General Carowinds discussion
By uscbandfan
I miss FreeFall too. It was one jerky/quirky ride but I loved it.

I think a better place for Drop Tower would be where Scream Weaver is now.... but I wouldn't want to lose Scream Weaver either.
By kirkgun
I had to find some youtubes of Freefall. It looks indentical to "The Edge" that was at Great America (Gurnee, IL) back in the 80's. It didn't last very long there, it malfunctioned and hurt some kids. I remember it being fun, back when it was the newest greatest thing ever. But I didn't get too many rides on it. But watching the video and thinking about it like an old person, with plenty of aches and pains, I think I'd rather have the drop tower.
By tarheel1231
Very low effort wishlist post today, but this my re-imagining of the Crossroads County Fair into "Palmetto Pier", a Myrtle Beach-inspired boardwalk section I have mentioned this before, but this is more of an elaboration:

I would take out the Rita's and the Basketball game and replace them with a mid-sized Ferris Wheel (10-15 stories), replace Yo-Yo with Peanuts Pirates, open up that section behind Yo-Yo and place a full-service Chickie's and Pete's in its place, and add a large flat ride/midway games where TR's station used to be. The Flat Ride I had in mind was either a double-shot S&S tower or a giant frisbee. The former would look more aesthetically pleasing and prominent IMO but the latter is a ride that the park doesn't really have.

As for the rest of the section, the asphalt would be replaced with wooden planks like the current boardwalk, Dodgem's facade would get an upgrade similiar to the Dodgems at CP and Dorney, and some of the theming from the current boardwalk could be placed here and in the Harbor (e.g. the boats, the buoys, etc.)
By redrunner97
After much deliberation, here's what I think makes the most sense regarding the layout of the park:

- The section of Crossroads beyond Boo Blasters should be re-themed to "PALMETTO PIER". :thumbup: Good name and theme, add another entrance to the water park here and we're golden (especially since there's already an existing giant boat ride) Move Yo-Yo and throw in a big frisbee in its place, maybe a water ride if it can fit in the area where White Water Falls used to be?

- The part of Crossroads where Afterburn, Dinos, Boo Blasters, and Windseeker sit should be re-themed to "MIDWAY AMERICA"; it makes more sense and is just generic enough to fit a haunted house, a fighter jet, and a giant swing all at once. Dino's days are probably numbered so, whenever they do go extinct again maybe there will be room for future expansion of it and Planet/Camp Snoopy.

- The existing Carolina Boardwalk should be re-themed to "BLUE RIDGE JUNCTION", and given a more historical and rural redux. Maybe bring back some retro cars or 'hillbilly jalopies' (and TREES!) in that ugly area behind Cyclone (in the place of the greenhouses near the Scarowinds maze). Install a gemstone mining store and let kids comb through colored quartz, arrowheads, fossilized coral, and sand for fun. This would make Goldrush feel way more at home! Throw in some Native American themeing here too and it could be a stand-out section of the park!

- The area of Planet Snoopy / Celebration Plaza where Nighthawk and Intimidator sit should be called "COUNTRY CROSSROADS" since it leads into all different directions and sections of the park (and almost literally has a crossroad).
By redrunner97
I'm up late and decided to resurrect/update a couple of my old ideas from the various wishlists we've had over the years:

CAROLINA CYCLONE: 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
- Replace the current trains with the vest-style one that The Flying Cobras has. If they can make a boomerang enjoyable, then they'll work wonders for restoring this classic coaster's ride experience to its former glory!

- An all-new sign (see my half-assed mock up below :wave: ) with a more modern logo design... don't scrap the original one though, install it inside the station for enthusiasts and patrons alike to see that even though we might change over the years, the past is never forgotten!

- It's time for a makeover! This ride desperately needs a new paint job. Yellow and blue is overused in the park (and red, in my opinion), but orange is not. Paint the rest of the track orange and make the supports a duller, grey-blue color. Keep it colorful, but not too bright. It'd make a cool combo and would fit a coaster about a hurricane strangely well IMO, that pair of colors almost remind me of warm sand and sea foam for some reason.

- Enclose the helix again, and add storm sound effects, maybe even fog and strobe lighting too!

- Installation of a plaque by the queue that explains the ride's historical significance as the first coaster ever made that goes through four inversions!

- And lastly, tear up that asphalt and install some brick pavers. The midway with the corkscrew flying overhead is so beautiful and is easily one of my favorite spots in the park. It'd look even better if this were to happen, and it'd reduce some of the heat on that side of the park as well.

VORTEX BECOMES... BLACK WIDOW
- If a conversion truly is coming, why not throw back to the name of a classic Carowinds attraction? It's a really cool name that once terrorized visitors to the park and it could make for an even cooler coaster theme today!

- Think Banshee and Rougarou, creepy but hip, with sound effects at the drop and maybe some fog during the loop or helix? A giant spider sitting in the grassy area between the coaster and the lake/Skytower could be awesome too!

- Back 2 Black! Vortex used to be black and red, if I recall correctly, so let's bring back its classic colors... the same colors of the monstrous Black Widow!

- New queue area leading up to station. This one's obvious, Vortex's entrance is a nightmare and definitely needs to be reconfigured in a more precise way. It's hard to find the entrance and requires a confusing walk-around to new visitors if they're coming from the front of the park.

Last edited by redrunner97 on August 1st, 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FamousAmos
Something else to add to your new Carolina Cyclone is this:

Put a building over the helix in the end and remove that mound of dirt in the center to open it all up. Use wind, rain, light, and sound effects to create the illusion of a real cyclone as sort of a finale to the ride.
By cadi40
A Wish for me would be a Shopping District, Knott's has one but it includes the Restaurant and like 2 Shops. I would like a smaller version of Disney Springs, Just something that brings more the Thrill Seekers to Carowinds.
By coasterbruh
Knotts is easily accessible from the road whether you're walking or driving. Don't know how much it affects it but I think having it easily accessible makes more non park goers inclined to visit.
By Edwardo
Also, knotts started with a restaurant and expanded to shopping and then the ghost town then the theme park. It's literally a SoCal tradition.
By cadi40
coasterbruh wrote:Knotts is easily accessible from the road whether you're walking or driving. Don't know how much it affects it but I think having it easily accessible makes more non park goers inclined to visit.

I don't think Knott's Shopping Center has really any one visiting except ones that go to the park. I would want something big enough to attract shoppers.
By Edwardo
People go to the shopping district to eat and to buy knotts berry farm products like jams and jellies and snacks. Plenty of people shop there that aren't going to the park.