General Carowinds discussion
arby wrote:It was great to meet you today, littlegiles! :wave:

While I'm not a water park person, I think this is a great move for Carowinds. Just like Fury 325 isn't a single step to move Carowinds into a destination park, this large water park expansion isn't either. Both of them are steps needed to improve the infrastructure and layout of Carowinds in order to make it really something in the upcoming years. Two thumbs up for a Carolina themed water park! :thumbup: :thumbup: BTW, this water park expansion will approximately double the capacity of the water park.

Right now, the water park expansion announcements will increase pass sales while people are thinking of the heat. I think the October announcement will be some kind of thrill flat ride/dark ride to put yet another boost in pass sales during the fall. Announcing it today would have overshadowed Carolina Harbor and I don't think it's a retheme of Boo Blasters as that wouldn't be worthy of a separate announcement. On the flip side, it's not another coaster. yet.

Regardless, if all these big moves pay off, like they appear that they will, we can expect to see Cedar Fair continue to invest a lot more money into Carowinds in the future. I'm excited to be witnessing all of this in my home park.

You all play nice so I don't have to start deleting stuff on my vacation day. :thumbup:

More money is always great :D . I'm really hoping they can appease us with a new coaster and hopefully the money they gain will do that. I think the reason I was a little rash earlier was that I expected something to justify the removal of TR right now.... And I can see that I was mistaken now. As long as they continue to invest in the park and not quit I will be very happy. The plants vs zombies has me stumped. Could it possibly be a water coaster?
Excited about the new water park stuff next year. But, it really isn't anything new considering it mirrors the plans we all already have gone over a month ago. I'm excited about the theater show though. That will be cool. I wanna see that.

My biggest interest is the October announcement. Plants vs. Zombies? Someone said that couldn't be a roller coaster without water...well.... sure it COULD. I'm thinking Gwazi...Dueling Dragons... those were dueling coasters without water. Not to say this WILL be though. Since zombies are referenced, maybe it'll be the awesome dark ride we've been hoping for. Hey, maybe it will be both... a coaster-type dueling ride in the dark. hmmmmm.....
They have a five year plan in place. They just built the world's tallest giga coaster. THAT justifies Thunder Road's removal to some people. And my whole point was I don't understand the complaining when the park is doing something that, while you may not like it, is bringing in money.

Thunder Road's removal, from the mostly reliable sources I've heard from, was not part of the original plan. Stuff happens.

PS, just because someone disagrees and brings up counter points, that doesn't mean they're being rude. I see that a lot on this site.
fishels wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I don't know if I would get too hyped about the October announcement. It may be significant but I doubt it's going to be anything huge. If it was it probably would have been announced today. This was the big show. I think a Boo Blasters retheme might be a possibility, or something using the Action FX Theater.

But at the same time if it something that small... Why not just tell us now? They kinda hyped it in the conference.

That is what I was thinking. If you hype something little like that, there will be huge letdown when it is announced. I feel it is going to be significant, and was not announced today because they did not want it to suck all the air out of the Carolina Harbor announcement. I'm hoping it will be a flat ride for us land lovers.
Capler wrote:
fishels wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I don't know if I would get too hyped about the October announcement. It may be significant but I doubt it's going to be anything huge. If it was it probably would have been announced today. This was the big show. I think a Boo Blasters retheme might be a possibility, or something using the Action FX Theater.

But at the same time if it something that small... Why not just tell us now? They kinda hyped it in the conference.

That is what I was thinking. If you hype something little like that, there will be huge letdown when it is announced. I feel it is going to be significant, and was not announced today because they did not want it to suck all the air out of the Carolina Harbor announcement. I'm hoping it will be a flat ride for us land lovers.

Honestly I will keep my excitement very low and pretend I didn't hear about it.
Based on the Cedar Fair capital investments plan, we know that an "interactive dark ride / digital experience" is on the books for 2016 but has so far not been announced for any of the parks. We also know based on the Cedar Fair dark ride article that there are no Triotech dark rides planned for 2016.

I still think people should temper expectations. Do you really think they would make a major investment based around a cell phone app? That would be even worse than Six Flags.

I'm still hedging my bets on a retheme of the incredibly generic Boo Blasters or some sort of walk-through attraction in the Action FX Theater. But I'd love to be wrong.
Already spoke with my entire family and extended who all have Carowinds gold passes.

If they don't announce something else. We will not be renewing passes for 2016
We visited the current water park exactly 1 time this year so I really have no interest in water stuff to begin with.

Sorry Carowinds but this was a bad move. and removing TR means we will have one less thing to do as a family. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Jonathan wrote:Based on the Cedar Fair capital investments plan, we know that an "interactive dark ride / digital experience" is on the books for 2016 but has so far not been announced for any of the parks. We also know based on the Cedar Fair dark ride article that there are no Triotech dark rides planned for 2016.

I still think people should temper expectations. Do you really think they would make a major investment based around a cell phone app? That would be even worse than Six Flags.

I'm still hedging my bets on a retheme of the incredibly generic Boo Blasters or some sort of walk-through attraction in the Action FX Theater. But I'd love to be wrong.

I think it's gonna be a virtual reality thing. I don't know what, why, or how, but that's just my gut.

Like incorporating optional gaming into the coaster experience. And I'd guess they delayed the initial announcement because Cedar Point's also getting this same thing and they haven't yet had the chance to announce it (because of the recent accident).

But then again, what the hell do I know?? :lol:
SeasonDiningPlan wrote:Already spoke with my entire family and extended who all have Carowinds gold passes.

We visited the current water park exactly 1 time this year so I really have no interest in water stuff to begin with.

Sorry Carowinds but this was a bad move. and removing TR means we will have one less thing to do as a family. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think it was a great move and if it was up to me, I would have picked Carolina Harbor over Thunder Road every time.

Roll with the changes people. In the long run (and TBH, even the short term) this is an excellent move!
They said the October announcement will be a 'first of its kind' thing, so I'm still highly doubting anything regarding boo blasters. What can you do to a Sally Dark Ride to make it a 'first of a kind' attraction unless they are stretching words. Something in the Action(less) theater, though, is certainly a possibility IMO.
arby wrote:It was great to meet you today, littlegiles! :wave:

Right now, the water park expansion announcements will increase pass sales while people are thinking of the heat. I think the October announcement will be some kind of thrill flat ride/dark ride to put yet another boost in pass sales during the fall. Announcing it today would have overshadowed Carolina Harbor. I don't think it's a retheme of Boo Blasters as that wouldn't be worthy of a separate announcement. On the flip side, it's not another coaster. yet.

You all play nice so I don't have to start deleting stuff on my vacation day. :thumbup:

Great to meet you too. I love meeting new friends, but I'm really gonna have to ask you to not tell me what to do. I don't wanna play nice. HAHA I did spend some time chatting with Javis so you have been warned. :lol:

I really agree with your statement about the October announcement. If you are going to make a media wave, you might as well ride it all the way to the shore. They have really upped their game when it comes to Social Media and it's fun to see and play along. Perhaps we will see something fun move into the County Fair area, but still really curious about the Plant vs Zombies thing. Maybe not a ride but a fall garden/Halloween festival? I guess we will find out soon.

Now I'm off to daydream about Coconut Shrimp and Crab Cakes.....mmmmmmmmmm :clap:
SeasonDiningPlan wrote:Already spoke with my entire family and extended who all have Carowinds gold passes.

I'm on the fence about it myself. As far as getting a pass that is. I need to lose some weight before being comfortable in a bathing suit :lol: .
Don't forget the other information that gets shared in various threads here. Cedar Fair has recognized Carwinds as under serving the Charlotte market and has committed to making large investments in it for the foreseeable future. As much as I love Fury 325, that alone doesn't make Carowinds the park they are alluding to in their investment meetings, nor does an expansion and rework of a water park. All of those are just the foundation work that they need to do.

I have been told numerous times that we will not recognize Carowinds in 5 years or so. That only means that a lot more is to come, and not just coasters. Things that make me just not stop by for a few rides on Fury and Intimidator, grab a quick bite to eat, and head back home.
I don't know if it's just the concept art or what, but coasterbruh was right about the water park looking and feeling more tranquil. At the same time it looks vibrant and exciting. I love Pipeline Peak's new colors. Cedar Fair is really good at place-making. My only complaint is the lack of a mat racer. :(