General Carowinds discussion
Grobble wrote:
swampfox43 wrote:
Grobble wrote:Cedar Fair never stated they wanted Carowinds to be the "Cedar Point of the South.". That was never stated it as a corporate goal or plan. People are making big leaps from a the actual statement made. ...Fanboying!

Entirely untrue. I was sitting 20 feet from Bart Kinzel at lunch during the European Coaster Club's visit to Carowinds in 2010 when he emphatically made that statement over a microphone about CF's desire to make Carowinds the "Cedar Point of the South". I heard it, and 100 other people heard it.

LOL! I leave the fanboying of you at that.

Are you saying you don't believe him? There is not a more respected member on here than swampfox43. If he says he heard Bart say that. That is proof enough for me.
Construction was very active today! It was funny to see all the GP wonder what was going on with the loud drilling. Yes they were drilling today and you could get a better view from the top flight of stairs on barracuda blasters in the waterpark (orange and white slides) I forgot to take my phone up there so I couldn’t get a picture but there is a mini hole that they are digging with a drill but I just couldn’t tell what it was. a couple more trees have been removed and based on where they put the boundaries for them to work they will only leave about 15-20 feet from the matinenence house for this coaster. I do think that they could use a bigger matinenece house or build another one on the other side of the park. Another addition for 2019 that I could see is a remodeled arcade or a new building. I went inside the arcade today and man it is old it does have a good bit of up to date games but the building itself is so worn down and has been here way too long. Not saying the arcade will happen since 2019 is already going to be a big year but I could see it happening in the next few years.
Attachments
Current construction photo as of 6/20
The GP are always so funny. Had a group from a christian camp behind me as we were in line for Steel Vengeance say "This has to have those shoulder restrains right?" and as the ride goes over the double up near the entrance they go "Yea it does, i can see them. No way its just a lap bar". Then proceeded to say all a bunch of misinformation about the ride :lol:
Chris wrote:I don't know if it's the right size but I could see the flyers going in Yo-Yo's spot (with Yo-Yo going to another park, or even in Camp Snoopy as a step up from 'Charlie Brown's Wind-Up').

did the yoyo ever "tip" the way they're supposed to do? The carowinds version absolutely blows...tipping off center so there's no "oomph" to it. And now it's Pointless to have it with the wave swinger anyway. flyers might fit there but google earth shows more trees at yoyo. not sure if the concrete pad is an exact match or if these rides are all kind of standardized for how big a radius they need.

if yoyo goes away for gliders, i'd sure hope they replace the flat ride with another one from somewhere, maybe something like a monster/octopus or crazy dance. I just think flyers seems like a county fair kind of ride
swampfox43 wrote:
Grobble wrote:Cedar Fair never stated they wanted Carowinds to be the "Cedar Point of the South.". That was never stated it as a corporate goal or plan. People are making big leaps from a the actual statement made. ...Fanboying!

Entirely untrue. I was sitting 20 feet from Bart Kinzel at lunch during the European Coaster Club's visit to Carowinds in 2010 when he emphatically made that statement over a microphone about CF's desire to make Carowinds the "Cedar Point of the South". I heard it, and 100 other people heard it.

I’m glad to hear that has been stated.

I do not expect anywhere near cedar point level of rides and quality but Carowinds just keeps getting better each year imo. The only reason I didn’t renew my pass this year was for personal and private matters(lots of death in family).

I really hope to be back in 2019 and the timing of this new attraction sounds perfect :D

When do you guys think Carowinds will officially unveil it?
mdsmith98 wrote:
fishels wrote:When do you guys think Carowinds will officially unveil it?

If they follow the trend in the past years, I would think around mid August. I heard August 16th tossed around. That is also my guess.

Thanks dude I’ll be looking forward to that timeframe hopefully :)

Trying to keep expectations kinda in the middle. I’m sure whatever it is it’ll be a really good addition to the park. Although the fanboy in me wants a record breaker I will be happy with anything new really.

Is this speculated to be a really thrilling ride? Last time I was here I thought I heard people thinking it might be like... ummm, I think it’s called “time traveler”?
fishels wrote:Thanks dude I’ll be looking forward to that timeframe hopefully :)

Trying to keep expectations kinda in the middle. I’m sure whatever it is it’ll be a really good addition to the park. Although the fanboy in me wants a record breaker I will be happy with anything new really.

Is this speculated to be a really thrilling ride? Last time I was here I thought I heard people thinking it might be like... ummm, I think it’s called “time traveler”?

It is unknown for the most part if it’s gonna be a spinner (time traveler) or a regular (helix, icon, blue fire, etc). I’m sure a few people on these forums know which it will be, but the general consensus is, we don’t know. I personally believe it won’t be a spinner, but I have been wrong plenty of times.

Whatever it is, it will definitely fill that gap in the lineup that we’ve been missing since White Lightning. Spinner or non spinner, it will most likely be high thrill. Cedar Fair loves carowinds (if it wasn’t apparent enough) so I believe they will give us something awesome, and take care of us, whether it is a spinner or not.
RW_Fury325 wrote:After someone pointed out that the station design actually reflected the 4 car megacoaster style, I'm pretty sure that it will be a standard launch. (If the blueprints are real). We'll find out soon enough.

Are there blueprints for the station design? If so, where can I find them?
There were no specific station blueprints, but in the leaked layout blueprints (here) it included the station. Time Traveler's air gates have a larger separation between cars, compared to the ones in those presumably real blueprints. I could be wrong though!