General Carowinds discussion
By RRRAPIDS
Carowinds is a top tier park to me. I have been to several other parks which are a different experience from Carowinds. Carowinds has a certain charm about it that is simply amazing. Before they build a hotel, they need to work on filling in all the gaps. There is still in my opinion a coaster missing from the line up. Nevertheless, I'm glad they are renovating the kids area, and relocating rides to fill in the vacant gaps. Riding Rebel Yell a couple of weeks ago really made me miss Thunder Road. I understand why it was removed, and I love it's replacement. There is still space in its station location to add a mini shuttle launched coaster. But anyway,I really do love Carolina Harbor though. The park as a whole still needs to work on the staffing, lighting in the park, signage everywhere, and not removing rides that are still popular that people love. Before anyone gets started, I'm over Thunder Roads removal know, but as stated before , riding Rebel Yell brought back memories.
By gabed
Jonathan wrote:Let's try to get to being one of the best parks in the Cedar Fair chain, then take it from there...

There are probably 10 to 20 parks (depending on if we're including theme parks) in the US that I think are better than Carowinds as it stands today.

20? I don't know about that.

I am biased towards Carowinds as it is subjectively my favorite park. Objectively however, of all the parks I've been the only ones I feel are better than Carowinds are:

Knoebels
Silver Dollar City
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Cedar Point
and Kings Island (by just a tad)

Carowinds is already one of the best in the nation in my opinion, though it still has a loooooooooong to go before it becomes a showstopper on the world front.
By cadi40
Carowinds has so much potential to become one of the best parks in the World, Let me share my thoughts. Cedar Fair needs to keep on doing what they are doing, And that is redoing poorly themed areas of the park in order to make them more appealing and pleasing. Cedar Fair has been smart lately and has added the new attractions where the renovations are needed most, If they add a few more new attractions along with a few more renovations to the areas that need it, Then we are on our way to becoming one the best parks in the nation and in the world. Carowinds can accomplish that title because they are next to a City that can support the tourism, However they need to do a few things before they can achieve it.

- Add a Hotel and expand amenities
- Establish more employee training
- Add some nice, sit down restaurants in or near the park, Even in the Hotel
- Have better transportation options for guests staying in Downtown or surrounding areas (Carowinds already has a CATs bus line to the park but they need different lines)
- Fill in the Coaster Gaps (Wing Coaster, Launch Coaster, Dive Coaster, Wooden Coaster, Log Flume, Ect.)
- Expand Carolina Harbor once or twice more to include more family friendly attractions and attractions that the entire family can ride together
- Advertise Carolina Harbor as a separate park but without having to pay to get in (In simple terms advertise Carowinds as having Two Parks)
- Keep making major investments in the park that involve adding tons of theme to much needed areas

In addition, A few more things are needed. This would be far out before all of this if any of it would be completed, But if Carowinds can get a little more then half of that list then we are on the way to becoming a World Class park!
By Edwardo
I can think if at least ten parks that are likely more popular, well rounded and "better" than Carowinds to most enthusiasts that aren't Disney and don't include places like Holiday World or Knoebels.
By tarheel1231
Whoops, dumb statement by me. Idk why I counted out Universal and Disney, but they're in a league of their own. So I see Carowinds being one of the top regional parks in 10-15 years.
By BS1983CLT
Carowinds is a good park. However, out of the 13 coasters the park has to offer the only "quality coasters" in my opinion would be: Fury, Afterburner, Intimidator, Gold Rusher, Woodstock Express and Ricochet and maybe Carolina Cyclone on a good day.

The other 8 are pretty un ridable. Flying Cobras, Hurler, Nighthawk hurt.

So, with that being said.... out of the Cedar Fair Parks that I have been to, here is how I rank them.

Cedar Point
Kings Island
Kings Dominion
Carowinds
Knotts
Dorney
Worlds of Fun
Vallyfair
Michigan's Adventure.

Kings Island and Dominion both have 10 coasters or so that are fun and good coasters.
By Jonathan
BS1983CLT wrote:Carowinds is a good park. However, out of the 13 coasters the park has to offer the only "quality coasters" in my opinion would be: Fury, Afterburner, Intimidator, Gold Rusher, Woodstock Express and Ricochet and maybe Carolina Cyclone on a good day.

The other 8 are pretty un ridable. Flying Cobras, Hurler, Nighthawk hurt.

So, with that being said.... out of the Cedar Fair Parks that I have been to, here is how I rank them.

Cedar Point
Kings Island
Kings Dominion
Carowinds
Knotts
Dorney
Worlds of Fun
Vallyfair
Michigan's Adventure.

Kings Island and Dominion both have 10 coasters or so that are fun and good coasters.

There was a Reddit thread on this the other day. I really struggled with my rankings but mine ultimately matched yours pretty closely:

I finally just went to Great America which completes the list for me (aside from Gilroy Gardens). The one I struggled with the most is Knott's. I could see it going as high as #2 on my list as I love the park, but I'm not passionate about any of the rides other than Ghost Rider.
Cedar Point
Canada's Wonderland
Kings Island
Kings Dominion
Carowinds
Knott's Berry Farm
Worlds of Fun
Great America
Dorney Park
Valleyfair
Michigan's Adventure
By barrynyu
Can anyone explain why there are no signs or anything warning people about cell phones? I saw several phones up in the air on Fury last week. Other parks have very obvious warning signs in the stations. Did I miss something?
By Justin
barrynyu wrote:Can anyone explain why there are no signs or anything warning people about cell phones? I saw several phones up in the air on Fury last week. Other parks have very obvious warning signs in the stations. Did I miss something?

I guarantee you if someone's cellphone hits me in the head, I'm pressing charges on that person. I don't understand why people use their phones on the rides (except for Zypher :P)

OH BTW, another thing about as dangerous as cell phones on rides are kids bouncing basketballs around. They go loose all the time. I'm waiting to see a basketball go loose and whack someone riding on Do si do or Electrospin, or trip somebody's grandma. I don't want to spoil any fun but they should make a rule and kick people out for bouncing basketballs around. Kids are stupid nowadays :P
By pproteinc
They are strict with phone being out. The train won't even leave the station or while ascending the lift hill if the driver sees on the camera they'll stop the train on the lift and yell over the speakers to put it away. Once over they lift there's not much you can do at that point. Most people take their phones out going over the drop.
By jeffdavis
I don't understand why people want to take crappy POV videos on rides when you can find professional POV videos on YouTube.

I suspect the basketballs are a good source of revenue both as game prizes and as direct purchases. It is annoying when they get away from the kids and bounce into other people, usually in crowded pathways.

I don't like having to use cubbies and especially having to rent lockers so we show up to the park with nothing except what can be secured in our pockets. I don't get the logic in carrying a basketball or any other park item around all day. Maybe get it closer to time to leave? Maybe I'm just set in my old man ways. :)
By Littlegiles
Didn't we have a Grumpy Old Man Basketball thread at one point? I'm pretty sure I commented on it saying how much I hate the basketballs. If I had the option, I would deflate every basketball that is won in the park. I know they are a great source of revenue, but why can't they award them deflated and have a pumping station at the exit. Would make carrying them around the park much easier and keep them off MY head and out from under MY feet.

Oh look....ding dang...ya'll got this old man ranting again. :lol:
By tinotoot
LOL When I was a SCarowinds monster some kid came through my maze bouncing a basketball, and my maze manager walked up and snatched it from him mid-bounce and held onto it until he got to the exit! I admit they are quite annoying!
By Justin
Flying Cobra's reverse lift hill exploded mid way and train rolled back and is stuck! Nobody on it tho. Testing all day. A lot of stuff is breaking lately.