General Carowinds discussion
chknwing wrote:not to burst your bubble on your layout, but the tail end of it already hasthe new picnic area built there now

Aww, how could I forget about The Grove?
Never mind the layout, it's Google's fault for not updating the images on Google Earth. :roll:
I am very pleased to hear this news of a 300ft Giga confirmed. It was what I had speculated based upon previous Cedar Fair patterns and their reported contract with B&M. They will probably do a similar Behemoth/Leviathan concept similar to what they have done with apparent success in Canada. Behemoth is similar to Intimidator, so the new coaster may be similar to Leviathan. I just hope the new coaster perhaps adds a few more hills and some loops or inversions. But I do wish it was coming in 2014 instead of apparently 2015. I guess they had to wait on city/county permits, possibly a new entrance and parking area, and other infrastructure upgrades. So now I wonder how long it will be before the official announcement is made, now that news has leaked?
And yes I agree some new flat rides are needed as well. Hopefully that will come next. But another major coaster is needed to help make Carowinds more of a destination park. I love Cedar Point, but a 10 hour drive from Charlotte is a bit far when you want to ride Millenium Force. Now there will soon be another choice right here. Great news if you like big coasters. Hopefully more flat rides will eventually follow.
LemondsHead wrote:
tylerSC wrote:I am very pleased to hear this news of a 300ft Giga confirmed. It was what I had speculated based upon previous Cedar Fair patterns and their reported contract with B&M. They will probably do a similar Behemoth/Leviathan concept similar to what they have done with apparent success in Canada. Behemoth is similar to Intimidator, so the new coaster may be similar to Leviathan. I just hope the new coaster perhaps adds a few more hills and some loops or inversions. But I do wish it was coming in 2014 instead of apparently 2015. I guess they had to wait on city/county permits, possibly a new entrance and parking area, and other infrastructure upgrades. So now I wonder how long it will be before the official announcement is made, now that news has leaked?

A giga wasnt confirmed though so.....

Oh it wasn't confirmed??? Am I missing something... :lol:

Did you read the news article?
Adding Millennium Force didnt make Cedar Point a "destintation park" nor did Magnum XL-200. Kings Dominion is still a regional park...
Until, they can build Lake Erie and a beach around Carowinds or there is a real attraction built near Carowinds, it will be regional. Cedar Point's only claim to fame is "The roller coastet captial of the world." Canada's Wonderland has what one less coaster and Magic Mountain has two more. CW is the largest amusement park in Canada, Magic Mountain is near Disneyland, Los Angeles, a beach and Hollywood. Success of amusement park is directly tied to it's location. Dollywood has MADE it's self an exception. Yes, Dollywood is in a tourist area but compare the size of it between Rebel Railroad, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood. SDC Tn. has virtually forgotten about and Dollywood has doubled it's size. Tweetise has grown little since 1957, while Rebel Railroad(1961) now Dollywood gets more visitors than Carowinds. Both TR and RR started with just a train ride.
I think you are sort of right. Cedar Point and Dollywood are "destination" parks because they offer the full vacation package. They are the main attraction in tourist towns. Carowinds is in a major city. There are plenty of people traveling to Charlotte for numerous reasons, but Carowinds has a lot more to compete with in getting those people out to the park. With major additions like this they can pull in more of those visitors, though.
:o Could it really happen? 300ft wing as I had first thought..... hmmmmm...... interesting! That would be awesome... and it would definitely be the first 300ft roller coaster to go upside down.... right?

Hmmm according to the proposed layout, goodbye palladium or would it "fly" around it?
Last edited by RiDeWaRrIoR on September 19th, 2013, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yea I was just looking at where the ride would be and they would have to remove some things if its actually going to go there... I would hope they can at least keep sky flyer.... its awesome... but I guess if it must go, it must go. What was really weird to me is its saying 310-315ft tall, but only 65mph????? hmmm.... maybe its like a 200 ft drop :lol: I guess its possible depending on the angle of the drop and all to only hit 65, but why have something so tall only to go as fast as afterburn... or a little faster :? Very interesting... I hope this holds true I want a wing rider!