General Carowinds discussion
By jasonwilson88
I'm not sure if this is the thread to post this in but it was an "experience" so I'll share.

When the train is entering the station after a lap, there are no flaps/cones/railings/warnings on either side of the train about keeping your legs in (think Ricochet's warnings). As a person with very long legs my feet were just resting comfortably there while I was talking to my friend and suddenly my right foot got bumped by the side of the station platform (rough metal btw).

Considering I have common sense, I wasn't tossing my leg out or hanging it down or anything, it was just resting in a normal comfortable place and I had no idea that edge of my foot was off. I hate to predict nasty things but I can definitely see someone being slightly more careless than myself and possibly having a brutal meeting with the edge of that platform.

I would highly recommend a ricochet-like flap treatment without all the annoying recordings as the train re-enters since these new B&M trains are completely flush with the platforms with no edges around the sides of the cars.

EDIT: I also plan on suggesting this next time I'm in the park if they haven't fixed it already.
EDIT2: This problem only really exists on the right side of the train.

Now back to discussing how ****** disgustingly awesome our new coaster is.
Last edited by jasonwilson88 on March 29th, 2010, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By swampfox43
Intimidator was everything I was hoping for. Lot's of sustained floating airtime, speed and very little trim usage. At around 3pm, I was able to get 4 rides in less than an hour. Approx 12 minutes from the time I entered the que until I was sitting in the train. Hats off to an incredible crew for keeping those trains rolling and not stacking. Here are a few of my favorite pics I took today.

By derek_lentz
I rode this morning on the 2nd train and the ride was amazing. The first time that I rode it, I was in the first row of the 7th car. It was a fun ride. Immediately after getting off, I realized that no one had figured out that there was a single riders line yet and I walked straight past the line to the front of the line and was immediately place on a train. This time, I was in the 3rd row. The experience in that row was above and beyond the first ride. The amount of airtime was incredible. On every single hill, I would get airtime at the top of the hill and it would continue all the way down until the train bottomed out at the bottom of each valley. It was amazing how much more airtime I got closer to the front.
The only other coaster of this size that I have ridden is Bizzaro at SFNE. Bizzaro is much more forceful but Intimidator was so much smoother. The biggest difference is that every time I rode Bizzaro, they always clamped down so hard on the restraints that it truly felt like you were being stapled into the seat. With Intimidator, the restraints were much more comfortable and actually gave some room to provide some airtime.
I think that the ride on Bizzaro would slightly edge Intimidator, but with the comfort and potential for airtime, I think that Intimidator is an overall better ride.
Why does it seem like the KD fansite crowd is the only group of people on the internet that finds Intimidator mediocre or otherwise unsatisfactory??
By MarkD
Well, I wish I could have stayed longer than noonish but at least I have my platty-pass and the season just started.

I can agree with wormy and others that in the 4th row you really got a sense of the speed and some good whips but by far the middle was a floater heaven. Not sure if we were on row 6 or 7, Allen and Jonathan were behind us, but I believe 1/2 way up every hill - over the top - and 1/2 way down the hills I was just floating. A sensation I havn't had on any coaster to date.

Great job B&M. Thanks Carowinds for giving us a worthy ride.
By Blue Moon
Thanks for the pics swampfox. Now after seeing your icon, I do in fact remember seeing you riding a few times today. We even spoke a few times. :lol:

Is anyone planning on coming to ride today, even with the potentially poor weather? I'll be working again.
Intimidator is a spectacular coaster! Amazing speed, great turns, minimum break usage, a fantastic crew, everything about it is great! I think also flows better than Goliath, the only other hyper that I have ridden.

Personally, I think the rides on opening day were better than the media day rides. Probably because the trains were completely full. Unlike media day were they were half empty.

In conclusion, it's a spectacular addition to the park and I would ride that thing 100 times over and over again.
By chunkyskunk
I was there right at opening and ended up riding it twice. I had limited time and wanting to check out the rest of the park. I waited only 25 minutes the first ride and 12 minutes the second ride. It was awesome in every way. Does anyone know if the coaster has a row or more for larger riders like other B&M coasters?
Well, I rode it 7 times yesterday. WOW. :shock: Definitely one of the best if not the best coaster i've ever been on. Due to assigning seats, I only got to ride the back once and the middle the rest of the times. I didn't get to ride in the front at all unfortunately. Maybe during coasterstock i'll be able to. :) The outside seats for me tended to have a tad bit more airtime than the inside ones but it's still a great ride overall no matter where you sit. The longest I had to wait in line to ride was around 30 minutes except for the time the ride broke down in the morning where I had to wait 45 minutes or so. One time I even got on in 5 minutes due to going through the single rider que. The staff who were running the coaster did an excellent job.

Oh and I love your avatar pic Jonathan. :lol: That was funny seeing that sign in the cafeteria line.
Last edited by carowindsman6654 on March 28th, 2010, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thebigcheese
Foghorn-Leghorn wrote:Why does it seem like the KD fansite crowd is the only group of people on the internet that finds Intimidator mediocre or otherwise unsatisfactory??

because a lot of them have been on nitro, apollos chariot, and diamondback so they just say everything on intimidator can be found on those and its not "unique". Personally I think it looks pretty cool havent got to ride it yet though.
By Dude
I rode this coaster 3 times in less then 30 minutes because i went through the single riders line! Best seat to me was the back and the front!! but the back to me had more airtime and the front had so much speed!!
I'm at the park right now and Intimidator has zero line, I was even able to stay in my seat twice without getting off.

Of important note: during 2 train op like today the trims are both totally 100% off and the mcbr friction brakes don't hit at all ( obviously the mag one does ). The speed difference is noticeable on the 2 return hills. I suggest everyone grab some Sunday rides.