General Carowinds discussion
By tarheel1231
I really like the New South Marketplace idea, and I’m glad I won you over with my Palmetto Pier idea (though I doubt the park will use it).

I was going to post a new concept but unfortunately the hard drive on my PC is corrupted, so it’ll be a while before I have any concept art.

The concept was essentially to close Rip Roarin’ Rapids and use some of the troughs to create a modern log flume a la Shoot the Rapids (but made by Mack so it doesn’t try to drown anyone). The flume would have an elevator lift similar to Atlantis at SWSD. The entrance would be moved farther back from the plaza to create an entirely new section of the park. This new section would be themed to a logging camp in the Linville Gorge, with the flume being named “Gaping Gorge”.

The other ride in that section would be the world’s tallest pendulum attraction, a 180 ft. Zamperla Giant Discovery named “Soaring Timbers”.

I really wish I could make my concept art but I’m probably going to have to get a new hard drive. :(

By redrunner97
^ In the last decade, Carowinds has lost two out of three water rides, so I think something in that vein would be amazing and help toward rounding out the park's overall ride lineup.

I'd love to see something like this concept finally get realized:
By tarheel1231
Yeah that’s pretty much what I had in mind, the flume would drop into a dark ride section before heading up the elevator lift. Of course there’s not much they could do with a regional park budget, but reusing some of the trough from RRR would reduce the cost of the ride.
By JWitter
tarheel1231 wrote:I really like the New South Marketplace idea, and I’m glad I won you over with my Palmetto Pier idea (though I doubt the park will use it).

I was going to post a new concept but unfortunately the hard drive on my PC is corrupted, so it’ll be a while before I have any concept art.

The concept was essentially to close Rip Roarin’ Rapids and use some of the troughs to create a modern log flume a la Shoot the Rapids (but made by Mack so it doesn’t try to drown anyone). The flume would have an elevator lift similar to Atlantis at SWSD. The entrance would be moved farther back from the plaza to create an entirely new section of the park. This new section would be themed to a logging camp in the Linville Gorge, with the flume being named “Gaping Gorge”.

The other ride in that section would be the world’s tallest pendulum attraction, a 180 ft. Zamperla Giant Discovery named “Soaring Timbers”.

I really wish I could make my concept art but I’m probably going to have to get a new hard drive. :(

CE5A3AA9-4450-4C6F-9FCD-61C324B007A2.jpeg

C5D50184-17C8-4CE0-941C-F74387241280.jpeg

It would be great to see this happen,just add in a mountain themed coaster similar to Expedition Everest in the location of the paladium and you have a great new themed section.
By JWitter
So I'm bored and was looking back through this thread. I decided to look up how much land Carowinds own, roughly 400 acres is the answer. So I looked at google maps, and what do you know that nice little dirt road is the land border. I drew a crude little map on google of the 400 +/- acres. https://drive.google.com/open?id=19KW48U8Sqr2abQzhogNG7k2xwkbUcXgA&usp=sharing

Lots of land left to use :D
Roughly 50 acres of parking lot :cry:
The current park takes up around 130 +/- acres.

Imagine the possibilities :D :D
By tarheel1231
My yearly Nighthawk replacement wish is this:

Mack recently developed a dive coaster variant of their Big Dipper model, and since they’re manufacturing the 2019 coaster, I think it’d be nice if at some point in the future they built one of these at the park. Maybe a higher capacity version with an extra row.

Having it in the center of the park would have a massive impact on the skyline, and it would make for a true centerpiece coaster. As far as color scheme goes, I think something like Skyrush and Soaring With Dragon (yellow and sky blue) would fit well and compliment all of the surrounding coasters.
By sorashaun
Carowinds is still lacking flat rides. County Fair was a nice starting place, but there is still a need for more.

Also, why is our Drop Zone so small compared to the others?
By gabed
The time has come again for my “Size Doesn’t Matter” sermon.

A taller drop tower does not equate to a better drop tower. In most cases (in my own experience) it is the opposite. KD’s is over 300 feet and Zimanjaro which stands at 415 feet did nothing for me. Great views from the top, but the actual drop was very mundane and felt way too controlled. Meanwhile, the Larson ARM towers, which barely break the 100 foot barrier are by far the best ones on the planet. There are exceptions with both taller and shorter towers, but for the most part I’ve found that shorter towers are generally more thrilling.

Ours isn’t my favorite I’ve ridden, but it’s definitely in the upper half if I had to rank all of them.
By Wood Coaster
sorashaun wrote:Carowinds is still lacking flat rides. County Fair was a nice starting place, but there is still a need for more.

I agree..... If the goal is to make it more a family park then more flat rides.... Or a small coaster like the Ricochet

If they want to bring in a Big Coaster then replace and older less popular one.
By tarheel1231
Had an idea for a dark ride. This plays off of my idea for retheming the Boardwalk to Blue Ridge Junction that I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3564&p=99168&hilit=Blizzard#p99168
This is an alternative to the two flat rides.

The idea would be a Triotech dark ride themed to a ski resort being terrorized by an abominable snowman and his minions. You spend the ride shooting at snow/ice monsters and the grand finale is the abominable itself.

The entrance would be through the side of the Carolina Boatworks building through the food stand that’s never open.

From there, the queue would wrap around Cyclone. The ride’s show building would take over the area occupied by the greenhouses and Slaughterhouse (mazes can be moved, right?).

By redrunner97
^ 100% into this idea.

Though maybe a haunted mine ride might fit the theme better? After all, it would be right across the midway from Goldrusher. The villain could be a fearsome ghost miner who was trapped in the mine after an explosion and wants revenge on the mining company for their negligence.

Then Boo Blasters could be converted into a musical show called Phantom of the Opry. 8)

By tarheel1231
I like your idea better actually. The backstory is more creative than what I had in mind. It gives me a Baron 1898 feel.
By CCookieMonster
IS the board of Carowinds and Cedar Fair reading this because I LOOOOOVE this idea! :clap: I like how you both had different ideas and meshed it into one instead of butting heads for a similar approach to the same issue. :thumbup:
By tarheel1231
I like to think there's not much we disagree about in terms of what we'd want to see added to the park. It's just how we would go about it.

Getting back to the Coal Mine dark ride idea, I now have a fully fleshed out concept and even a name.

RIPPER'S REVENGE

Our story begins over a century ago. It was an ordinary day at the Hall Mining Company. Lawrence Hardee and his team were nearing their quota for the week. But just as they were closing out the day, the team discovered something unusual. It was something ominous, something foreign. Exactly what this ominous substance was, they did not know. However, the team knew that their discovery was much, much darker than coal.

The team wanted to report the substance to their manager, but Hardee wanted to keep it to himself. The material seemed to speak to him, insisting that he come closer. Hardee listened, stepping closer and closer towards the substance, until finally....

..the mine collapsed.

All of the workers were able to escape in time, many unscathed; all but Lawrence. Lawrence, refusing to move from the substance, was trapped during the implosion. And until recently, that was the last anyone had thought they had heard of him.

Numerous reports of ghost sightings and ashen monsters around the town have led some to question whether or not this mysterious substance is actually the result of black magic. It has also been reported that at night, Lawrence's wailing can still be heard from the mine, cursing the miners who left him to die. Those who have attempted to investigate this phenomenon have never returned.

If there is any truth to these rumors, the very existence of this town may be at stake. It's now up to you to venture deep into the Hall Coal Mine to investigate this substance and determine whether or not it is a threat. You'll be armed with blasters and tasked with stopping anything from escaping the Coal Mine. But beware of the Ripper's Revenge. One misstep and you'll be trapped in the mine forever with Lawrence.
By Deere839
Carolina Harbor Expansion 1
White water West Blue Slide Family Raft Slide Elements
1.Constrictor
2.Rattler
3.Python
Red Slide Family Raft elements
1.Constrictor
2.AquaSpere
3.Manta