TR multiple times. At least it's not as horrible as a ride as the one at KD was.

So the answer is YES - do a conversion on it......either that, or keep hurler the way it is, build a new RMC, and convert vortex paint and rename it.
By Jonathan
Hurler around 2002 was outstanding. It was fairly smooth and had crazy airtime over the first three hills. It was a must-ride. I'll always remember the wild night rides during Scarowinds that year. The layout is pretty dull, though.
By uscbandfan
I definitely fall in the "Hurler is NOT as smooth now as when it was built" category.

To that end... I wouldn't mind a conversion. Vortex can go away as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love to see a larger wooden coaster back in the park. Cost may be the driving factor as to why we wont see that. I don't know though. Maybe we could see a hybrid like Steel Vengeance. If we do, I certainly want some thought put into the layout. I like the way Steel Vengeance uses some out-and-back to keep up the speed but throws in just enough of some "through-the-ride" and "under-the-ride" stuff to make it very interesting. Please don't make it as compact as Gwazi was though. Let's gain some speed and let it run!!
By Edwardo
pproteinc wrote:Aren't there new trains for stand ups?

That would cost nearly as much, if not the same, as converting it to a floorless, and without a marketing angle.